Time to stop the world update until the sim is in a better place

There’s a whole thread at [BUG LOGGED] Multiplayer Stuttering after world update - Liveries Bug report, no need to repeat it here.

1 Like

you know there is more than 1 bug in regards to stuttering right ?

Why do you think that ANYBODY says that your PC sucks? My PC has much less horse power then yours! The screen shot shows my setting for the Microsoft game servers. I know I switched off some features I like, but it was this or stutter:

I’m glad I don’t have to turn off any of that stuff… They really seem to have fixed the live air traffic recently. Lot’s of planes landing at LAX in the sim. Very cool!

2 Likes

you call that a solution ? You turn off 2/3 of the Data connection features of the sim so you can fly ? I think it just proves my point. Why would you want to fly without photogrammetry. This is the selling point of MSFS.

Otherwise, I can make ortho and fly in XP11 and get access to better aircraft.

3 Likes

Keep on the good works… I wasn’t attacking you for not caring about MSFS or MSFS users, you read the wrong message. My reply to you was about something else. You complained about third party payware that doesn’t work anymore after an MSFS update. You blame Asobo, while 3th party developers can expect MSFS to change, they make money from it, they should expect to modify their payware. MSFS is less than a year old. You talk about software development in your opening… you expect e.g. scenery people to leave their workplace and go help program a DX-12 C++ kernel. But even for that nonsense, I did not really attack you :cat:

btw we agree about photogrammetry. Can’t switch that off, MSFS can’t do without.

Not for me. I don’t like photogrammetry in London. All these ugly construction cranes! Or the ugly sailing ship.

PG off in MSFS still looks above and beyond XP11 with ortho…
This is PG off

1 Like

If it was easy, they would have solved it by now. Maybe this is a design compromise. If a photo-realistic flight simulator has to do London you’ll have a few hard choices to make. You want to fly too. Even on a 3080, you can’t just peep 21GB meshes into the GPU at once. The city scenery and mesh detail is designed to watch from ca 500-1000Ft, London looks much more realistic with photogrammetry from that height. Compare the aerials… Other cities too… I’ve put Vancouver in the real-world comparison thread a few weeks ago, with and without photogrammetry. Amsterdam too. It’s a color thing. Without PG, you see all brown-white-black buildings, with a rendering that looks like mathematics. Cubes and blocks. It is a dead and unrealistic scenery. I prefer photogrammetry and take the “crumbling” at 200Ft for granted. The manual crafted scenery is ok and that is why I’m at that altitude, They’ll find a way… I’m definitely not gonna switch the rest off.

1 Like

No problem. My taste is different to your taste. We have this little on/off switch. And hopefully nobody says: put away this on/off switch.

Off topic: I want that the switch “legacy flight model” disappears and you always have “modern”.

Of course @PaulFalke, there’s an option for it, you may as well use it.

By the way the choice is not only “sim” or “scenery” for future updates. What about atmosphere. There’s more on my (our) wishlist… let’s put this one again,

1 Like

I am optimistic about thermals and about helicopters, too - the H135 is amazing!. But prio for Asobo/Microsoft is Xbox release now, nothing else. That they give us some nice sceneries as “sweets” in the meantime is all I expect. If only they do not break the core game while they are on the quest for DX12 for Xbox. I like to see no more “76T Bishop” caliber bug.

1 Like

It’s an investment in the future (DX-12) and it may not affect us at all. Risk for us is, the PC-version will come to a stand still, on the long term. Maybe PC’s won’t get the DX-12 version. But I don’t think the XBox development would interfere with our kernel… I suspect this “XBox-MSFS-project” is a completely separate endeavour, only intended to start (and finance) development of a full DX-12 Ultimate kernel of MSFS. The world scenery will be shared between PC and XBox, not the core. So in a few years, the PC users can expect sim updates and world updates, no kernel updates unless their GPU is 100% XBox compliant.

Nice thing for developers about XBox: the software is using the same GPU hardware for all users. That eliminates the majority of all MSFS complaints. But it makes a future DX-12 kernel for PC very difficult. When it comes (XBox version) I’m probably going to buy one. Currently I am on a laptop… I can’t run most of the NVidia goodies for raytracing…

My understanding is that Xbox MSFS 2020 and MS-Windows MSFS 2020 are the same. The Xbox OS is a MS-Windows spin-off. We PC users get DX12 MSFS 2020 because Xbox needs DX12 MSFS 2020. Maybe because there is no DX11 on Xbox or maybe XBox DX11 is not fast enough.

Read on OneCore to rule them all: How Windows Everywhere finally happened | Ars Technica

The Xbox team, for example, has graphics as a particular focus. The Xbox One’s initial release included a forked variant of DirectX, called DirectX 11.X, which was similar to DirectX 11 but included finer control over GPU resource management. This work directly fed into the design of DirectX 12, which now has the same resource management capabilities across both PC and Xbox. Similarly, the shader language and compiler, used to program the GPU, are now a common DirectX feature that will be shared across all Windows variants once the Anniversary Update [August 2016] ships.

There is no point. Asobo is in way over the heads with this sim. I am just installing their ‘disc’ version and it is the most idiotic thing I have ever seen. By a mile. By 100 miles.
Asobo should have stayed in pure gaming. Grab Unreal Engine, make some game. Done. This is Asobo.

MS/Asobo will never base their future direction because of a post on a message board. Can you imagine that discussion in the next executive meeting? So hey, let’s apply ONLY bug fixes for the next year or two. And if those fixes have bugs (which will happen, of course) where does it end? When would they go back to giving us new features? Hey, maybe they’d put out a poll asking us to vote as to whether we’re ready to focus on new features again.

And this is of course assuming that a huge number of current users find the game unplayable, which is a highly-overused word with this sim. Does anyone know the percentage of users who actually cannot play the game due to problems? No, not those who have problems – but the number who cannot play at all because of problems completely unrelated to their computer build? I’m not saying there are none of you, but the number will never be high enough to justify MS/Asobo changing direction.

Seriously people, we need to realize that once we handed them our $70, $100, $120, whatever, for the most part, we decided to trust MS/Asobo and go along for the ride. We can certainly bring up our concerns and ask for new features, enhancements, and even fixes, but we’ll never dictate their direction.

5 Likes

That’s the goal in the end, to use the same DX-12 Ultimate for both XBox and PC version. They’re not ready for that by a long way, because not all PC boards used now are ready for DX-12 Ultimate. Everyone with the silly startup popup box

BoxRequirements

…would be thrown out completely, when they release DX-12 Ultimate. They would have to test capabilities on startup and configure things, that architecture will not be needed for XBox.

Fortunately, there is this 10 year warrant… MS/Asobo can’t just pull the plug on PC-customers telling them they’ll have to buy XBox series X to run MSFS. For me, that probably does not count, because I’ve seen above silly box since I purchased MSFS… and I’ve had no serious issues, but one day… I expect a GPU low level crash (=CTD) when I click on “Ok” like I always do.

KLAX:
I used A32NX at ultra settings | 1440p
While i didn’t have any stutter or frame drop while i was on the runway & take off/approach i had some pauses/fps drop around the city.

I love when people say “play in medium, and the sim will runs better”. Well…if someone has a high end pc, and the sim allows to choose “ultra”, so people are supposed to be able to play at ultra.

I for one am really excited about DX12 Ultimate.

2 Likes