Unreal Weather - Live METAR Mod

Now lets see if the new update breaks the mod or the mod breaks the update since it is out now. This is great work by all those who have worked on it.

It seems it stopped working after the update :frowning:

UPDATE: If you have MSFS 2020 build 1.8.3.0 and the mod is not working for you, please re-download the version 1.2 of the mod and re-deploy it. (Only the JS file is different, and do not forget to add your API key to that file.) I included a separate branch for that particular build in the ZIP file.

No update on 1.9.3.0 yet, but the updated version of the mod (for the build 1.8.3.0 specifically) might work. Give it a try.

I re-downloaded and it is working in 1.9.3.0 but I would still see if it can be updated just in case. Thanks for all the hard work on it @duesen

I would also recommend putting the community folder update or making it community folder based. Would make installing much easier for both Steam and MS Store users.

Thanks! I will look into these topics, yet I am bit overwhelmed now. Also, the fact that I donā€™t have an MS Store version copy doesnā€™t help :frowning:

By the way, did the 1.9.3.0 update overwrite any of the 2 modded files? And which version did you update from?

I used the community folder version that the gentleman up above posted. And I used the 1.8.3.0 The Sim forces you to update so I would just keep it to current version. If you need me to test anything in the MS Store version send me a PM

I can confirm that after patch 1.9.3.0 your mod with the installation setup by @ViennaFlying is working fineā€¦ well except for the temperature issue in high elevation airports described earlier. thanks a lot for the great work

It works like a charm with v1.9.3.0.

Before

After

1 Like

Thanks, everyone. I will be looking into the outstanding issues shortly.

1 Like

Nop, unfortunately I am still not satisfiedā€¦ I donā€™t know what is going on, but I tried today at KCDW where the METAR was showing altimeter of 29.49 but unreal weather gave me 30.80ā€¦ massive difference.

Then I went on to try at KISP where the altimeter was 29.56 but unreal weather gave me 29.92ā€¦ again big differenceā€¦ the rest of the conditions where fine, just the altimeter errors which is a huge errorā€¦

As a comparison, live weather was ok on the first example (CDW) except with a lot of thunder where there was not the slightest sign of thunders in the METAR and a altimeter of 29.79 instead of 29.49, so again unusable due to big difference. The second example, live weather was ok

I am getting a lot tired of thisā€¦ I am frustratedā€¦ when you load either P3d with active sky or xplane 11, everything just worksā€¦
Ok, rant overā€¦ I need to go for a walk to calm down and remove all the stress that this mess of a product (MSFS) is giving meā€¦

I am not sure I fully understand.

When there is a pressure value in the METAR (QNH or SLP) it is set accordingly in the game by the mod. When that happens, you would see your altimeter elevation start ā€œslidingā€ up or down, if the pressure is different from the ā€œregularā€ 1013.25. When the difference is significant, some instrument sets even warn you by beeping, like the one in 280, for example.

In any event, you are supposed to correct your altimeter by hitting ā€œBā€. At that point the elevation reading should match the real elevation. Use Clear Skies preset to see the real elevation at the same location; these 2 numbers should match after you correct your altimeter.

The mod does not read the A tag, just to make it clear.

If Iā€™m missing something, please elaborate and provide the actual full METAR value and the readings.

The thunder/lightning: the mod only sets it if there is an indicator in the METAR. Again, the actual METAR value would help. The full storm model has not been implemented yet, however.

As to your frustration, please leave it elsewhere. This forum is not the right place to spill it out. I certainly hope that we can continue this conversation in a civilized manner.

Thanks!

3 Likes

I took the work Vienna did by making it a community folder version and the actual mod and combined them making a ready to go install zip however I sent it to @duesen as it is his work and it should be left up to him how he wants to distribute it.

It looks very good when you see your photos, I tried and I am not able to install it, I see it too complicated,

But thanks for all the work you do for the community

Can confirm that the community folder version is working correctly in the MS Store version. Loaded into KBOS and the metar loaded correctly with the correct altimeter setting and cloud cover. Thanks for the hard work @ViennaFlying and @duesen

Thanks for your mod! Itā€™s real best solution for now.

I now had 4 flights, everything was great with the mod!
In the community folder there is ONLY the mod! (no liveries etc.)

Got the mod from https://github.com/flybywiresim/a32nx because you can see here when the last change was!

It doesnā€™t seem to do any calculation for winds aloft though, did a flight at FL360 and had 0-3kt winds the whole time. Would there be any way to include either data from windy.com or just use the winds aloft from the live weather preset?

2 Likes

@ruccoa makes a good point can it leverage the existing winds aloft data. If it could do that or provide itā€™s own this mod would be golden.

The wind direction and speed are fully supported, except when the wind direction is variable, in which case it just blows from the North. (I have to think on how to implement the variable direction best yet.) Just examine the bottom wind layer in the Settings - it should match the METAR values. The higher wind layers use the same values, but the speed is reduced.

Just checked the wind date from the map, it looks like the area I was flying (KPSP-KPDX) is reporting 0-10kt winds aloft, and low winds near the surface, so I guess the data from the flight matches. So I guess my assumption that the winds werenā€™t working was wrong, Iā€™ll have to more testing in windier areas, apologies.