Very difficult to take off on 172

Xbox controller and keyboard with mouse

The rudder is controlled with the trigger buttons on the controller

I dont understand as when I do the same movements on the xbox controller for the cessna 152 I can take off ok

For some unknown reason this does not work for the Cessna 172

Far enough 
 I have to leave it to someone else to try ti help you then, as I have no idea how anyone can fly from the outside view with an x-box controller. !

Just something I have never chosen to do, so have no experience to be able to help you with that technique of flying.

However, will watch this thread with interest, to see how and what a solution may be .

Maybe, consider investing in an X-Box compatible Joystick 

What is the best joystick for MSFS on Xbox?
Best joysticks and flight sticks

Thrustmaster T. 16000M FCS HOTAS. ...
Thrustmaster T. Flight Hotas One. ...
Logitech G X56 HOTAS. Back in black. ...
Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Flight Stick. The beast in premium joystick controls. ...
Thrustmaster TCA Officer Pack Airbus Edition. ...
Thrustmaster T-Flight Stick X. ...
Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

ie ```
Logitech Extreme 3D Pro – Typically $30–$43
$25 used on Ebay

In terms of it veering to the left, everything I’m seeing there is normal. Single-engine prop planes simply do that due to three left-turning tendencies:

• Torque - the prop rotates clockwise, the rest of the plane attached to it wants to roll counterclockwise

• Spiraling slipstream - the air from the prop spirals around the aircraft, striking the left side of the tail, pushing it right and the nose left

• P-factor (or asymmetric blade loading) - the prop disk crates more thrust on the right side due to a larger angle of attack and relative forward speed on the descending side of the disk. This is more apparent at low speeds and high angles of attack, like during the initial climb

In a tailwheel aircraft (not here) you would also have gyroscopic precession. You also will get weathervaning effect, in which your nose will want to point into the wind. Finally, at low speeds, your controls will be less effective, giving you less ability to counter this until your speed increases.

But I believe the main problem is your controller. I see your controls deflect to correct and it’s almost a full, instantaneous deflection (then immediately neutral, then back again, etc). At speed, it’s almost not possible to do that in the real plane because of the airflow, as we said way upthread. A lot of folks here use yoke a or joysticks that provide artificial feel in the form of springs, but more importantly, have longer “throw” on each axis, so there’s a lot of nuance between a little and a lot of deflection.

That, and experience. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Yes - joystick good idea

But I dont understand why the Cessna 152 operates well with just an x box controller

And the Cessna 172 does not

It does not make sense and i dont understand it

It’s quite possible the the sim is just interpreting the slightly larger control surface area, stronger thrust slipstream, and higher overall speed of the 172 and equating it to much larger control efficacy. Combine that with instantaneous zero-to-full-stop control and relatively little inertia and it becomes easy to overcontrol.

The plane I’m flying irl in a few hours actually has a trim tab that works against overcontrolling by adding even more counter-control pressure at higher deflections. This simply can’t be re-created in the sim without force feedback. It can be emulated through artificial dampening, but it’s fakey and will never be 1:1.

In the end, the Xbox controller is the root of the issue.

1 Like

I think there is a large contingent of people who would be happy with outside view and an Xbox controller: drone users.

I had to reprogram the Xbox settings to match the drone, but once that was sorted, it was more easy to fly the drone camera in the sim. I guess you could fly the aircraft that way too, though I’ve never tried.

Why are the defaults so different between the Xbox controller and most drones in the market?

Barring control input issues, has OP viewed any real-world Cessna 172 takeoff videos? There is a wealth of information from pilots flying the real thing that translate nicely to the simulator. Things shared here like using flaps for takeoff. No the 172 doesn’t use “flaps 10” for takeoff unless you are performing a short-field takeoff which is done for performance reasons. Left-turning tendency, yes, that is normal and requires right rudder input to counteract.

Agreed 100%, there is something not right about the way this plane cannot get off the ground. I have changed the sensitivity etc
 In neofly, I have to just turn off crashing or risk losing the mission. I can barely get 200f/s, until I get over a few hundred feet, then magically it seems to climb just fine. All other planes work fine. There is no chance the real plane would operate like this or there would be a law suit erver day as one of these crashes.

The question was asked a longgg time ago, but no answer was given.

In the options, please make sure you have Modern Flight Model selected, and not Legacy Flight Model. I wish they’d remove that selection from the menus and move it to Devmode where it belongs.

The 172 G1000 uses the new CFD flight dynamics. I’m pretty sure the default 152 has not been upgraded to this yet, I might be wrong. If using Legacy Flight model, this could be a huge difference between the planes.

As far as the trim is concerned, if you look at the trim wheel, it should move when you change the trim. If you roll it forward, that would be like moving the nose down. If you roll it back that would pull the nose up. Very small amounts of trim change have a pretty big effect when flying. If the trim tabs are at either extent, that also will cause problems. Start with it about midway, and then experiment from there. I think there’s a line on the trim wheel that demarks its position? It should be close to center.

You should not need any flaps when taking off. Typically only use flaps on take off for short field and rough field take offs when you have to get off the ground quickly. The risk is, for low time pilots, removing flaps too early after takeoff can cause issues if the plane is still too slow. You want to be climbing at about 76 knots for a C172, so make sure you’re close to that speed before really climbing. A C172 should climb at around 800 ft/min or so on the VSI. If you’re climbing at higher than 1500 on the VSI, you’ll stall pretty quickly.

I’ll test the C172 tonight to see what I get out of it.

@OwnedBread08777 , when you say you’re only getting 200 ft/min, what’s your forward speed? As I noted Vy in the C172 is 76 knots. If you’re slower than that, yeah, it won’t climb so well.

Wonder what @OwnedBread08777’s density altitude and weight were as well. I’ve had irl days where 400 fpm was about all I could eke out. Worst was about 200fpm. Got out of ground effect and that was about it.

Could have also been a downdraft coming off a nearby ridge, which the sim is notorious for.

1 Like

I just flew the 172 just now. It’s pretty twitchy in live weather, but, as @CharlieFox00 has said, a slight touch of a joystick can impart a ton of force in the sim, so I blame that more on my joystick and the fact I was getting knocked around a bit by the atmosphere than anything.

It was definitely necessary to keep it at about 76 knots or a little better to maintain a 1000 fpm climb (I forgot to check W&B, :person_facepalming: but assume I was at half fuel with just a pilot). It was also easy to pitch the plane to 2500 fpm, but I definitely didn’t leave it there for long.

So
 As I noted above, for those having this issue, make sure your trim is set for takeoff (you can see the little white bar to the left of the elevator trim wheel), let the plane lift off between 55 and 70 knots (I usually let it get to 60 to 65 knots before I lift off), let the plane accelerate to 76 knots then pitch and trim to that pitch for about 1000 fpm climb (assuming your within a 1000 or so feet of sea level) and then make sure to trim for level flight when you reach your altitude and reduce throttle to 2200 - 2400 for cruise.

Plane flew nicely and I greased the landing :smiley: