This sim has not proper simulation of visibility

With the lack of a visibility control (which has been asked numerous times), the fact that there is only 3 layers of clouds and the impossibility to control clouds density, this sim is totally lacking any visibility simulation.

They said it wasn’t realistic to have a visiblity control like in fsx and such, they are probably right. However, with the lacking things previously mentioned, I wonder how on earth are we supposed to properly depic foggy conditions?.

I would use a thick layer of clouds to represent a haze, but as soon as I make it of a meaningful thickness, it will become way too dense and will just look like a normal cloud when going through it, which is not what I want. On the other side, if I want a very thin but dense cloud layer, it is not possible either as clouds density is a constant value in the sim, only controlled by thickness, so playing with clouds is not an option to obtain proper fog/haze which is what developers are expecting me to do to control visibility.

Aerosol is NOT intended for this purposes and is equally completely ignored by the live weather so not going to bother with it here.

Even the live weather fails miserably to set any visibility limitation where the own weather is telling me there should be:

I find this extremely dissapointing, especially when the devs have stated no intention to solve this. Visibility plays a key role in aviation but we absolutely always fly with perfect visibility up to the horizon. So are we sopposed to fly with perfect visibility forever in MSFS?

Have any of you EVER experience some reduced visibility using live weather/manual preset? I haven’t!. Something like this:

This is a real issue imho and don’t like the way devs are taking it.

44 Likes

Yes i noticed that too…a friend of mine is a private pilot and he’s absolutely disappointed about the lack of minimalistic weather control. The clouds look amazing no doubt…but as you say…fog is a bit different. Maybe there is a way to get fog because i have seen fog in the past. Maybe it was a cloud :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I have NEVER had haze like in the pictures I posted, in neither, live weather nor manual preset.

3 Likes

Can you try using customized weather to recreate what it’s supposed to look like? If you can, then that means the necessary elements are already available and their job is to fine tune the parameters (or the interpretation of those parameters)

A setting for haze / air pollution would be welcome.

5 Likes

I have to say that i had fog on ground for about 1000 feet…but at higher altitudes there was no fog

In the weather window, Aerosol density is what your looking for.

2 Likes

I can get decent ceiling and visibility.

2 Likes

I got to agree with the OP. This is a disappointment in a sim that makes such great claims for the weather (which I have to admit for the most part is superb). My frustration is not poor visibility, but good clear VFR…

Even in ‘clear’ weather, the effect of haze, dust, water and so on limit visibility. In theory, from 5000’ altitude, the geographic horizon is something like 80nm if I remember correctly. In MSFS you can duly see the horizon that far away. In reality, the visibility is almost never that far - even in CAVOK conditions.

In other sims, I always set the visibility to something like 16 - 25 nm. No scientific reason for this; just looks ‘about right’ to me.

There are exceptions - many years ago, when I did my qualifying solo cross country the visibility was something like 60 miles. Despite being short of time (someone else wanted the airplane) my instructor sent me off as it was ‘the best flying day he’d ever seen’. That’s the point - he was ex-RAF with many years as flight crew and these conditions were something remarkable.

4 Likes

Have a look at the wish list. Has this been raised? If not, suggest you put a thread their to gather votes

2 Likes

Really? They just released a patch where graphics got messed up and A320 engine 1 can’t even remain on, and your problem is with a lack of visibility control? X D

Irony apart, with the images you posted I see what you mean, I’m curious to know how and when something will move in the right direction

NO!, did you fully read the first post?. Aerosol has nothing to do with this, that’s a simple low altitude pollution haze, and btw, live weather completely ignores it so even with aerosol being a thing in the sim, we are always going to fly with 100% visibility in LIVE weather!

2 Likes

that’s only at ground level and with no density control. There is a thick cloud with predefined density so you can’t get anything like in the pictures I posted in MSFS.

Absolutely agree. In real life the most common visibility condition by far is NOT perfect visibility, but degraded visibility. This is NOT possible in this FS at the moment.

2 Likes

I have asked for this MANY times, as well as others, did you read the first post?

1 Like

It was perfectly clear under the cloud cover (down to 220 feet), until it was adjusted by the aerosol setting.

Apples with oranges. Why can’t I complain about something asked long ago?, even previously to the patch 2?

Having perfect visibility constantly is a big concern to me, independently to the systems, which will eventualy get fixed, but not sure about this. Don’t want to fly forever in perfect visibility.

4 Likes

This is probably one of my biggest issues. For those who like to practice IFR / instrument approaches, there needs to be a way to set a specific visibility (down to or below minimums). The other bugs will get sorted out. This one may require some redesign.

Unfortunately 3rd party weather companies are limited in what they can do. Rex made this comment about their upcoming weather add-on when asked about visibility: “Surprisingly there is no function to control visibility directly. Not sure why that is.”

Since we added voting to the forums, would suggest you go to the link below and hit the VOTE button at the top left of the original post. Also a report to ZenDesk is not a bad idea.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/weather-visibility-control/243175?u=juicebox7535

8 Likes

I did not say you shouldn’t complain about it, I was making irony at the current state of the simulation. Feel free to complain about anything you want

yeah, this is a really huge lacking thing in the sim, and the most concerning thing is the devs team thinking there is nothing to do about it :expressionless:

Didnt know even REX had said that, then it is even more worrying :frowning:

I already voted in that thread but yeah, this should be voted to death!

1 Like