Tree Draw Distance / LOD Issues

Blurry ground textures are very easy to see in the SDK too. I zoom up and they turn to a mush, not good at all.

2 Likes

I had a similar issue as well. For some reason I had selected in nVidia GeForce Experience to automatically use optimal settings for a the games. and When I checked there, everything was at Low.

Once I disabled that, things were a lot better. Just something to check if you haven’t already.

Bit of an update.
You can set the Terrain LOD in a file called UserCfg.opt, The max value in game is 2 but you can extend how far trees pop up using that setting to as high as 5 which I set and that brought my system to it’s knees. So the LOD problem is now fixed IMO.

I set mine to 3 and I like it.
For me the issue now is pixelization or sharpening if you will and tree shapes that changed, this makes forests look “grainy” and look like a bunch of green acorns. There is a vote taking place for that very issue found here.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/sharpening-overdone-since-last-update-everything-looks-way-too-sharp-and-pixelated/311550

Stay Safe.
PACO572

Speculation. They say they haven’t changed anything about this.

2 Likes

See if you think the LOD problem exists in this video

1 Like

You can change building LOD as well. Check it out. You got some control where it never existed before.

PACO572

Have you listened to the dev Q&A? They are explicit that they have not reduced the LOD

Every dev/company of every downgraded game, lies about downgrading the game unless enough pressure is put on them. Believing what they say over the now mountains worth of proof just shows how naĂŻve you are.

4 Likes

This doesn’t preclude there is a bug they are not aware of, a bug which could have been introduced between the latest alpha version and the first release version. In this case, their claim is truthful: they haven’t degraded anything LOD related since Aug. 18.

As for bugs:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/lod-problems-trees-fix-revisited/296923/19

4 Likes

Ah, so much hate

Agree 100%

3 Likes

The problem appears at a young height, from about 5000

[image]

1 Like

Clearly visible in this new Orbx promo. The small draw distance for tree’s & how close the satellite terrain is made super low-res & blurry just beyond the tree’s (on top of all ready bad satellite data).

Comparing your 2 screenshots, the upper one is done with some older version of the game, the lower one with a newer version, right?

What´s also as annoying to me: what happened to the color-scheme?
The upper image has more “pale”, a bit “brown-ish” green tones, which look MUCH more natural.
The second image looks more saturated, artificial, cartoon-ish to me.

What happened there? How can we get the upper color-scheme back, at least as an setting to choose in our game-options?

1 Like

I agree that the 2nd landscape shot has been prettied up. For me, flying in mountainous terrain over the Missouri River near Mann Gulch, Montana, the terrain used to look pretty barren and dry as it is during much of the summer and fall in real life. That area of Montana only looks green as the snow melts in May and early June. In the sim, for that region of Montana, it seems a hint of green verdure and pinkish reddish orange yellow color for the rocks and soil has been added. It’s a lot more attractive eye candy than before but is it closer to reality? I guess if there are a range of aerial and satellite photos throughout the year to draw from, it would enhance the GAME aspect of MSFS to always go with the prettiest time of year for a geographical locale but when you have a sim that attempts to simulate realism by allowing you control date and time and the weather or fly with real weather, it seems like ultimately, for the ultimate simulation experience, you’d actually want the option to fly a geographic environment and see the landscape as close to what it actually looks like at the date and time of your flight and not an artifically “purdied up” view of reality - although maybe artificially enhanced landscape views will sell more copies of MSFS - I guess folks like the tourist brochure view of locales rather than average everyday reality. The oversharpening of scenery also shows up nicely in DaveBGaming’s 2nd screen capture just above. Given the degree of haze in the distance, it doesn’t seem unrealistic to me though, if haze effects are turned on, that stuff further away in the distance is blurrier.

2 Likes

This topic is intentionally being ignored as I feel they don’t see it as a bug. So it don’t make the list yet it has more than enough votes to do so. What I can tell you is the “Trees Did Change”, whether it be their shape or color something happened, otherwise wise, why would so many complain about it? To ignore this as the community clearly is voicing it’s concerns, I ask that it not be ignored. It’s a bug most likely created unintentionally, but then all bugs are created equally… Please don’t tell us anymore “We didn’t do anything” because it is clear something happened. How difficult can it be to adjust their shape, if that was the problem or adjust their color if that was the problem?

Please don’t ignore this thread.

Thank you, keep up the good work and stay safe.

PACO572

I’ve yet to see a convincing comparison, they’ve all either been from a different angle, distance or time of day.

I guess it’s rather a draw distance issue than a LOD thing. That said, this vid probably got the limited draw distance, ie objects out in the distance hardly load as they should when in fact they did almost perfectly until the 1.9.3 build.

You might want to review these assumptions and cross-check this discussion. You’ll get factual information and documented bug with the tree rendering:

Well well well,… Thank you for the link to the xml file. The 75/75 was an eye opener. I adjusted to 73/73 then increased my LOD terrain in the USerdfg.opt file to 2.5 and object to 8.5 (Max setting in game is 2 for LOD terrain and Objects) Those are my settings to taste. Water cooled 2080ti/OC curve.

NO MORE PUFFY trees and building as far as I can see. As far as I’m concerned, I got it back what I had before. Thank you, Thank you thank you! Doesn’t matter now what happen after patch 2. I feel the tree sizes were messed with. The forest now looks like the forest instead of a bunch of green acorns and the increased object LOD looks WOW!! thanks to access to these settings.

Thanks CptLucky8
I know you’ve point your finger at me a few times. .LOL

Cheers and stay safe everybody.
PACO572

1 Like