Waste of time

Not exactly accurate. I had no addons at all and was still getting several CTD’s every day. Since turning off AI (offline) I have not had one CTD. Go figure

4 Likes

Here is the thing. The settings that the sim gives you as default doesn’t mean much. Mine are all set to high end as default, and I ended up having to tweak several of them in order to get the sim to perform the way I want, and still looks pretty good. On the other hand, I assume you are aware this sim is streaming based, so you might want to consider the fact that if you want to run this sim on ULTRA settings with 20mb is probably straining the sim and that perhaps is the reason you are having the CDT. I would suggest running it on high end settings and see how it does. Really, the difference between ultra and high is not much and instead you may end up with better performance.
I had my share of frustrations all the way since flight sim began, and I ended up quitting for quite a while due to performance reasons as well.

Hmm not so easy to check each add-on - it literally takes hours. The irony of this is that I am actually in the middle of testing each one of the 57 add-ons and it is taking forever.
What would you define as a test? Does it refuse to load? OK that is quick and easy to spot.
Does it load with all your aircraft?
Does it load OK and fly OK until say 5min out from the airport then crash?
I don’t have infinite amounts of time to parse through every variation on theme.
That is why I pay for add-ons because I expect these kinds of issues to be sorted out there by professional developers. I am not unreasonable there are going to be issues but to spend anywhere up to £30+ per addon and then find they are unusable is not reasonable.

3 Likes

I think you will find you are suffering from one of two issues.
The first is a bing data issue.
It seems to be affecting lots of users.
Turning off Bing Data in the options until they find and fix the issue seems to cure it for now.
This arose in the last couple days.

The second could be the Simconnect CTD Issue.
It too is hitting a lot of users.
There is a lot of info available here in the forum on Simconnect CTD.
It is been stated the fix is coming with the next update, I don’t know if that means the World Update3 or SimUpdate3 in early March.

The main part of the reason for a forum is to express your concerns, so I’m glad you posted.
I’ts no secret that a lot of others feel the same way!

Personally, the thing that keeps drawing me back is that it is soooo good when it is working.

6 Likes

the smallest minority often have the loudest voices. Im certain there are less people having CTDs than those experiencing them claim.

6 Likes

Interesting points because they sort of mirror my experiences. Very good points to contemplate. To sort of work around the internet speed problem I download a lot of the areas I fly in to the cache.

When you have spent the time and cash on this and then keep having issues can you understand why people are vocal?

2 Likes

Yes, offline AI traffic is/was an issue. I tried it for a while last month and also had a few crashes. Since switching back to live traffic, it’s been ok for me.

1 Like

Thank you that is a very useful response. Yes it is glorious when it works but I am beginning to explore other avenues because it is becoming a very, very big problem.
I have flown in real life and I am working towards my PPL etc and there are times when it has literally taken my breathe away when I have flown in certain situations because it can be so close to the real thing. However after a 4hour flight to have it CTD on or close to landing is like a kick in the face.

1 Like

That use to happen to me all the time with FSX due to memory issues.

Dear Asobo. I’ve owned MFS since release day. I run several mods, and have a significant amount of scenery in my community folder. I’ve only had 1 crash to desktop. Thank you for a stable simulator.

4 Likes

I had CTDs but increasing my virtual memory allocation to 1.5x memory installed fixed it.

If what you say is true, you have a conflict on your computer, and need to look closer at the software you have installed, the drivers you’re using, your power supply, and all of your components, starting with the MOBO. You are an outlier, not the norm, when it comes to CTD’s.

2 Likes

Having that happen at the end of a long flight is another symptom of the Simconnect CTD.

1 Like

Have you seen this thread?

[FIXED] CTD Exception code 0xc0000005 Crash to Desktop - Archives / Bugs & Issues - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

In summary, and I have experienced this too recently, live traffic appears to play a part in the issue. I know it shouldn’t and hopefully Asobo will find a fix, but it might help you to at least complete your flights.

If this isn’t your problem, it was still worth a try, and I’ll wish you luck in finding a solution.

If what you say is true, you have a conflict on your computer, and need to look closer at the software you have installed, the drivers you’re using, your power supply, and all of your components, starting with the MOBO. You are an outlier, not the norm, when it comes to CTD’s.

2 Likes

what makes you think i haven’t? Literally bought a new graphics card and more memory specifically for FS2020 and i get my fair share of issues too. I get frustrated too after flying across the ocean for 8 hours only to have the plane bug out and send me into a mountain. I just don’t let it bother me. Because it’s a video game.

Asobo has acknowledged CTDs. They will get fixed. Complaining about them won’t get fixed faster

Sidebar, imagine if you were flying IRL and the world crashed instead of your plane. Where do you go? Like an infinite void or what?

1 Like

Not all CTD have the same cause.

If you car stops and so does your mum’s car, hers may have an electrical fault whereas yours may just be out of petrol.

The current CTD issue that started yesterday is to do with Bing maps and custom textures. It is unrelated to other CTD problems people have been having.

Ironically, cheap dodgy freeware addons that are basically FSX imports will mainly still work as they just use the default parking aprons, taxiways and runways that come with the game regardless of the airport, this sort of addon usually has no custom texture files.

On the other hand, better quality payware addons usually have custom textures as the developer has gone to all the effort to match the scenery or airport look and feel with the real world.

As a result with the current CTD issues, quality addons will cause a CTD but most dodgy ones ( or just using the base game with no addons ) will be fine.

Beg to differ. He’s looking for Asobo to fix his problem, when it’s not likely an Asobo issue. The sooner he realizes that his issue of 16 of 20 flights ending in a CTD is a rarity, the sooner he can fix the conflict he has on his machine.

5 Likes

Whether I am an outlier or not is neither here nor there - there seem to be a number of people here who have gone through similar issues, so I am perhaps not such an outlier.
The software installed on this machine is windows an anti-virus and a few other programs and flight sim.
Everything is patched and updated regularly.