Warning: Your graphics device has encountered a problem

Well, the crashes now continue. Some kind of MSFS2020 update, a Video Driver Update, and BANG - crash crash.

Not the CTD thing, the graphics freeze up cold, and I cannot do a thing - I have to kill the power supply, turn that back on, then reboot my computer.

I am getting pretty darn close to ending my use of this software.

I was a Beta Tester on it, I posted the airliner image flying along at ground level THEN, and again two days ago… STILL HAPPENING!

Now, I have almost ALL of my graphics cut down and shut OFF in MSFS 2020, and earlier today, it was a pilots dream to be flying… now???

FREEZE… five test flights in a row.

My final alternative (other than quitting this game) is to shut down the online services in DATA… that ought to stop the freezing, but it makes the game only slight better than FSX in graphics, but worthless with all the free aircraft available for FSX.

1 Like

It’s just so random, today tried it again (Without the update) ran beautifully for about 30min, landed all good and then just popped up…

I’m Not sure the problem is running out of memory. For me, I’ve started seeing this error on my new pc which has an Nvidia RTX4090. Also, I’ve got this message with different graphics settings (dx11 or dx12)

[526.98 release date 2022.11.16]

I had managed to fix the Crashes by lowering the graphic quality from High to Medium but with this latest update, the problems have returned. I see the problem in the startup load, that is, when it takes more than 3 minutes to load the game, I already know that this is not right. And I use a 3070Ti and a Ryzen 5600X.

The slow loading time is definitely linked, mine takes an age to get to the menu screen and that’s with no add-ons, it used to get there in under a minute, now it’s a few minutes, that’s even with a clean install…

Exactly, that is also my appreciation. I have seen differences in the loading times at the beginning, after having done different tests.

Well this issue is so utterly annoying. After Su 9 it started for my case. As always tended to be more frequent just prior a new update and well after. Followed through SU 10 and 11, but this week I have been playing it with almost no crashes and playing for hours in a row.

Until today. A new update for 740 MB downolads at startup and the sim crashes in menues. They do need to speak up about this…

Getting on my nerves!!

1 Like

Hello guys and girls,
Today was the first time I completed a full 2 hour flight, point to point.
These are the following changes I have made and I hope these work for you.

• Turn off HAGs
    *Cap frame limit to 60FPS
    *lower LOD to no higher than 120
  • Turn off XMP profile in your RAM and manually change it to your rated memory specs.

Hope this list works for you and happy flying!

Experimental / low power mode will stop your fps running away in the menus, it does not affect your flights

1 Like

So installed the new Nvidia drivers released today, and fingers crossed it seems resolved, the simulator once again loads in about 30 seconds rather than 3 minutes, everything set back to ultra and no crashes…Yet :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

almost 1800 comments and no word from MS on addressing this issue - has made the game unplayable for many. what a shame after investing thousands of dollars in hardware

i have installed the latest update and latest nvidia driver and the CTDs are still there for me. usually it is nvwgf2umx.dll causing the issue in event viewer, other times its something else but the crash is always on 15-20 mins in to a flight. just been extremely disappointed and frustrated lately.

btw i never had constant CTDs until SU11 and/or possibly the latest windows version. im guessing the culprit for me at least is one of those

2 Likes

seems you not read all posts :wink:

The main solution is so often repeated now, last 3 posts up. So try it and then report back…

PS: in special revert your “stable OC” ( CTD with stable CPU overclock ) … simple all of your OC somewhere.

Since the Nvidia drivers update it is completely stable again, had no issues today, tested with DLSS and TAA and no issues, ultra settings, add-ons, the GPU update certainly fixed the issue for me

Since new gpu driver can’t get as far as the game… fails in launching. Sound breaks first pictures flash and CTD. The 40th has been a disaster for me crashing all over the place, aircraft Veering off course, but the CTDs!! I’ve turned down settings to ease the strain on the gpu but no improvements. Monitoring the gpu temps and loads etc nothing appears stressed… so why all the ‘it’s the graphics adaptor fault’ dialogues! Frankly tired oh so tired of the sim. What are we to do Jorg?

1 Like

Just updated to the latest Nvidia driver. Nothing changed. It crashes halfway thru launch “Graphic driver…”

sorry didnt understand your post 100% - i am not running any OC - by bug report was why we cant OC our system and run MSFS but im trying without OC as well and still getting constant crashes

1 Like

I not want discuss about your bug-report, it just tell me that you play with OC ( PS: OC of a 13900k is absolutly pointless ) and so I guess that may be you done also other system settings which relates here. As kind of OC we also mentioned e.g. RAM XMP mode ( at least try not the highest ddr speed ), and others. The other solutions like HAGS , limiting fps, etc. we mentioned so often and I’am assume you not tried that. In special the constant time factor let all my instincts say “it is some kind of a system issue”. But , to be fair: because we not 100% sure, we still hope there is a bug in game which can be fixed. But only 377 votes over 3 months not let me see a general problem with the application - if that would be the case, we would see thousands of votes.

And an additonal PS, just because my english is not allways the best and can may be misleading. With system-issue is not allways meant that users did something wrong ( often the case, but not allways ). In special with all these bit newer hardware ( e.g. also ddr5 , gpu’s) is the net full of reports of trouble.

i would say that things like using ram xmp and HAGS and unlimited frame rates are normal things and if these are causing crashes then that is a bug in MSFS and a temporary solution.

i dont think that running our hardware sub optimally is the right solution

2 Likes

well , e.g. XMP its still OC and there are many " be aware " in the mainboard documentations.
Same for additional GPU overclocks, where most of the users buy a gpu model which is already factory pre-overclocked.

( HAGS not, that was long time the source of BSODs because of windows / or gpu-drivers ).

And unlimited framerates are useless. These was since ever useless and is also in year 2022 useless. Set a usefull max limit so that your gpu not renders 1000fps somewhere and overstress your PSU or whats ever. If the system crash because of that, the problem here lies still in the hardware and not in the application, because a application can of course consume 100% of the system load and the system must can handle that, otherwise it is not stable.

It is just: makes it sense to get 300fps , if for each human eye 100fps is sufficent ? - no. And because of the lower system usage you get with a usefull max fps limit, you can save energy and not produce (expensive) heat for your room. That human eyes needs hundred of fps is nothing else as a kidding from the gpu manufactors ( plus monitor manufactors ).

But, we come up from the topic. The point was: please do some tests, e.g. try out some recommendations from the community. As example set a max fps limit to 60fps, or 30fps ( depends what you get now, just a bit lower ) and check whether that will work. Same for the other given hints.
Then you can report back what you tried, what not worked and that is more usefull for the users ( like some of the users report a relation to the gpu driver version ).

note: MSFS did for me never crash in that way and I tried a lot to reprode/duplicate that issue.