Unable to start MSFS after latest Win11 22H2 update KB5026446

Hi all
After a pleasant holiday away I returned eager to get back in the virtual air again.
The new update for MSFS (1.33.5) was installed and Windows update also installed the latest Win 11 22H2 update KB5026446.
MSFS wouldn’t start and would CTD just after selecting either Safe or Normal modes.
After about 2 seconds the background music would stop and then CTD.
Thought it might be the 1.33.5 update as I had no problems previously.
Tried changing various cfg options/community folder etc, with no change.

Eventually uninstalled the Windows cumulative update and hey presto MSFS is running normally again.

So there must be something in KB5026446 that MSFS doesn’t like.
I’ll leave it to the Asobo boffins to work out what?

Have fun.

1 Like

Topic moved from General Discussion.

1 Like

That looks like a Preview update. The latest I have is KB5026372.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/may-24-2023-kb5026446-os-build-22621-1778-preview-3c547100-7a73-4ae6-bb7d-ebd02e87dc04

I just checked, and I have that as an optional update right now.

1 Like

I decided to live dangerously, and installed the preview update. No problems for me with MSFS over a couple of hours flying.

4 Likes

I came back to sim after about a month and noticed strange cpu spikes combined with gpu lows every 10 to 60 seconds for around a sec or two. this caused complete freeze of the sim/big stutter. Unplayable. After trying driver reinstallation, device unplugging, service termination, msfs settings reset and graphic setting lowering, just nothing was helping. Task manager not helpful. Not much changed since then, except adding tailscale with NAS to my system, but tried to stopped those services too. Finally I decided to uninstall the abovementioned KB5026446. Now, when the spike occurs, sim CTD. Unreal…

2 Likes

I have now reinstalled the whole sim, and the pain was not worth it either. Now not only it stutters, it also loses connection all the time… I can’t believe this… will have to reinstall the whole pc as I see it now…

2 Likes

Were your settings, and logbook preserved? Did you also change GPU driver versions?

1 Like

yes they were preserved. not sure how though. I tried nvidia studio driver now but I have found that disabling ethernet adapter stops this. turning off internet in msfs does nothing. still cant isolate the issue so I am going to reset my w11…

2 Likes

I had this same problem with the same windows update, but not only msfs was crashing but other apps also, in the end I had to go the nuclear option and reinstall windows 11 from scratch and also everything else I had on my pc, which was quite a lot and took around 14 hours in total.

Though it was worth it as now msfs is performing the best it ever has.

1 Like

Did you try uninstalling it first?

1 Like

Who was the question to hobanagerik?

1 Like

You. You said you wiped your PC but I was wondering whether you had tried to uninstall KB5026446. This will eventually come out, in some form or other, when it is no longer a Preview release, so I’m a little concerned it will hose things when it does.

I hope enough people have reported issues with it for MS to take notice.

2 Likes

Yes I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it a few times, things went back to a somewhat working order when i uninstalled it, but I had a few other problems also with windows, I kept getting odd crashes with ntdll.dll with another program not working properly ( Multicrew Experience) so I decided to wipe my pc clean and start again. I did report the issue with the update to Microsoft.

After I reinstalled windows I installed all updates pending including kb5026446 and no such problem this time around with it, so there must have been some underlying problem with my windows install to begin with.

1 Like

Hey all, for me the complete reinstall of w11 was the solution. Painful, but worth it. I am in the process of installing programs back one by one, if i find something that could be the culprit I will report back. If I won’t, I have no idea :slight_smile: BR and clear skies!

D

1 Like

Did you reinstall this update preview? If not it’s absence may have been the fix.

1 Like

I installed this preview and have had a couple of CTDs when starting the sim. I then rebooted and all was OK. I hadn’t made the association between this update & the CTDs but it does seem there is one. I’m going to backout the preview and will report back.

1 Like

Odd…

Updated yesterday, flew for a few hours…flew today as well and I’ve had zero issues so far.

1 Like

This may be affecting Win-10 too.

I installed it on my Win-10 box and, for about a day or two, things seemed to be OK.  Then - who knows why - my MSFS installation went all pear-shaped on me after an overnight shutdown and restart.

I’m not exactly sure why, but the update looks awfully suspicious.

I backed out the preview & have not had the same problems since. I still get the ‘Syncing…’ that gets stuck but I fix that by going into Task Manager & killing ‘Game Services’.

1 Like

Hi all.
Interesting replies regarding this Windows preview update.
It just shows how the different systems, setups and hardware that everyone has can affect the way this sim responds.
Some have no problems while others have them but they can manifest in different ways.

I thought i’d try installing the update again as many had no problems with it but it caused the same problem with CTD’s during startup. Uninstalling again and no problems.

I wonder if it has something to do with the different audio hardware we use as the sim seems very sensitive to the audio output selected in the menu and in my case the sim CTD’s after the intro music is cut off abruptly?
There are 2 updates in the preview that affect the audio:
“This update adds Bluetooth® Low Energy (LE) Audio”
and
“This update addresses an issue that affects audio playback. It fails on devices that have certain processors.”

I use an Asus Xonar DX card with an all AMD setup, Ryzen 5800x3d and 6900XT.

Just a thought.
Cheers

1 Like