VR experience after World Update 6

I just completed my first flight in VR after World Update 6, but sadly not much has improved since the Sim Update 5 disaster. The pop-in is better, but not 100% gone. Flying into KJFK ended in sadness looking out at the blurry, dull, and flat scenery. We used to have such a great view out the window, but now it’s hard to see anything in the distance due to the massive LOD and draw distance reduction after Sim Update 5. This really, really affects the VR experience since everything is life sized. After 1,370 hours played on this sim, it’s depressingly going back into the hangar. Asobo really did ruin the VR experience with the graphical downgrades from Sim Update 5. I’m sad, but there are other games out there I guess :frowning:

Is anyone else experiencing the same disappointment?

6 Likes

It’s been a disappointment for a very long time

1 Like

The opposite for me, much improved. Virtually no pop-up problems (though I mostly have photogrammetry off, so that might be a factor in my favour. Frames rates are good, and my flights have been very smooth.

Sorry your experience hasn’t been as good as mine. One thing I did do, was put all my settings down to the low settings, save them and then go back to my preferred settings, I think that did improve my graphics so could be worth a try if you’re so inclined.

2 Likes

@calmespresso
Excactly the same for me! The sim itself is great, the upgrades are improving a lot of things
making the sim even better, realy think they are doing a lot of great work, but…

the VR experience has realy downgraded since sim update 5.
Hope it is possible to get back to the graphics quality and VR immersion of sim update 4.
(High end PC/3090/Reverb G2/dedicated msfs PC)

3 Likes

I dont get this at all. My VR has never performed or looked better after various UserCfg tweaks. Its miles better than it was under SU4. This is with 11900K/3080 Vive Pro.

2 Likes

Experience has been great for me. I briefly flew with HP Reverb G2 in SU5 ~all ULTRA settings with a brand new 3090 FE. Out in Mann Gulch, MT where it’s all Bing map data and probably no photogrammetry it looks even better in SU6 (a little blurry compared to 2D). In NYC flying over Manhattan there are a bit of microstutters but the sense of immersion, at least for me, more than makes up for it. I was running a 2070S before and really questioned my sanity on blowing $1500 for a 3090 FE at Best Buy but the improved VR experience (for me) in SU5 and SU6 with the 3090 really justify the insane price in my crazy mind. Considering the rest of the computer and the various sim control (Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo controls, TFRP pedals, HP Reverb G2) add up to about $3,600, spending another $1500 to really get maximum enjoyment out of all that stuff (when I find that I actually do!) almost makes it seem crazily reasonable! The buyer’s remorse aspect is now that Asobo has reduced the VRAM requirements a bit, I do ask myself, “Did I really need to blow such a bundle?” But I have yet to try cranking up the LOD to 6, etc., on various stuff in the .CFG file and see where that gets me. But for the places that I am familiar with, Mann Gulch, Manhattan, Machu Picchu, etc., the improvement in appearance in SU6 on ~all ULTRA settings in 2D and in VR are astounding - now if only the entire world looked so good! i9-9900K, 32 Gb 2600 RAM, 3090 FE, 1 Tb non-system 970 EVO Plus for sim. Reverb G2 plugged into a USB-C port on back of motherboard. No OC’s but running computer at Win11 Max Performance power management settings. Not a PC dedicated entirely to MSFS. In Icon A5 or Zlin Ultra Shock.

1 Like

The Terrain Pre Caching has helped bring back the LODs of pre-SU5, with it maxed out I can turn my head quickly and not see a single pop in. That and there was zero performance loss, so with SU5 boost I am now able to fly with higher settings and maintain 30+ FPS easily enough which is great.

However, overall VR has still regressed from SU4; the AA in the menus (thankfully now noted by Asobo) still remains, Mouse Interaction is nowhere as “clean” as it was (turning knobs is extremely fiddly), the Mouse has moments of getting stuck, Clouds up close still look poor compared to what they used to look like, the increased brightness/bleached out vision needs serious work.

