Warning: Your graphics device has encountered a problem

I’ve been gone for awhile now, so, I’m not sure if I’m on an SU beta, or if it’s a general release yet. I was using the beta, and have had several updates, albeit small ones, in the past few weeks. Regardless of whether it’s still beta or not, I have the latest and greatest version.

So, I have good news (potentially), and bad news (for me). The good news is I’ve found a way to replicate that bug, at least on my computer, with 100% reproducibility. The bad news is that I might have to reinstall to fix it, as I’ve been unable to do so with my troubleshooting efforts to date.

So, here’s what happened. I was flying with the sim late last night (which was likely early Sunday morning), but I closed it out with my Navigraph window opened. I thought it was 100% on my second monitor at the time, but when I try to start it now, It is partially covering BOTH screens, and within a second or three of hitting the “Ready To Fly” button, I get that error message about my GPU possibly being too overclocked, but not only is it not currently overclocked, it has never been throughout my ownership of it, which was purchased brand new from Amazon.

So, before I start going nuts trying to reinstall the whole sim from scratch (which isn’t that big a deal, except I don’t keep it in the default location or even the same drive), or inspecting to see if I might have a hardware issue, I figured I’d check here to see if there may be a simple fix one of y’all know about that I don’t…

As always, if you have questions, fire away, and thanks in advance for any help I can get.

1 Like

Tap, Tap, Tap… Is this thing on?

I have confirmed that the problem is 100% somehow related to the Navigraph toolbar plugin. Once removed, I have no issues, but once reinstalled, the extra window still shows up straddling both monitors and I get the CTD with that “Your GPU may be OCed” message. I was able to shrink it before it closed out the last I tried, will see if it’s working here in a bit.

If not, I’ll have to remove it until someone comes up with a fix, or one of y’all has some wisdom to share…

1 Like

OK, it is positively the Navigraph in-game panel that is the offender. When I uninstall it, everything appears to work just fine, though I haven’t put it through a thorough test. When I reinstall it (the whole app, not just the updates), all is well.

So now I’m not sure if it’s Microsobo’s issue, or Navigraphs. One last thing to try, and then I’m done futzing with it, absent any other ideas. I’ll just use the Maps app separately, it’s more better (sic) anyway.

But, none of this makes sense.

1 Like

I have the issue and I do not use Navigraph. IT IS definitely Asobo’ s issue.

Hi, is there a solution with new drivers for the graphics card itself, but guess there’s a bug somewhere in the software

Your graphics device has encountered a problem and
Microsoft Flight Simulator exits
This may be due to graphics card overclocking, overheating or
Due to a driver error.

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

Brief description of the issue:

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions here - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons:

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions here - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons:

I’m more than happy to do so, but this is not some new bug unique to me. It also wasn’t doing it to me before I exited the plane with my Navigraph window detached, and on another monitor. When it tries to come up and crashes now (every time, without exception, until I uninstall the toolbar thingy), part of the window is on BOTH of my monitors. I don’t think it was like that when I intentionally put it on my other monitor to get it out of my way, but I can’t rule out the possibility that I did without realizing it.

Lastly, this is my thread, and I have not marked it as ‘solved’, so why is the forum software telling me it is?

Continuing the discussion from The dreaded "your GPU may be overclocked too much" CTD error:

Yes.

And I’ll try to remember to try the popped-out display and report back. But if you’re having the problem with 100% reproducability, and I’m having the problem with 100% reproducability, and it’s a very well-known bug (I know there was a long thread about it somewhere, but they rearranged this place so dramatically, so I’m not sure checking that is going to add any useful information, but I guess we’ll see.

But if they can’t reproduce it in house, I’ll sell them my peecee and use the money to buy a new one. Of course, with an i5-10600K and 3080 combo, it’s not old, or a slouch in any way. Probably in the top 5% of actual in use systems in the wild. Even if they traded me for a brand-new absolute top of the line everything, I’m not sure I’d notice!

1 Like

Again this is most likely another false-positive. People without Navigraph are also getting the bug. There might be something that triggers the bug but it varies from installation to installation, it may be whatever makes your GPU get a little excited, Navigraph in your case, another user reported it was popping out displays, etc. Popping out displays and having secondary windows is a common thing here because it makes the GPU work a little harder.

So far the only conclusion we have is that MSFS has some kind of uncatched bug related to GPU usage and so far the best workaround is to underclock the GPU memory, and eventually the GPU to prevent the bug from happening.

You can also try to address the trigger but that varies in each installation.

1 Like

The release notes for the update available right now (1.30.12.0) states “Several crashes have been fixed across the title”.

Any way of finding out if this is one of them… perhaps a Moderator or Community Manager could check for us?

1 Like

Just a reminder that moderators do not work for MS/Asobo and will not be able to comment on the issue. But they can escalate it as needed to devs.

3 Likes

Yes, understood, thank you.

1 Like

This issue is still not fixed. I just had it again while doing some of the glider training missions.

2 Likes

Try underclocking your GPU mem a little (about 100mhz) using MSI afterburner.
It has worked for many people here with the bug and is a harmless thing to try.

1 Like

Um. OK. But at best that’s a workaround, not a solution.

1 Like

Under clocking might be the solution for the problem because so many systems are overclocked by default,

2 Likes

I tried it, no help. Every time I start a flight, even with my 3080 underclocked as suggested, I got the same error and crash. Thanks for the help, though.

As I said, I only have no problems with DX12 (not overclocked, of course) with DX11 and can even overclock really heavily with Afterburner.

The only other thing I can suggest is to roll back your driver to v512.96 Studio as it seems the most stable I have found.

1 Like

So, I did a few things (no I wont underclock my GPU just for MSFS), one solution helped that some reported above: I updated to the latest NVIDIA driver (withour rolling back), but I opted into “perform clean installation”. Since then, the issue is gone. I had to re-do my settings in the nvidia control panel, but that wasn’t a biggy.

If anyone hasn’t yet, give that a try.

1 Like

Maybe some of the Nvidia settings is a trigger/cause for this problem and then when you perform a clean install that setting is reset to default fixing the problem.

1 Like