Tree Draw Distance / LOD Issues

@BilingualHarp7
@anon69344611
@GTPILOT7596

You might want to really read the topic I’ve linked to above as this explains exactly what is the actual bug (there is a bug).

More specifically to get started:
[08OCT2020 Update]

Then to further the topic, the update I’ve just posted:
[16OCT2020 Update]

3 Likes

Ah I fail to mention they appear as you get closer. That’s what I have been noticing.

1 Like

I do agree there was a marked decrease in visual fidelity from the release to now, but it was in favor of performance. This is fine, but for those looking for more fidelity, there should be an option to return the detail to what it was before.

2 Likes

This might be true, but there is also a bug I’ve now documented which is certainly not expected (see above).

1 Like

The bug does not only concern the trees, there are also the buildings which are impacted, when I fly over Paris the landscape is ugly and it constantly twinkles and the buildings are not as well detailed as in the Alpha version and however I am in Ultra mode.
I have a lot of screenshots of the Alpha version but not sure that I am allowed to post them for comparison.
Where does the vote take place ?

1 Like

This would be a good starting point:

1 Like

Hello, thanks for your help, I will test the sim with the attached files :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Birnam Wood of Shakepearean fame in reality vs. in MSFS 2020 v1.9.5.0 - still way too many trees, pretty overdone vs. reality: Blackshark.ai - Too many trees, in too many wrong places

1 Like

What happened to this game/sim… used to look so much better.

The lod distance for scenery is terrible now.

3 Likes

we need proper viewing distances.
even X-Plane and P3D draws night lighting for example from buildings further.
It takes away quite alot from the immersion

1 Like

Buildings on high or ultra?

1 Like

High by accident. I normally always use ultra on every setting & flew the same route earlier. There’s barely any difference. More importantly to me the LOD draw distance & sharpness is so small on it’s highest setting that short distances look flat, low-res & slightly blurry. Nowhere near how the game was at launch & advertised. Even in photogrammetry area’s with a stable 200mb connection, it’s the LOD draw distance that’s the problem.

2 Likes

There is certainly a significant difference between high and ultra especially above 3000ft.I found too many buildings on high missing the higher you go.
You do not notice a huge difference between the two at very low altitudes.
Agreed was better at launch.Its bugged right now.Not sure how soon we’ll see a fix.

1 Like

in general, tree textures are substantially degraded as well. why do we get nothing but loss of quality with each update released ? i’m afraid this week’s update is going to keep doing so… sim has started to be not so enjoyable.

1 Like

I can’t look at this anymore! it’s too bad! all settings are ultra! the server is connected, bing cards are also connected, it does not look like at the start, and this problem is not for everyone, I watched the stream yesterday from a random person, everything is super clear, a good picture, but I have at least! reinstalled the game and windows, it did not help! the desire to play disappears

[image]

6 Likes

The tree textures have not changed at all on my sim so I think any degradation you are seeing must have another explanation.

2 Likes

might be part of the intentional lower LOD settings forced by the latest updates. at the end of the day they look way worse now than in the initial release.

2 Likes

Maybe, its drawing distance that seems to be an issue on my system, the trees are fine close up.

1 Like

well my settings are beyond ultra, ( default ultra gives you 100 for LOD, mine is set at 200 ) then again the degradation is obvious as compared to the awesome initial release build.

1 Like

Might it depend on which server hub we retrieve the online data from ? Mine is always set at West European servers… maybe we can force use North American servers, just a thought !

1 Like