This is how I have "fixed" the brutal fps loss from SU11

I have been having terrible FPS trouble since the new update, but I’ve pretty much for it fixed and hopefully this will help other people too.

I run a:
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6X 3.7 GHz Turbo,
AMD RX 6700 XT 12GB,
32 GB DDR4,
512GB SSD,
Windows 11 Pro 64bit

And I had everything at MAX and ULTRA. Only thing that changed is the update.

I have done all the following things, and it has helped.

• SU11 has increased the draw distance so 400 before is not the same as 400 now, it’s much larger. So I changed my Terrain LOD from 400 to 350, and my Object LOD went from 200 to 175.
  • In-Game go to Settings / Data and delete the rolling cache.
  • Use DX11 instead of DX12 (Beta).
  • In your MSFS folder go to: Official/OneStore/fs-base-cgl/CGL and delete all the numeric folders (total of 60GB) but leave DB_Notices.txt untouched.
  • In the Windows search bar, type “Delivery Optimisation”.
    Select “Delivery Optimisation advanced settings”.
    Set both Percentage of measured bandwidth limiters to 100%.
  • In the Windows search bar, type “Command Prompt”.
    Right Click and select “Run as administrator”.
    Type: sfc /scannow and wait for the progress to complete.
    Type: netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal
    By pressing Enter, you should receive an “OK.” message.
    Reboot your computer for this change to take effect.
  • Open RegEditand navigate to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/NDU
    Find and right-click on the „Start“ option and click on „Modify“
    Change the value from 2 to 4 and click on OK.
    Restart Windows.
6 Likes

Nice, how much has it helped - what sort of FPS increase was found?

where do i find the LOD file to change ? Is this in the CFG file?

NDU makes no difference anymore.

People be aware this may work for some dont go changing everything because it works for 1 person.

Delete rolling cache should be sufficient enough.

Deleting and amending config files is not something we should be doing.

6 Likes

@DaveJK9173
Pre Update: 60fps
Post Update: 7-25
Post Fixes Above: 45-55

@iamcanadian2756
The Terrain Level of Detail and Object Level of Detail can be found in the In-Game Settings Graphics Menu.

@KevinSull
There was no deleting or amending of config files.

1 Like

Deleting folders etc.

Again, I never even empty my community folder and I never had an issue with an update.

Maybe I’m a lucky one who knows but sometimes its best to leave things alone.

Saying that I’m glad its resolved your issues.

5 Likes

Fortunately I didn’t have any mods installed in the community folder because I didn’t know we were supposed to clear it before the update lol

1 Like

Some people suggest clearing it before updating but I never do.

Like to live on the wild side lol.

All jokes aside, I stop changing things months ago because with every update something changes and I can never rememeber what I changed.

2 Likes

I reverted back to the second GR driver after DX12 optimizations hit - 522.25.

3 Likes

Thanks I tried bringing the sliders down to 25 It does not help at all. But i found its the new aircraft with 11 that kills my FPS. IN VR or Desktop.

2 Likes

That helps explain why I’m getting more stutters. For me this started with SU10.

I was away from the sim for a while but had been flying smoothly at low level and even for the most part around busy airports with the default “Ultra” setting. I had only lowered AI traffic levels of all types. When I came back to the sim, SU10 was immediately installed and then my performance really seemed to suffer. The only other changes to the system were the video driver updates. Made some changes to the anti-aliasing, moved to DX12, and that seemed to smooth it out but not quite what I had with SU9.

SU11 reintroduced a lot of stutter and panning lag. I changed my default setting to “High End” and also did comparisons between DX11 and DX12. The new global setting helped a lot and things still look very nice. DX12 is slightly smoother for me as well. When looking a the GPU performance, under DX12 GPU use is lower overall and with less 100% spikes, while at the same time more shared GPU memory is used. The dedicated GPU memory is getting nearly 100% used under either version of DX.

PS. None of the CPU threads get pegged.

2 Likes

For me its CPU is lagging, thats my choke hold now. Never had that so much before. I am going to clean it all up inside maybe its getting to hot? Another post mentioned that so it slows down.

3 Likes

This is the BEST “fixing” ever !!! thank you so much! After your procedure I have a NEW, STABLE and high FPS Simulator!

1 Like

I would go a little further there, and run all 6 of these Windows maintenance Tools.

1. Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

2. Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

3. Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth

4. sfc /scannow

5. Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore

6. Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup

3 Likes

I don’t know where that kind of reduction is supposed to come from. Ftom all my experience with previous updates and now this one those numbers don’t sound plausible. I initially had some performance problems too, and went back between SU10 and SU11 beta several times.
But the performance loss was in the single digits in identical settings and after the final update to the Beta I could no longer reproduce the loss.
I also did some tests on the draw distance with both versions several times and went back and forth between SU10 and SU11 Beta. And I came to the conclusion that they either changed very little or nothing at all.

BTW: Have you tried a complete reinstall incl. the Official folder? That’s the only way to make sure all files are on the most current version.

I don’t get the thing with deleting CGL files. Those are normally satellite photos for the ground. What is deleting them supposed to accomplish?

1 Like

You’re very welcome, the difference was remarkable. Hopefully they will fix it properly in a hotfix.

1 Like

Here’s what I am using. I have an HP Omen 16 laptop. Windows 11 64-bit, AMD Radeon RX 6650M with 8GB VRAM, Ryzen 7 6800H 8 core with 16GB RAM with 3.19 ghz. Turbo runs me up towards 3.8/3.9.

What would you suggest to improve FPS? I found I get smoothness running DX12 with AMD FSR2 in balanced with average FPS being 40-45-50. Have you tried using AMD FSR2 with DX12? If I switch back to DX11 my only good option is TAA.

The CGL files are created on the initial installation of msfs2020…for what exactly, I’m not sure, but they are not used in any capacity by the sim…the gain from deleting them is regaining 60gb drive space

1 Like

For the rolling cache only delete or delete and desactivate ?

1 Like

Only Delete, you only want to let your rolling cache “refresh” so to speak.