VCRUNTIME140.dll Error

I assume you choose former a game setting which was to much for your 1080 and bring it in overhead , or your card is faulty…

Possible you understand now bit more, why developers can’t find all reasons for a CTD

1 Like

There is no fix for VCRUNTIME140.dll. If you have crash - you will have crash always. You can reinstall whatever, but if dev not fix this game will CTD sometimes. I have no CTD sometimes for 2-3 days with 3-4 flyes. But sometimes i have 3-4 ctd every time when i launch game/mid flight/landing.
There is only today:

3 Likes

FlightSimulator.exe
5fc94fca
VCRUNTIME140.dll
5f4c66c9
c0000005
00000000000012de
144c
01d6d6fa8d7a0ccc
C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.11.7.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00.UWPDesktop_14.0.29231.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\VCRUNTIME140.dll
1c5808b9-af97-46e2-8199-c3c7fce81852
Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.11.7.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
App

This is the crash info.

I never seen this CTD at my PC :wink:

Hi,

scroll a bit through this big thread and check the common reasons…

All due respect - I don’t think so.

I tried running on LOW settings @1080 as part of my troubleshooting and card performed 100% fine in all other games including DCS, Starwars Squadrons and Cyberpunk. People are running on less powerful cards at medium in some cases.

The ONLY software crashing was MSFS.

Now it’s running it’s absolutely stunning - but there are def. bugs out there causing CTD’s for people that are not caused by their hardware.

1 Like

I not expect that these game is free of bugs…

But around 2 millions players have seemingly no issues .
Therefore we search here in forum the issues for the 0…% which have some and why these issues exists and how they can avoided or fixed.

1 Like

Been doing a little digging and the VCRUNTIME140.DLL error seems to be an exception error rather than the classic bad/missing DLL problem that has been around forever.
I have not encountered the error so can’t test the solutions I have been playing with. So if your system is crashing with a VCRUNTIME error try the following. Please report back if you try it.

Solution 1

Controlled Folder Access is a security function in the Virus & Threat Protection tool of Windows Security. It blocks untrusted applications from modifying certain files and documents. This feature may be blocking MSFS from accessing some folders. This could be the reason you’re seeing the Exception Violation error. Follow the steps below to turn off the feature.

Disable Controlled Folder Access
  1. Launch the Settings application. You can do this via the Start menu or by pressing Windows + I.
  2. After the home screen of the app shows up, go to the bottom and click on the Update & Security icon.
  3. Once the Update & Security interface opens, switch to the left pane and click on Windows Security.
  4. Under the Windows Security tab, you’ll see different options under Protection Areas; locate Virus & Threat Protection and click on it.
  5. The Virus & Threat Protection page of the Windows Security app will now appear.
  6. Now, scroll down to the Ransomware Protection section and click on the “Manage ransomware protection” link.
  7. Toggle off the switch under “Controlled folder access.”
  8. You can now run the game and check if the error appears.

Solution 2

If you have onboard video as well as your GPU card, make sure windows isn’t trying to communicate with the onboard video. Most MB BIOS will allow you to disable the onboard but if you are uncomfortable playing with the BIOS or yours does not have that option, try the following.

If you got MSFS from Steam then getting to the FlightSimulator.EXE folder is a fairly simple thing. If you got yours through the Microsoft Store it is a bit tricky as it is in the WindowsApps folder which is hidden and access is restricted using ownership rules.
I caution users not 100% comfortable with deep diving into the system. Get someone that knows what they are doing to help you.
For those with the savvy, you know what to do. If not, don’t do it.