All those are regressions are needed to be dealt with, but at least they’re now getting on with some of it eh!?

1 Like

I’m curious about this. I did the same with just the AO the other day and I noticed the same effect, image was much better after switching back. I ignored it as contrast placebo, but was it?

After the whole “set PC render scale at 200” discussion before SU5, I think anything is possible. Any others have this experience? I must try this tonight with all settings as you suggest, and really check if it’s placebo or the next absurd-sounding workaround solution. :slight_smile:

The funny thing is that I was tinkering a lot with various settings yesterday and thought to myself how inconsistent things seemed. At one point I got an amazing sharpness and clarity and thought I was onto something. I kept playing with the settings and things deteriorated. After that I never managed to get that same clarity back. Again I ignored my own senses because it’s so absurd and illogical, but now I do wonder if there’s something fishy going on. Mysterious!

Overall, I am very happy with what WU6 has delivered for VR.

Once you find how to enable terrain pre-caching in VR and set it to ultra, it is magnificent with no pop-in at all.

Performance is better than SU5, which was already a good bump up from SU4. I have gone from clouds and trees at ultra and the rest at high and regular stuttering with SU4 to ALL settings at ultra AND slightly higher FPS AND it is super smooth. This is on an i9 @ 5.2GHz HT Off / 3080 / 32GB RAM (4GB RAMDisk for FS2020 rolling cache) / 1TB SSD on a Reverb G2 at 80/100 OXR/FS2020RR.

The only major issue I, and a few others I fly online with, have had is that if I fly more than about 3 hours then performance starts dropping off. I am still trying to quantify the problem but it seems the highest loaded CPU core starts out at about 60% load then eventually works its way up to 100% over 3 hours, after which GPU utilization starts dropping from 100% with a commensurate drop in FPS. This issue is not isolated to VR though, as others get this flying in 2D.

The VR experience has never been better, imo. The performance improvements mean I can run at higher settings. As for pop-in sure if you’re focused on that you can see some but it’s minimal and most of the time I don’t notice it at all if I’m focused on my flight.

Obviously there is still room for improvement and optimizations but overall I’m really satisfied with the current state of VR.

I am running 152% SS / RS 100 on my Vive Pro which alleviates this AA in popups in VR considerably to the point I don’t notice it any more. It was very bad at 100% though.

1 Like

Yeah I can’t go that high with my Reverb G2, otherwise my GPU would hand in its resignation notice :laughing:

How do you enable terrain pre-caching in VR?

I’m having a similar very good experience overall. I am running 10850k, 3090 and 32gb RAM and Quest 2 at resolution 2688*2784, 100 render scale in game and settings high or ultra. I have also put the terrain precache to On and LODs to 300% in the config file, which shows buildings almost as far as the eye can see. With this I am getting 20-30fps depending on location, which is flyable for me.

I note that even at these settings the sim only consumes 7-9gb of my 24gbp VRAM - it is possible to increase this by upping the LODs even further but the framerate becomes unplayable. So I think a 3080 still remains the better investment over the 3090!

Main SU5 VR bugs remaining:
-Shimmering on some buildings (Asobo unable to reproduce, see other threads)
-Aliasing on overlay windows (Asobo working on fix)
-Water reflections broken
-Overall too bright/washed out (brightness slider hopefully coming)
-Some runway objects like taxi signs popping in at close range
-Artifacts on horizon above clouds when flying high altitude
-Some checkerboarding/frustrum culling on head turn at airports or over sea

To clarify, in the file Usercfg.opt, find the GraphicsVR section and set the lines for OffscreenTerrainPrecaching to be:

• Enabled 1
  • Quality 3
3 Likes

See the other posts on the forum via search, but short answer is you use Notepad to edit the usercfg.opt file to turn on that feature and set it to Ultra. Very easy to do and it works well. When you open that file you scroll down and find that setting and put in a 1 to replace the 0 to activate the caching, then you set it to 3 from default 1 which means ultra as opposed to the default of medium. Save and close the file and relaunch the sim. This missing menu option will be added back in the upcoming hot fix announced yesterday as well.

