Warning: Your graphics device has encountered a problem

For those that get the Overheat or overclock error, for me I just started getting these after the last main update and I also updated the NVIDIA drivers. I only get to the main screen and then the error. I do have an old PC, etc. I noticed that while watching the performance monitor my NVIDIA GPU would be at 100% so I rolled back the NVIDIA Driver and did get an error at a 100% usage spike.

So are you guys looking at your GPU performance graph while starting up the SIM?

It seems to be affecting people at all different points. My latest few have been while flying.
Also had a couple at when pausing sim.

All GPU variants, including latest.

Some using DX11, some 12, TAA & DLSS.

My thoughts are it must be something the sim is making happen.

Also general consensus is this thread is no one had seen this prior to SU10 beta.

2 Likes

Try starting MSFS before starting any other apps … it works for me

1 Like

I too get this error but I wouldn’t say the sim crashes any more, or at any different situations, than it used to. The only difference is now I jus get an error with it.

Sorry to hear that I really am because I know it has been a struggle for lots of people and I have been very lucky not to have had any problems. I can only think it was because I did not have any high expectations and have done what I can in slow steps. I hope you the enjoy the sim “that shall not be named” (Harry Potter joke in there somewhere).
Good luck

1 Like

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

NO

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

often when I move the camera

Are you using DX12?

NO

Are you using DLSS?

NO

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

I thought only Nvidia users experience this warning? Not sure if AMD users (GPU) also have this error?

well, enter AMD in search bar, choose “this topic” and you find at least one report ( of course filter for the gpu ) :stuck_out_tongue:

I remember only one or two reports with AMD cards, and I hope not false reports, but at least they exist. But with this reports then a lot of possible reasons becomes unfortunately invalid.

I am having the same issue

By the way: I ve got the error message since this google maps add on was installed on my system. Because this add on did not work good for me Ive deinstalled it. Since than I still got the messages. So the question is: Did anyone had installed it? Can there some remaining files cause the error? On the other hand, some user have the error even at vanilla state.

I edited my previous message because like always, it turned out to be only a temporary solution. I don’t get this. Two really weird things keep happening.

1. When MSFS starts crashing, so do Kerbal Space Program and X-Plane
  2. Pretty much anything I change causes them all to start working again, but only as long as I keep playing

Before installing MSFS, the other games ran perfectly every time. And when I get it working, the other games also work. I suspect that this means that something that is shared by these 3 games is being changed by MSFS, and not changed back because it crashes too fast, instead of exiting gracefully.

Today I tried changing a couple of Windows graphics settings, but it didn’t work. I tried launching MSFS from Gforce Experience, and it is now running fine. I know for a fact that when I stop the sim and restart it, it will crash before I get to the runway, every single time, until I make some kind of change in the settings. I have no idea what this could be. None of this makes any sense.

I have a brand new PC with a fresh Windows 10 installation, and installed MSFS with no mods and no overclocking, and the issue started immediately, so Google Maps is not the problem.

did you re-checked that the windows hosts file is “clean” ? this tool creates entries in it.

did you re-checked that the windows hosts file is “clean” ?

How can I clean it??

Looks like my host file is clean. Ive deinstalled Google map Enh with deinstall routine.

grafik

Learnt it here, but I think Googl map Enh is fully deinstalled, also have not program folder anymore and nothing in the community folder.

1 Like

the simplest way is to delete the file and reboot :slight_smile:

see also: World map zoom in hangs/crashes the game - #13 by MichaMMA

PS: “not clean” means, there are lines in that file which not start with an “#” .

EDIT: to the EDIT :slight_smile: …

Yes, your file is clean. Thats the windows default.
The newer versions of that tool have also a correct uninstaller.

Good input. It´s the sim. In combination with specifik setups of hardware/windows… It´s a shame they does not comment this from MS+Asobo.
People that have spent thousands of dollars to be able to play the game just have to sit back and wait until they decide to speak out.

My general thesis that crashes occur more frequent just after an update is rolled out is strenghened after the latest update as well. Before the “hotfix” rolled out yesterday or the day before I felt that the message didnt pop up more than let say 1 of 3 flights. After the update it occured on first flight even before the flight was loaded and on my second flight on the runway, and even on the third one after 40 minutes…

So, if they can stop updating the sim for some weeks I hopefully will be able to fly again…

3 Likes

That might be the problem yes. Still the issue is to find out why the spike is…Is it really having a spike on 100% or is there something interfering leaving taskmanager “think” it is used to 100%. And if it is on 100%. Why is that?
I´ve had multiple crashes with the message and they occur very irregular. In many cases where the GPU absolutely shouldnt be using 100% (like in the menus)…

There is no fix until either Asobo or Microsoft solves it.

4 Likes

XMP IS NOT AN OVERCLOCK. XMP allows your ram to run at it’s rated speed instead of the base clock.

For me my gpu whilst ysing Dlss sits very low. The frames are good until I get in a more demanding area (KLAX) where in theory GPU usage should spike up higher and get the gpu to pull more grunt. But it doesn’t sometimes it’ll lag then crash. It seems Asobo still hasn’t gotten it right by a long shot. DLSS can’t be used to it’s full capability CORRECTLY if the consequence is that the sim just won’t fully utilize the gpu.

I’ll add that the cpu usage never goes above 20% with Dlss and none of the cpu cores are ever maxed out. So I get constantly Limited by GPU when in devs but the sim refuses to use more than 50%