Thinking of getting into VR

Well, I only have a 3060TI, so I have to be quite aggressive. For the foveated stuff I do have quite a heavy balance vertically, so that the main instruments are usually in the inner ring. The blue sky in center top area then get’s shiftend into the middle ring but that’s far less noticable. But yeah, I do still heavily notice the resolution drop off outside.

I’ve spent I don’t know how many hours tweaking, I kinda don’t wanna touch it anymore. But you’re right, I’m sure it’s not the ideal version.

You have a much more powerful system then me, so I’m not sure it would help. But just for the foveated rendering, it means that the whole image (on each eye) is split into three rings, inner (max resolution, what you said as your main), middle and outer. You can then tweak both the position (eg. 60% radius of whole image) as well as resolution fall off (eg. 1/4 resolution) for these rings (middle/outer).

The idea is that you don’t have to render things in your peripheral vision with full resolution. It work’s best on headsets that have eye tracking, the G2 doesn’t so it can only use fixed foveated rendering, meaning the center of the ring is fixed in the middle as opposed to dynamic where you actually look at any given time. Still, it’s a way to further improve perf depending on how much you tolerate visual artifacts on the edge of the vision.

I thought you had the 3080ti! That makes sense now.

I use the wide performance preset with the 3080ti. That and a slight resolution drop give a big frame rate boost. I dropped the resolution to the point where I noticed and then backed off. Sometimes I think I see lightning out the window if I’m looking down. It’s just the FOV rendering playing tricks.

FSR scaling and nearly any sharpening level usually gives good results without shimmers.

I also find mip-map bias helps with cockpit clarity.

The G2 headset can feel like a dozen different headsets depending on how you’re wearing it. Sometimes you hit that sweet spot and other times it’s a struggle.

An important consideration I’ve found tuning for VR is that I notice imperfections and issues less when I’m flying vs. when I’m testing and tweaking. You can get yourself quite worked up trying to chase perfection.

I started taking some screenshots for you but I may not be able to get them all done untill the weekend.

It’s not as daunting as it first seems. It’s no worse than starting up a complicated airplane.

Ok brilliant I’ll have a look tomorrow once I finish work tonight and have a doddle with it

And Yes I’m on a RTX 3080ti with a 12900ks

A neat VR tip is that you can grab the popup menus and use the scroll wheel to position them in 3D space.

I like to make my ATC window super small and tucked in somewhere out of the way for quick reference. Unfortunately, it doesn’t remember position.

Hi all so I thought I’d update you all on my progress so far

So I’ve had about 10hrs this week within VR due to work commitments and family, but I’m absolutely hooked now!

I’ve dialed in my settings, and msfs looks amazing. I’ve gone for high/ultra on everything, with terrain lod and objects both set to 150

In openxr I’m running 85% resolution with 100% sharpening (not sure if sharpening is too high?)

I’ve got motion reproduction off as I don’t like how everything looks, I’ve got it set to quality rather than performance and yeah I can’t think of everything that’s in the openxr settings :joy:

I’m getting a mostly locked 45fps with dips down to 40 at a push. I’m absolutely blown away how immersive it is and I don’t think you can grasp just how immersive it is, unless you try vr

My impression was that it’ll be me moving around and then the same image displayed on my monitor would just move with me in my headset - how wrong was I!! - The depth, and 3d feeling makes you feel like you are in the cockpit

I don’t think I could go back to my monitor now, I mean sure my monitor is crisper, but my gosh the feeling of slipping on my g2 and loading into a plane still blows me away

I’ll add this - if anyone has a moderately powerful pc, and you’ve thought about VR, take it from me it is 100% worth it and will absolutely blow your socks off :joy:

Thanks all!!

8 Likes

Since I got my Reverb G2 a few days after you I thought I’d also throw in.

VR is just awesome! And I’ve already pretty much relegated my monitor to second class, and just things like airport reviews, etc. I’ll be full time flying in VR from now on.

I watched a few setup videos and have my openxr toolkit pretty much around 90-95% and some sharpening. Have shake reduction setup, need to play more with the post processing settings.

I can’t figure out the windows and how yet I’ll do vatsim but for now I just love it.

My only slight issue is the blur at distance and maybe that’s just getting used to looking with my head plus the current limitation of the G2. I have settings mostly high and a few ultra. Performance is rock solid smooth with absolutely no stutter.

I have a 12700k/3080/64/2TB.

Thanks mainly to this discussion and following @PotentialTERROR journey to the G2. Made me decide to jump in too. Saved me a lot of money on extra cockpit stuff. Don’t need to build one because now I am in the real thing!