1 Like

I’ve used nothing but VR since February, and I can say that I’ve never had a better flying experience than now. No stutters, ATC altitude issue is fixed, and I’ve been able to crank up almost all of my settings to High or Ultra, so my view of the world is amazing.

2 Likes

Today I had the afternoon free and decided it was time to test the sim after the update.

For the first time since I’ve had it, the VR was just terrible - you can’t wish this kind of awful experience on anyone. I’d left my settings as after SU5 fix 18.50, when I abandoned it to wait for better updates and fixes. I used Quest 2 rather than my Index, and Air Link. fpsVR showed my GPU at 99% - well, have a look for yourself - the sim was literally jammed solid and unable to do much at all - though the guy was pushing me back, I couldn’t look around, I couldn’t activate anything in the cockpit (no switches working) etc etc:

It was the worst I have ever had in any sim - with or without VR.

Now, the mantra has always been “start with everything on the lowest, and work your way up”, but I have never had to do that in any sim before - I decided to do it now, and boy am I glad I did!

Yes, it took a few hours - but the result is now I can enjoy the sim in VR again, with very good settings for a nice experience, even though I currently still have many options on “low” or “off”. I’ll see what I can get away with enabling later, but for now, it’s better than it’s been since after SU4.

I haven’t bothered tweaking any config files as yet, either, I only worked with what is within the in-sim settings. I did check that the user options file wasn’t still read-only, after having tweaked it to improve the LOD pop-in we had - this must have been replaced in the update, because it wasn’t read only and the settings had been “zeroed” as I had set them in the sim.

I set everything to LOW or OFF - and I mean everything. This is what it looked like:

YUK!

Funnily enough - with everything off and low, the flight physics and controller response were excellent. I actually flew around for a while, with just a blurry mess around me! I really enjoyed that, but of course, it couldn’t stay like that. Headaches and nausea would surely follow. :crazy_face:

Anyway, as is the way, I changed just one thing at a time, just one step at a time, and took screenshots (which I renamed after each test flight to show what the settings had been) and scribbled down what I had changed and what the effect was in-sim. Took up half a notebook.

Anyway, you don’t need my life story - end result, it looks great again, and I can fly happy for the time being (until the next fine mess they get us into). The only thing I had to compromise on was the texture quality/size. In order to run at 150% render scale, with high object detail and TAA on, which is vital for vastly reducing the “sparklies” I had to reduce the texures to medium. On High, it was just a bit too much stutter, though it wasn’t that bad - I can imagine with something more complicated than the Cub I was testing in, it would only get worse.

So there ya go - reset and start from scratch. Make sure you have a couple of hours at least free, and try and enjoy it. Seriously, I rarely do this because I think it will be a chore - but it was actually quite fun, always flying a circuit at LGTL, Kasteli, to test the settings. Taking screenshots in the same place every time.

Another thing before I sign off - I noticed that the stutters/pausing that I have mentioned in other posts always happen at exactly the same locations in a flight. It isn’t “been flying for ‘n’ minutes = stutter/pause for a while”, it was “fly over x/y grid reference (maybe long/lat?) and it stutters/pauses”. If I avoided the place where the stutters had previously occurred, it didn’t happen. That I find very interesting.

This is my end result:

I don’t know the framerates, as fpsVR stopped displaying, but it was nice and smooth from start-up to landing.

1 Like

I am very much disappointing with my VR experience. I have my LOD set at 200 and the trees and buildings are drawn up to about 1 to 2 miles away then just blurry textures. I have tried to edit the cfg with a bigger lod factor but it makes no difference, always the 1 to 2 mile limit and beyond that just blurriness. Monitor flying seems to be unaffected and I can change the lod radius but not in VR.

Bart

Hi
I had the same problem all I did was to rest the graphics setting to default then readjusted the settings.

2 Likes