Weather like pre su7 before 8 AM UK time, photos and videos provided!2

Still seeing these changes around 8AM UK time (0700 UTC), notice how cloud structures become less formed and more puffy mess and the higher cloud structures in particular just disappear

Before:

After:

13 Likes

i really really hope we will finally see huge improvements in SU11

5 Likes

I remember saying the same thing about SU8, then 9, then 10…

14 Likes

Yes, same hope here :slight_smile:, let’s wait for SU11 Beta release notes to find out what comes about weather…

1 Like

Never experienced hard transitions like this before su7

3 Likes

Maybe your post should better go there: Weather transition is not smooth after SU7

1 Like

Yes, of course. Honestly su7 introduced so many issues I can’t keep up which thread to post to. It’s all related. Simpler if they revert and go back to pre-su7 weather rather than trying to save this chimera.

13 Likes

Sometimes it’s like using a different sim, like right now for me generally looks very good

This is the sort of weather I usually see early morning UK, which then changes to generic cumulus around 0700z

6 Likes

Anyone still seeing this? So far SU11 beta has been great for this issue. Clouds look amazing, nice overcasts and no weird, instant changes to Cumulous.

1 Like

I still see abrupt changes. I also still see a silhouette of the sun ( with eminating rays ) that is supposed to be completely hidden by thick clouds.

See Screenshot - taken in HDR - sorry that its blown out, but you get the idea…

2 Likes

Does anybody know if this is still happening? I don’t have many chances to try that early, but i was just wondering…

Will test it when I get the chance.

2 Likes

I don’t think so sadly. I think what we were seeing was the metar system slowly breaking and when it finally broke (those weeks where we had amazing skies again, prior to those two days of clear skies globally) they must have fixed whatever caused this.

Back to seeing the boring and frankly inaccurate cumulus clouds all over since that was “fixed”. I also noticed, the metar bubbles seem to interfere a lot more with “non covered” areas, so now the sim just doesn’t paint for example a overcast layer, where there should be one. I can consistently see this around my local airport (ekah), the last few days have been almost constant overcast. But the sim just doesnt care, it draws a basically clear skies day, just around the city and extending further into the mainland. The airport right next to it, fully covered in clouds and the coverage consistently ends around the same place.

I can’t fathom what is going on here, because IIRC even Asobo said that metar data shouldn’t interfere with meteoblue clouds.

10 Likes

I haven’t been able to get those pre SU7 clouds shown before 0700Z consistently since the server migration. I think they patched it up and we are not supposed to receive the old live weather clouds.

But, there is still a way to see them.

Switch to preset weather at 15min past the hour. Wait till half past and switch to live weather. Observe the improved clouds for a few seconds.

I think the weather updates hourly some time during this period and in preset mode the sim doesn’t post-process the new live weather cloud data until switching back.

12 Likes

Yes, they did say it shouldn’t interfere with clouds, and if that really were the case, then quite possibly we’d have no issue at all with the blending system.

But it does interfere. This is very likely a yet-unacknowledged bug. The system clearly does not act in accordance to what is being claimed. Clearly, this is indicative that something is wrong in there. A Bug.

And perhaps that is all that stands in between the metar blending system and the former glory that was the weather before its introduction. That would be a wonderful turnout, as it’d mean that a properly functioning metar blend might yet one day deliver those beautiful cloudscapes of pre-SU7.

Can we get a “Bug-Logged” status on this? There is plenty of evidence to support the conclusion that metar blending IS somehow interfering with cloud generation;

Given the statements that it should not do this, we have thus logically arrived at the presence of a bug.
i.e: The degradation into “All-Puffulus Weather” is incorrect and unintended behavior of the metar blending system.

8 Likes

Well, i’m not that sure it’s unintended. Remember the popcorn clouds everywhere? Those they removed. But i’m 100% sure those were placed to make the atmosphere feel a bit more varied than it were when su7 were released. But it turned out to feel even more generic.

Can we hope to see pre su7 weather back someday? Or is the battle lost. I bet it’s lost.

A question for those that want METAR to form weather in the sim. Why is METAR even reported? I know the answere. Because the weather constantly changes.