6 Likes

All great to hear.
I mostly fly GA aircraft, and freeware gliders (AS33 mostly) with VR is so magic. But I must say, in VR helicopters are a total blast, well worth giving a try, even now before, like gliders, they are not fully supported. Learning to hover close to the ground in VR is so realistic, with the 3D effect at its best…it’s so addictive. I bought the H145 after fooling around with the freeware H135. Also, the freeware Huey is a must for some Apocalypse Now retro flying…with mandatory Fortunate Son on the headphones, lol.

@bucsgolf142293 so glad to hear you’ve got yours and are having such a great time with it

I’ve been working some really long night shift hours this week, so I haven’t really had much time to fly this week which is a bummer

But again I still can’t believe just how immersive VR is, like you I found that my monitor is far crisper, but I also realise that it’s a limitation of VR due to your eyes needing to be so close to the headsets little screen

Again I can’t stress enough, if you’ve been thinking about VR, all I can say is wade in and do it, it is so amazing!!

Only issue I’m having and I can’t tell if it’s something I’ve done, but in the Fenix A320, my Thrustmaster throttle quadrant doesn’t want to play nice.

All the flaps/spoilers/switches work as they should, however my throttles don’t do anything. They work fine in 2d? However in VR they don’t move and the engines throttle up and down on their own. Confused??

1 Like

Have you tried unplugging the USB or moving it over to a powered USB hub? No idea why these suggestions would work, but they might. I have heard the Fenix sometimes being difficult with devices.

Oh shoot forgot to update. I managed to sort it, somehow my throttle profile under controls had reset itself, so I had to go through the Fenix guide and reset certain throttle mappings.

It’s all good now though, but thanks so much for chipping in mate!.

I’m gonna have a go at getting a few hours in VR this weekend I hope, although I just got in from work and it’s 03:40am in the UK right now, so it’s time for some sleep and I’ll see how the day unfolds :joy:

I’ll have a go at trying out different openXR settings, and I’ll report back with any info I can

I’m really happy it’s working well for you guys. As you say, there is no going back haha.

Now let’s hope the devs will at some point put in a little bit of work for us VR pilots.

2 Likes

@thecoronadian

Absolutely, I have not flown using my monitor since getting my Reverb G2v2!!

Asobo have to push the boundaries with VR, as it’s absolutely worth the effort on their part. I had a quick GA flight earlier and I just can’t help but be amazed by how truly stunning msfs looks in VR

I’m hoping that the incoming DX12 enhancement, plus DLSS will seriously push things into another era for sim enthusiasts

1 Like

I have the Oculus 2 and the resolution is not good. I love the 3D feeling of sitting in the cockpit but actually struggle to see some of the #'s on the dials. I’m sure someone with knowledge could tweak it considerably but doubt it would make it acceptable. Are the newer more expensive VR units actually that great ?? FYI, I have an older PC and graphics card that I plan on upgrading very soon. I’m sure that will help a ton but then I would need to figure how to use all the knobs etc in an airbus.

@PiperPilot3604 if u have a low end gpu you are going to struggle no matter what vr headset u have. i have a 3080ti and a quest 2 and the clarity is decent using link cable with a few settings tweaks. i used to have a varjo aero (the highest clarity headset) and can say the quest 2 is 80-85% as good clarity wise.

2 Likes

I’d highly recommend the Sting S4 for VR. It’s a well modeled ultralight with a canopy, working ballistics parachute and works really well for low and slow sightseeing. It has some minor mouse VR issues but I communicated them to the developer.

On just swapping my 1070 out for a 3080ti I was blown away by the sharpness on the Quest 2. Other visual and lighting effects were also way better.

Of course, the blown away aspect doesn’t last long as it’s a constant chase to improve cockpit clarity. Many say it’s MSFS and say cockpit clarity is better in xplane.

As for distance clarity, I’m nearsighted, so it looks better to me than it does in real life. :grin:

1 Like

With the reverb G2 and a new-gen system plus 3080 the cockpit clarity with the 737 is only a bit worse than my 1440p monitor. It’s easily clear enough to see accurately and play with the FMS without much fuss.

But as I struggle for the balance with further distance clarity I am sure I’ll run into issues. For now I’m loving the cockpit for instrument work and flying in the clouds or an overcast looks good. Sunny days are too blown out.

Do you use the sunglasses in OpenXR toolkit?

Reverb G2 with higher render scale is really clear. Just waiting for DLSS to attempt 200% and still get reasonable frames.