Using the NVIDIA Control Panel
  1. Navigate to the far right of your taskbar (where your time display is located), click on the “Show hidden icons” arrow to expand the System Tray, then click on the NVIDIA icon and choose NVIDIA Control Panel. You can also right-click on the empty surface of your Desktop and click on NVIDIA Control Panel in the context menu.
  2. After the application shows up, switch to the left pane, click on the plus (+) sign beside the 3D Settings drop-down, and then click on Manage 3D Settings.
  3. Move over to the right pane of the window.
  4. Stay under the Global Settings tab and click on the “High performance NVIDIA processor” option under Preferred Graphics Processor.
  5. Head over to the Program Settings tab.
  6. Click on the Add button beside the Select a Program to Customize drop-down.
  7. Find your way to the game’s folder in the dialog that comes up, then double-click the EXE file.
  8. Next, navigate to the “Select the preferred graphics processor for this program” drop-down menu and click on “High-performance NVIDIA processor.”
  9. Click on the Apply button and relaunch MSFS to check if the issue persists.
Using AMD Radeon Settings
  1. Go to the Start menu, search for AMD Radeon Settings and launch the program. You can also right-click on your Desktop and select AMD Radeon Settings from the context menu.
  2. After the application shows up, go to the top-right corner of the window and click on System.
  3. Navigate to the top-left corner of the next screen and click on the Switchable Graphics option.
  4. The Running Applications view will now appear. Locate MSFS here and change its Switchable Graphics mode to High Performance.
  5. If MSFS doesn’t show up in the Running Applications view, head to the top-left corner of the window and click on Running Applications, then click on Browse.
  6. Navigate to the installation folder of MSFS and select the game’s EXE file.
  7. Now, change Switchable Graphics mode for the game to High Performance once it shows up in the window.
Using the Settings App

You can also make the necessary changes in the Settings application. The following steps will show you what to do:

1. Launch the Settings application. You can do this via the Start menu or by pressing Windows + I.
  2. Click on the System label after the home screen of Settings shows up.
  3. After the System interface opens, scroll down to the bottom of the Display tab and click on the Graphics Settings option.
  4. Once the Graphics Settings screen appears, click on the Browse button under the “Choose an app to set preference” drop-down menu.
  5. In the Open dialog that shows, navigate to the installation folder of MSFS, go to the game’s EXE file and select it, and then click on the Add button.
  6. Now, back at the Graphics Settings screen, select MSFS, then click on the Options button.
  7. Once the Graphics Specifications dialog shows up, click the radio button for High Performance, and then click Save.
  8. The game will now be forced to run on your dedicated display card whenever you launch it.
3 Likes

Thats why I posted - to help the dev’s track down some CTD’s.

The only change I made was the card and msfs was the only app having issues.

It’s an incredible product to be sure - and I’d like too see as many people enjoy it as possible - but to write off every CTD as “user error” or “hardware issue” is disingenuous.

1 Like

have you enabled HAGS ?

You keep denying in all threads that many people struggle with CTDs. What do you base this on? If I see how large the threads are already on the forum about this (and being one of the most upvoted issues), while only a very small percentage of those 2 million people are active here… It points in the other direction that just 0.xxxx%, but who knows without real data.

Fact is, still, the game needs some proper patches. This is exactly the error I’ve encountered since v 1.07 after following all and every tip available. Then I come back to my recent comment, it’s absurd that this game requires so many changes to functioning systems that run everything else perfectly fine. So IT IS the game, not the system.

3 Likes

I got the exact same issue with an 3080, so nope it’s not limited to the 1080 unfortunately :frowning:

Just bought the game and getting this, with no fix, total joke

Have tried this but due to the game being broken it did not fix it, appreciate the effort

Merry Christmas fellow vcruntime140.dll’ers, still waiting for the fix

2 Likes

Where are your informations about your issue , logs, … ?
What have you tried, what your system specs, driver versions, overcloaking etc…
Have you startet to read at first post in this forum ( if I see your stats, it cant be ) ?

and… Merry Christmas too :wink:

Hi, yes I have, was running for several hours today without issues, now again throwing the error

this can be because your system have issues or there are network-issues ( some in-game settings exists for that ).

Because you still ignore the request to give more informations about your system, I assume the issue is your system :wink:

Not overclocking, updated and reinstalled drivers, I have tried all the fixes in the thread, I did notice a spike to 100% on the monitoring page for 3d usage which I suspect is related, I have longish periods of it working. I have tried every fix I can find for the issue not just on this thread but other threads and other games, my hardware is running well under capacity apart from GPU Memory which runs at 80% on Medium/high graphical settings.

However I am convinced this makes no difference as when I switch everything off or to low it still happens, so likely unrelated to this problem.