When we ask to have a METAR form weather it means we want the weather to be fixed fpr 30 minutes.

Well, they did fix that one. (One wouldn’t assume they had “intended” it, if they later made sure to make it go away. Nobody plans for bugs.)

But perhaps there was more to that story than originally thought. There’s even the chance that some relation might exist between this old issue and the yet-unsolved problem of cloudscape degradation. It might just be that popcorn-clouds wasn’t really as solved as all that after all.

Or it could be something else.

In my experience in software, bugs tend to have causes that are silly in direct proportion to the strangeness of their symptoms. That is: The weirder a bug appears, the more one goes “D’Oh!” when the reason for it is discovered. No amount of experience can make a programmer immune to this law.

I wouldn’t say the “battle is lost” - not at all. Quite possibly, there really was never a battle.
We’ve just been observing things without enough information to decide on whether they should be seen as consequences of a poor tradeoff, (the original “why did you do this to us?!” theory) or simply as something that should be reported as a bug (a more likely explanation with far less hubris/blame to go around)

Which is why I’d like to have this thread reassessed by community managers and reinterpreted as a bug report. - It should read:
Metar Injection is causing adverse effects of severe degradation to the quality of cloud depiction.

We were informed (albeit not sufficiently) that Metar blending should NOT have any effect on cloud formations in the sim.

It does.

Assuming no critical points were lost in poor communication, we can then infer that a bug does indeed exist. And therefore, that the sub-par cloudscapes since SU7 are the result of undesired/unintentional behavior, aka: a Bug.

6 Likes

But the METAR disturb weather thread has been around since su7 were released. Why isn’t that stated as bug logged if it’s not intended. There is so many bug reporting threads that appeard right after su7 were released. haze appear suddenly, transitions are not smooth, Metar disturb weather, clouds stops injecting after some distance flown. To name a few.

To me all of this feels more like they completely broken the weather system but when they talk about it in the q&a it sounds like there is no issues at all.

I believe that when there’s not a bug logged tag it means the devs weren’t able to repro the issue.

I’m really starting to believe what someone said recently. That the devs (those that we see at the Q&As) rarely if ever fly with live weather enabled.

Just notice when they’re releasing some videos on their channels. They always use weather presets.

3 Likes

It does FEEL like that. But that is an observation coupled to an interpretation of a chain of events. Not necessarily it points to the core of the matter.

Yes, clouds DO look significantly less impressive than they were before SU7. Something must be broken.

Was it a deliberate choice that did this? Because devs assumed players cared more about weather matching VatSim than they do about the game looking good? – I find that conclusion rather unlikely.

If nothing else, it is contrary to every other criticism put towards Asobo by the louder players, the much more common theme being “they only care about eye candy” and similar. - Any merit to such claims is entirely beyond the point here. This is only to point out a trend which in itself provides contrary arguments to the premature conclusion that “weather broke because of a bad idea”

A more straightforward explanation would go “weather broke because something isn’t working as expected”.

This is a more plausible scenario that completely eschews hubris as a causing factor. It also fits the claims of “clouds should not be affected” in a way that does not require additional theories of “lies and defensive misdirection” to make sense.

Quite possibly, people have been so distraught by the degradation that nobody had yet thought of lodging the matter in the form of a bug report. I’m doing this now:

Bug Report:

Assumed Intended behavior: Clouds like of Pre-SU7, with metar blending used to ensure accuracy with live real-world reports.

Observed behavior: Clouds look markedly less authentic than Pre-SU7, with repetitive patterns and very visible circles of discontinuity around weather stations. Also, accuracy with real-world reports remains unsure.

That is how a bug should be put forth. And this is the bug we’re reporting now. We would like to see a “Bug-Logged” tag on this thread to indicate that the matter has been correctly reassessed under these assumptions and will be treated as an item that requires fixing.

Additionally, we suggest an alternative/workaround that might serve satisfactorily in the meantime:
To install a toggle option to disable Metar Blending by user preference.
This option would provide much desired relief, greatly improving conditions to unearth the true cause of the problem. It would favor much clearer feedback from non-bereaved players, whilst devs may work under far less negativity and pressure than otherwise.

12 Likes