Turn On Turbulence

Agree, tried same place as @PunchDkns99 and had same experience. I think the issue is that there is not turbulent flow inside clouds or unsable weather. It needs to be turbulent air flow to get up/downdrafts. Don’t matter if we have unlimited up/down drafts if there is no turbulence formed right?

5 Likes

I can confirm lightning is in Live Weather. And just to give a little more feedback. Flew into the biggest clouds I could find with dev mode and debugging weather on. Largest deviation I had was about 800fpm updraft. Bug absolutely rock-steady in the 172 with autopilot on. A few bumps here and there.

Ill try flying over land. There is a bit of a system on the North Island in New Zealand.

1 Like

Agree, they said they’ll remove the limitation but they did not said they’ll implement turbulence inside clouds as per cloud types in SU12, hopefully it will come later. People interpreted it too optimistiquely. The day it is implemented I am pretty sure it will come in the release notes.

1 Like

Yeah, I checked a couple of TS airports to find out that my ultralight Sting S4 flies through the Thunderstorm as smooth as it’s only possible.

1 Like

Yes, i think we need to wait for it some updates. But now for the first time they can really make the “realistic” turbulence setting a more believable experience in the future without getting complains. Because now we can set it to low if we don’t like that type of experience. I hope there is an issue and we get that type of experience in su12 thugh.

2 Likes

A bit of good news. I can confirm that they HAVE eliminated the 2000fpm restriction. Flying over the hilly parts of this area on the North Island of New Zealand and my eyes did not decieve me. I hit +2300 fpm a few times.

4 Likes

Well…there is no turbulence related to clouds in msfs. You can fly a mighty 152 through through any storm or CB in msfs.
Yes there are gusts. But these gusts just move the plane laterally. No roll movement.
Yes, there are drafts. But that is not turbulence. These drafts are way too steady, and just moves the plane steadily vertically, and cause no turbulence to the A/C.
There was turbulence in clouds at release; but at some point (SU4?) it was removed afaik.

No turbulence in clouds is one of the things that dumbs down the sim imho. What is the point of CBs etc if you can fly straight through any weather in any A/C? As of now clouds are just for looks.

Many threads about this:
Notice feedback logged status a long time ago:

11 Likes

And wind speed and direction changing many times a second (Asobo’s weird and wrong interpretation of turbulence) should also be fixed ASAP.

4 Likes

The only reasons I was looking forward to SU12 were the hope for realistic turbulence through clouds/storms (based on the Q/A development update) and also fixing the AI plane situation particularly the issue of planes stacking up on top of each other when returning to an airport ("Fixed live traffic planes getting stuck at the center of the airports" Not Fixed). They have done a lot of fixes for AI but I am not sure if this issue is fixed yet. The limitation on the number of Simobjects is also an important issue which I was hopping would be addressed in SU12!
I hope they address these issues!

8 Likes

So far in my testing with Turbulence set to realistic, I have not seen and felt cloud turbulence in any meaningful way. Entering some nasty-looking clouds in SU12 has been just another cruise on a sunny day.

Turbulence in clouds relative to the cloud type and intensity is a must for realism in the sim. I expect my heart rate to increase entering a nasty-looking cloud due to expected turbulence and plane control.

Does anyone have any results to share regarding turbulence in clouds for SU12 beta?

3 Likes

Same experience as you! Despite the fact that Sep (I believe) specifically mentioned this will be fixed in SU12 during the Q/A Development update. I think a lot of people including me were very excited for this but unfortunately disappointed after the release of SU12 since it’s not addressed at all! Hope they will address it …

5 Likes

This is just a first beta of SU12, so, let’s hope fore the best:)

3 Likes

I checked weather debug and noticed that this is set at -1. I wonder why?

Does the -1 mean unlimited? I bet it does right?

1 Like

I just tested the turbulence option on “realistic”. Real time weather, lots of gray clouds and my first takeoff. Arrived in the clouds, I checked that I had correctly activated the turbulence on “realistic”. Result? 0 turbulence and no change with SU11… In passenger view, even the wings do not move a cm…

13 Likes

Yea flying through clouds dont have any effect on the plane and/or turbulence unfortunately.

1 Like

Sadly in SU12Beta thermals still seriously can miss clouds as on attached picture (I have realistic turbulence setting):

Even with wind thermals should hit clouds exactly from the bottom of the cloud and go through it.
Never in blue air hit the side of the cloud as depicted on the image.

15 Likes

Turbulence consists of the three velocity components’ perturbations relative to the mean wind vector, i.e. wind speed and direction changing many times per second when the velocity sensor, i.e. the airplane, moves through the turbulent air many times faster than the sum of the mean wind speed and its perturbations. MSFS has gotten at least this right. If the displayed numbers in the ND should be low pass filtered or not, is just aesthetics.

2 Likes

The clouds should have rapid up and down air movement within them which should be more powerful if the cloud is thicker! If they get this right, then we will see appropriate amount of turbulence in the clouds.

14 Likes

MSFS need to take a leaf out of Active Sky’s book, after 15 years they got turbulence very realistic. You could set a realistic setting, like MSFS, but more than that you could change settings like enhanced turb, random turb, you could also change max up and downdraft rates. These additional settings are vital as we all fly different aircraft and have different setups, eg some pistons, some airlines, some vr, some motion platforms, so there needs to be additional settings beyond the standard Realistic/med/low. I have a motion platform and I like a bit more substance to turbulence, but currently I can do nothing

4 Likes

Or they could as well open access to the 3rd party devs. What was advertised as the most realistic simulator ever turned out to be a flop in many aspects. It took them 2 years to make a turbulence option selector and still it’s debatable whether it changes anything.

3 Likes