This is the 225/03 wind thread

Yeah, i know. Wishful thinking haha. IF there happens to be a way eventually, and this mess isn’t sorted by then, Ill gladly buy a 3rd party weather addon.

Until then, fingers crossed we are just being pessimists and they can fix this. Like you said that, its a bit disturbing after over a year of testing with the public, they literally just added “Live Weather Not Updating” to the list of known issues. Im afraid even when the first patch comes for the weather, its still not going to be perfect. There are so many facets of what wrong with it right now. Winds Aloft, Weird ATIS Reports, surface winds disappearing, its just a mess right now. Its beautiful to look at, but still, a total mess.

Also for what its worth, from what I can tell, Navigraph is working on a navdata solution for the sim at the moment. but Asobo has already partnered with NavBlue for navdata. If its true with navigraph, maybe these partnerships aren’t going to keep 3rd party development as locked out of these areas as many think.

Just sent this ticket. Need to keep pressing here.

Am generating this ticket to specifically focus on the wind issue with the live weather. The issue affects more than just the 225/3 winds aloft issue that is widely reported at this point. Have done several tests and attaching the screenshots of each to show what is happening. All tests were done by comparing the winds depicted on the flight map, and flight start intro against the winds shown in the PFD. The plane behavior on the takeoff roll matched what was shown on the PFD. All tests were done at airports that showed high wind speed in the flight planning map. Generally there are three scenarios:

1. Wind at surface level and aloft is stuck on 225/3
  2. Wind at surface level is stuck at 225/3, but then increases to match what it should be once climbing above 1000’ AGL or so.
  3. Wind at surface level is substantially less (in some case 20 knots less) than what it should be, but then increases to match what it should be once climbing above 1000’ AGL or so.

In all cases, when reviewing the outside world, it is evident that the waves, grass blowing, and actual sound you hear depicts a strong wind. For some reason it just does not appear around the aircraft, like there is some sort of bubble around the airplane. Some forum users are finding interesting things by using the developer mode (ambient wind vs actual), these discussions are taking place in the bugs forum in some of the highly voted wind topics.

3 Likes

Nice! Dont we get another developer blog update today too? Being they finally added this to the known issues list, and this issue winning in votes in this forum by a LONGGG shot, Itd be a massive relief to hear some discussion on their end about it today.

I got video proof today during a multiplayer session with a friend!

Multiple times during the flight, using Real World Weather, the wind would change instantly from the typical 225/03 to something radically different, like 70/19 (which was way more representative of the real world weather conditions in the area at that time of the flight). Clearly demonstrates that something is completely wrong with the live weather and wind.

I got one of the times on a recording and uploaded it to YouTube. You can watch it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omwiCmyMV28

At about 23 seconds, you will see the wind change straight away. I’m not sure if it had to do with the altitude change reaching some sector change, or if it was the general world position.

1 Like

So perhaps what I heard from Meteoblue is correct! “Significantly Improved”!

This thread itself is actually the first mentioned one :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

This is great news! Not only weather, but many other things are going to be fixed in the next patch it could almost feel like a ‘Service Pack’ release. But lets not get too carried away (as I get carried away…)

3 Likes

Haha, Im really glad to see that not only did they ackowledge “live weather” being broken, but that it is a multi faceted issue. Seems promising. They added this whole voting thing, and said they wanted our feedback. These weather topics have been stealing the show in an absolute landslide.

The sim on release day is whatever it was, they’ve made it clear that this is the beginning, and our input is what will keep the sim alive and growing for many years. If they are able to listen to, and work with us all from the getgo like this, its a very promising future indeed!

5 Likes

I just had a look at the Development update.

Here we all were complaining and almost begging for the issue to be acknowledged, First were saw a vague reference to it hidden in a minor release, then the known issues was updated and it seemed kind of dismissive… but seeing that it’s now shown by Microsoft as the single biggest issue!

That’s some nice work boys! :grin:

2 Likes

Just to pile onto what everyone else has said… In the main map I show proper winds. In the sim the ATIS shows proper winds. The ATC seems to assign runway based on proper winds. The winds on the G1000 always show 3kts or less and generally around 225. Sometimes the winds gust a bit or change direction over ridges. If I manually set the winds to what they are supposed to be, I can feel the difference especially if over 10kts

1 Like

This is encouraging! And its also good that they know we are here to help!

2 Likes

All,

A thought that has been bugging me for a little while now… Possibly another topic/thread

Once this weather issue is solved and we start looking at doing commercial flights (for those that do)

How vastly different are we expecting this to be from ActiveSky or similar.

At the moment, I use PFPX and ActiveSky to create my detailed flight plans and fuel loads.

Has anyone else given any thought to how this will be performed later on? Flight Planning actually creates a fairly big area of enjoyment for me. The finer details of making sure your fuel load, payload and fuel burn are optimised to the best possible point, so that you’re not landing with too much left over but also not running short.

I don’t think PFPX or MSFS will be capable of talking to each other, unless there’s some kind of Export function (or even just a file which loads the current ‘data’ for PFPX to read)

Anyone else got any thoughts on how this might be resolvable?

Hi there,

I’m not sure if I fully understand your question. When it comes to accuracy in your flight planning, there’re only two things that have to be aligned IMO:

1. Aircraft profiles

2. Weather conditions

Regarding 1), I think you don’t have to worry about anything. The 3PD (like PMDG, Leonardo etc.) will take care of their planes to match their real-world counterparts, just like PFPX and Simbrief already did for their flight planning software. Almost no discrepancies there.

But yeah, 2) has to be seen in the future, as the weather conditions within the sim need to match real life within certain limits, otherwise accurate flight planing won’t be happening the way that you’re used to. Also takeoff-performance calculations could be inaccurate if the conditions aren’t as given by the METAR.

Well, it all depends on the data quality, the update frequency within the sim and their interpolation model between two updates; if it’s good enough, they might indeed open up a whole new level for flight simming, and we’ll finally get rid of thunderstorms just sitting at an airport just because the METAR is reporting “CB” or “TS”. It might get very exciting and much more dynamic–hopefully… :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for the response. Aircraft profiles I’m not too worried about — it’s more the weather that I’m questioning (hence I’ve mentioned it here)

Currently, ActiveSky will sit out its information in a .txt (or .XML? I’ve never looked that closely) and in PFPX you can select a weather source and point it to ActiveSky’s export. This is then taken into consideration when planning your flight and fuel.

If PFPX can be updated to read the current data METEOBlue is sending to MSFS, this whole question is nulled, but I’m not sure if this something Microsoft/Asobo have considered.

Ah, now I get you! :slight_smile:

Isn’t there a way in PFPX to pull real-world weather? Because then you wouldn’t have to care about that at all since MSFS (presumably) depicts the very same information (i.e. live weather) in your sim.

However, if you wanted to create custom weather in MSFS and use that in PFPX, you’d definitely need an export from the sim, I agree.

I notice a number of people saying they have contacted Metroblue about the inaccuracy of the weather. Surely they are not to blame, since ATC, or at least the information that comes up on instigation of the flight has the correct conditions, but they are not transferred to the weather engine?

Odd that it works in some places and not others.

Hi,

I have issue with real time weather. The wind always shows 3kt in G1000. In FL100 or ground I have the same wind.

Thanks
Mauricio

Hi Mauricio,
There is a problem with winds Live Weather in certain areas. This is a known problem.

This is a known issue.

doing LFBD to KSEA, 225/03 all the way.

What really irks me here is that this was known since July. Don’t ask me how I know.