Thrustmaster TCA quadrant still not completely working

Yes in control settings its works fine with both throttle 1 and 2 with their own mappings per axle, but inside the sim throttle 1 lever doing thrust for both engines…

Is there a xml file for the mappings and axis sensitivity curves? I think osobo or throstmaster have copy/paste wrong mappings there.

OK, I think I see what you mean and I’m not sure what it’s supposed to do IRL, or if the sim has it wrong.

In mine, if I pull back on throttle lever 2 in flight, the engine performance doesn’t actually change but the donut does move showing that the sim is reading the engine 2 throttle lever correctly. I also get a “LVR ASYM” message on the PFD (using A32NX).

If I pull back on throttle lever 1, then both engines spool down.

Someone with more experience will have to answer if this is normal for the A320 IRL.

3 Likes

Ah okey then its not just me😁 yeah maybe some irl pilot could answer or flybywire devs in discord?
Just testet the latest dev build of A32NX and its the same there with the engines.

filmed it with my iPhone from the screen but I can’t upload it here for some reason :sweat_smile:

The weird thing is that you can see each individual throttle lever move in the virtual cockpit. I’m guessing it must be a bug.

Yepp I can see both i virtual cockpit moving for eng1 and eng2 but engines spools from lever1 as you said :sweat_smile:

Yup, getting the same here - engine 2 throttle is ineffective in terms of thrust, however it does register on the display as changing throttle modes. Engine 1 throttle can control both engines.

I don’t think I’m wrong in saying this quadrant still has a long way to go until it’s working as we’d like.

Hi,

first of all, thank you for your effort. I took over your config like this.
But I have a very strange problem:

When I activate the button “ENG 2” (Button 4), I see in the simulator how the switch moves forward - as expected. But the turbine does not start. There are still yellow xxx-indicators on the display.

But when I use the mouse, the turbine starts up. The numbers move upwards. Although actually the same thing happens. With ENG 1 the same thing.

Latest firmware for the quadrant and latest FS patch.

Anybody got an idea?

This simulator really requires a lot of work for everything :smiley: But it will be fine with time I hope.

But very funny: Switching it off, however, works perfectly.

And once the turbine has been switched off, it can be switched on again with the Thrustmaster Quadrant.

I am going to bed now.

:dizzy_face::dizzy_face::dizzy_face::dizzy_face:

Yes, I have the exact same issue.

Yes that’s the reason I posted this thread. The engines won’t start correctly. If you scroll up, I posted a workaround that can be used until asobo fixes it. I even posted screenshots of the button mappings for how I have mine set up right now.

1 Like

Have you updated your TCA firmware to 1.56 ?

Thanks for sharing!
With this workaround it is working, not as expected but it works.
Hope they fix it anyway.

The misaligned throttle is not fixed in 1.56.

See @MoparChrgr69’s post about this and a work around (Scroll up)

I know, just wanted to say that it aint fixed in the 1.56 firmware.

sorry to hear 1.56 fixed my problem
before I had eg
1 at 45 % and
2 at 50 %
but now it is ok

I wouldn’t expect Thrustmaster to fix that. I believe the issue comes down to manufacturing variations so the differences are unique to each throttle quadrant. They did release a firmware update that got the two throttle levers much closer in their reported positions. I think the issues now are only noticeable because of the very steep sensitivity curves that FS2020 uses for the TCA quadrant so that the levers hit the proper detents in the game. There is a LOT of in game change for very minor throttle movements between the idle position and first detent. This just magnifies any minor variation in actual hardware position reporting. The best thing to do would be to make tiny adjustments to your FS2020 sensitivity curves to compensate. Even a 1% difference in the in-game sensitivity can get them “back in line”.

Honestly, the only thing Thrustmaster could do would be to release a calibration utility that reads the hardware position and you tell it where it should be and the utility fakes the position reporting to your games so they think the levers are perfectly aligned. A utility like that would be a lot more work and for the price point, I’d be surprised if Thrustmaster went to that much work just to “fix” what can already be fixed by adjusting the in-game sensitivity curves.

4 Likes

That is right I think.
And to “Mode Norm”:

It would be great if TM would integrate a virtual button into the firmware or drivers that says

If button 7 is NOT pressed
and button 8 is NOT pressed
THEN button “XYZ” is pressed

You could then assign this virtual button to “Norm”. Because it will take some time until Asobo offers the possibility to assign functions when a button is NOT pressed. If it comes at all.

3 Likes

Asobo could do it fairly easily. The code already exists in other functions. Instead of virtual buttons like that, just make crank mode and IGN/Start mode momentary (set instead of toggle) so that if neither are activated, then it just defaults back to Norm mode. Unfortunately many of their commands are not completely accurate. Even though they say “set function x” they don’t ‘unset’ when deactivated. SOme commands do that, some don’t.

But I agree. Whether TM makes a virtual button, or asobo fixes the button commands, someone will make it work eventually. It’s a brand new product and they’ll get it working.

2 Likes

Finally getting to test Update 5, and I’m starting to see what the actual problem is with the thrust levers. I’m not an Airbus pilot (or any pilot IRL for that matter) so this has only occurred to me after doing some research after getting fed up with the new “support” for the TCA quadrant.

Let’s completely ignore the reverse thrust range. In a real A320 (and probably similar Airbus models), the throttle range from Idle, to CL, FLX and TOGA is split roughly like this:

1. Idle - 0%
  2. CL - 55%
  3. FLX - 78%
  4. TOGA - 100%

In MSFS, the default A320 fairly correctly and respectfully also models this range of movement along the lever axis. BUT. Thrustmaster has decided to split the lever range detents approximately equidistant like this:

1. Idle - 0%
  2. CL - 35%
  3. FLX - 70%
  4. TOGA - 100%

Now, the “support” that we get from MSFS update 5 is a curve profile to compensate for this: to squash the 65% lever range of the hardware into the 45% lever range of the real A320 as well as the simulator. The problem, is that the curve simply does not match correctly. Why on Earth did TM decide to do this? I understand that the A320 is a fly-by-wire pilot experience, but it can still be operated with a manual thrust input from IDLE all the way to TOGA. Now, with the curve profile to compensate for the weird detent positions on the throttle hardware, a manual range is distorted completely. What a shame.

5 Likes