There is no downgrade in SU5

You are not using LOD 400, there is your issue with LODs.
Pop-in is unfortunately the price we have to pay to get 30 extra fps :frowning:

3 Likes

I was flying over Japan yesterday… I think around 25000 feet… I look forward, landscape pop in. I look back, landscape pop in… from some ugly mesh to the nicer version. I look forward again, landscape pop in. It’s really emptying memory to stay low and it unloads the stuff behind your back.

Apart from some mountains turning completely grey (obviously some landscape bug) I’ve also seen this reported in videos. There’s some clear degradation the higher you get, to a completely different graphical set it seems.

Frankly I don’t care too much… I’ve had it with this graphical obsession, when every other part of the sim is broken. But I do think there was a downgrade.

10 Likes

We are closing the topic temporarily since there are a lot of flags that need to be reviewed.

We will re-open it as soon as we have done this

Many thanks for your patience and understanding

2 Likes

I have reopened this topic after the review was completed. I would ask you all to please maintain a civil attitude to other members and respect for their point of view.

Thanks for your understanding

3 Likes

I don’t see a downgrade in SU 5 either.
:man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Uh, sorry, I don’t need your screenshots. I have the simulator. I have eyes. There HAS been a downgrade. It’s absolutely laughable to pretend there hasn’t been.

24 Likes

There is a huge immersion downgrade for me and its not imaginary, this isn’t just about visuals. The pop-ins and loading issues are real. As I mentioned before, I started developing a sort of “pop-in anxiety” because of the constant loading everywhere, and I can’t fly or enjoy it like that. Just taking a screenshot in an area that loaded fully by luck, doesn’t prove your point I’m afraid. I’m not a hater, hugo, I respect your enthusiasm, but there are issues, and we shouldn’t belittle those who experience them, it does more harm than good. I like some things about the new update and dislike many others at the same time, but I won’t resort to hate and still believe in this project. I, personally, let it rest for now and wait for an update. Cheers

25 Likes

Keeping settings the same between SU4 and SU5 e.g. LOD at 100. The constant pop-in of buildings and terrain textures changed all happening within sight just looking out from the cockpit seems obvious and irritating to said. The lighting also look much brighter in default b787 cockpit even when sky is all cloudy and grey. Look worst for me.

3 Likes

I’ve been using FS since the 80’s, and used FS2020 on launch day. Everyone loves eye candy, and everyone wants a stutter free 60+ FPS experience. Long timers know that the most important thing for a flight simulator is a smooth experience. The eye candy comes second, and really, FS2020 still blows me away on how amazing it looks. The devs are trying to make everyone happy, which really is impossible. But they are trying.

For my system, SU5 has (knock on wood) eliminated stutters and flights are very smooth. I have noticed that ground textures do reduce in resolution the higher you climb, but never to the point of not recognizing landmarks from that height.

I have also noticed some terrain does quickly pop if you look in different directions, but it happens very quickly. Large mountains (Mt. Rainier, Baker, Helens, Hood, Adams) appear as they should in the distance and look great.

I have increased my graphic settings (shadow maps, ground texture mapping) and the sim is still smooth and no stutters. The notorious stuttering while departing south from Seatac in Seattle is gone.

Yes, I have experienced CTD like many others but slowly adding back mods has been promising.

Finally, it’s good to be passionate about this hobby. The community keeps driving the development of this sim to new heights.

12 Likes

With over 600 hours on this sim on Ultra settings, I disagree. There is a huge degradation especially for folks who were running Ultra settings. There are plenty of examples and screenshots so do your research.

20 Likes

Really? Just check system memory and Vram usage. It’s been reduced to Xbox levels. Wasted system resources right there. Use to use 9 gigs vram and upward to 20 gigs system memory before update. Now not coming close to half that. Nothing wrong with lower end systems, but higher end systems are take the brunt of this update.

10 Likes

What about the washed out, too bright and over saturated colors?

They have tuned a PC game for HDR Oled TVs … when most people play on a standard monitor.

23 Likes

Yup, there is no question SU5 is nerfed for Xbox. I used to fill up 23 gigs of RAM while playing this game but now…yeah now under 10 gigs used. This is clear evidence features have been removed to fit Xbox.

4 Likes

I’ve just tried a long flight into mountainous area and I can confirm all the disappointed people said from the beginning of the sh.tstorm : it was just :nauseated_face::face_vomiting: !
BUT, the day before, I’ve seen no difference between SU5 and SU4…
So, my question is : Could this be due to too low bandwidth of Azure servers since launch on Xbox?

1 Like

Look it’s great for lower end systems…like they always state " no pilot left behind" , but just add a slider to allow our hardware to perform the way is capable to.

5 Likes

I think you answered to the wrong person (me). :wink:

No research to do for me, I fully agree with you.

So I assume you meant @Hugothester , whom you cited in your answer direted to me…

There’s a definite downgrade. I believe my own eyes and the countless hours spent recording footage.

Global Rendering 100 is more like a 70 (or less) now and it’s the very first thing I noticed after updating. This is how they achieved higher frame rates. It’s robbing Peter to pay Paul.

I’d rather have SU4 FPS and Visual Quality than the degraded visuals and higher FPS of SU5.

Again, global rendering 100 is not the 100 it used to be. Now we know why that video showcased 4K at Global Rendering 40. That’s where the swap has occurred.

13 Likes