I’ve been digging the large number of pre-release screenshots in order to see how does it really compare to v1.9.3 regarding LOD and terrain texture resolution.
I’ve started from here: great source of pre-release get-tagged screenshots
Found in this news: COMMUNITY SPOTLIGHT: u/Ansenton
I’ve picked up this one posted on February 18, 2020:
Then I’ve tried to match the location, time and adjusted Terrain LOD setting:
And here are some interesting findings:
- Even at 200% LOD, I get much less details on the Coit Tower than in pre-release version.
- Vegetation around Fort Winfield Scott (to the west close to the Presidio) show I need to use at least 150% to match.
- Even at 200% LOD I can’t get as much photogrammetry houses in the Outer Richmond District (the large rectangle of houses to the west).
- The circular breakwater in front of the Maritime Museum is no longer visible.
- Pier 39 marina and boats are missing
- South Beach Harbor marina is missing.
There are just a few observations which are pertaining to 2 main issues:
The sea level is probably a little too high which is covering the marinas and other details.
v1.9.3 LOD rings are much smaller than pre-release (and RTM) and I believe there are less details on and around the Coit Tower for example, let alone I can’t get as much houses at the distance in the Richmond District at 200% LOD.
However there are good things too:
- I find water colour a little better (except this new ‘wave’ overlay which is too synthetic looking).
- Photogrammetry is nearly the same if you’re not looking too closely.
One main problem with photogrammetry in FS2020:
I believe photogrammetry is like JPEG. It is meant to be looked at 100%. If you’re zooming-in you start seeing artifacts but at 100% it looks photorealistic.
The issue with this is that I don’t know for most of you but looking at some posts about LOD and texture resolution, I think we’re pretty much all zooming in from time to time in order to see cities or mountains or airports at a distance, and it doesn’t take much zoom to break the photorealism and see the pixels.
It is easy but it will be taxing our computers: extend the LOD rings farther away so that you get higher texture resolution and higher photogrammetry details farther away too. It just takes Asobo to restore previous ring distances and to let us have 2 separate LOD sliders: one for ground texture and one for photogrammetry. It will be up to the user to choose which level he is comfortable with.
About Blackshark AI autogen shortcomings
Besides, there is another LOD/distance issue with autogen buildings made by Blackshark AI. I’ve been doing some tests over the weekend in following up my “skyscraper fix”, and there is something which is really annoying to me: the autogen buildings are using auto-generated windows overlaying auto-generated walls, and the LOD distance windows are fading-in is farther away than the distance walls are fading-in. The problem with this is buildings at a distance appear like solid color bricks instead of textured walls with windows and this is distracting.
I hope this will be helping Asobo finding out what is wrong and how to restore the same level of details we’ve been used to fly with in their next update!