Weather transition is not smooth after SU7

The problem is that we are now in november, and that in that season, most of the northern hemisphere temperate climate zones are supposed to see stratus type clouds. But it’s quite impossible to see any type of clouds like these ones in flight simulator : where are the cirro-stratus ? the Cirrus ? the very high and beautiful cirro-cumulus ? Where are the alto-stratus ?
All we can see are those cumuliform clouds, very often shaped like cotton-clouds…
It’s ok for summer or spring. But not for autumn nor winter…

I think, that is what HitherRhyme2844 meant:

Cloud layers at different heights and bands of cirrus clouds in the distance. I have always loved such views and I fear with the introduction of metars they will be history.

Instead something like this here: sterile and cheerful.

It’s very disappointing. An independent dynamic weather engine was announced. Now they try with all force to take over the weather 1:1 from the real world, just so that the weather on the hectopascal exactly matches a metar.

3 Likes

The reality is that the weather depiction in India before this update was way worse. No way you’d see 100+KM even on a good day in Delhi or Mumbai. At least now, they have started to work on bringing visibility reductions into the board. I wonder whether it is possible to recreate this haze effect using a custom weather preset, as using a cloud makes this whole thing look more like fog than haze with clouds on the top rather than something resembling an inversion line as you see here.

1 Like

yes, i already observe this cloud wall before, but the haze disapearing suddently, no, it has been introduce by SU7.

1 Like

Isn’t the core reason here the bug that they interpret cloud bases in METAR as AMSL instead of AGL? When away from an airport they use Meteoblue data (which is correct), when you get closer it switches to METAR. But since METAR cloud base is interpreted wrong it will cause the clouds to “jump down” by the airports elevation.

So when you’re in Holand you shouldn’t see much difference (airports at more less sea level), but if the airport is higher the clouds might jump down even a few thousand feet.

I think it’s one of many bugs sadly. All of which should have been spotted during testing.

Clouds actually didn’t look tooooo bad on my last flight. But i too would like to see more stratus types.

I have done three long distance flights in the last three days - two of which were over an active storm system in the east coast of the US, and I am still seeing the kind of highly varied cloudscapes shown in your first photo. I have seen several posts similar to yours where people are (apparently) assuming that with the new system, all clouds come only from METAR observations and that is not the case.

The existing MeteoBlue model has not been scrapped - it is still the primary source of weather (and clouds) in the sim environment. As near as I can tell from observations (without knowing the specific technical details of how the new system works), METAR observations only influence the placement of clouds in the immediate vicinity of airports, and only when the aircraft is at relatively low altitude.

I do not know the exact radius of or height of “METAR influence” but from what I have seen, I am confident that once an aircraft is cruising at higher altitudes, all weather injected into the sim environment is coming only from the existing MeteoBlue model just as it always has.

The lack of extensive stratus or true cirrus cloud types has always been an issue with Live Weather since the very beginning - long before METARS were added.

5 Likes

I did a few flights today, and finally I was able to see the weather fronts and other clouds…I have the feeling that a few layers of clouds are happening below sea level!!! In many places I have seen clouds popping from the sea and lands! and what once was a weather front crest of high clouds are now a lot lower than they should be!!

3 Likes

I was pleasantly surprised tonight - we juts had a front come through here in Central Florida. I thought once I booted up at KMCO I would see clear skies for miles and miles. When I took off, I noticed clouds to the East. I thought “Oh no here wee go again!”. But. after checking further on widny.com the satellite view and some of the METARS on the east coast, the weather in MSFS matched up beautifully! I continued east over the Atlantic ocean to be greeting by a wonderful moon rise and cloud deck below, just as the satellite photo shows on windy.com!

Either I’m lucky tonight, or maybe Asobo or Meteoblue did some adjustments? Totally agree there needs to be more adjustments and cloud types added, most are this weird semi-transparent fluffy specimen. But at least the clouds, temp, wind are where they should be tonight in Central Florida!

(this link shows area I wa flying tonight, probably not valid after about 3 hours from post time :slight_smile:

I’ve also been having a good time with live weather in the last two days. Clouds are not at the correct height (and I don’t think it’s because the AGL/MSL calculation is wrong), but flying over the mountains in northern Mexico, I haven’t run into any abrupt transitions or clouds/haze popping in and out.

Remember the times before METAR

10 Likes

Your video makes me sad… :sob: I want the old weather engine back!! :neutral_face:

6 Likes

Yeah we should handle it as it is the real weather. Not compare it with real weather. It was very dynamic and thats hard to integrate static things in. Either they make it dynamic (realistic)
or they make it static (more accurate but less realistic) It will be hard to manage both at the same time i think. It makes double workload for them. And twice as hard to find bugs.

We should atleast have options to turn it off if we want to.

That’s the basis when adding new “beta” functionnalities. Offering the user the possibility to turn them off. They don’t have basis.

3 Likes

Totally agree on that.
First make a solid base sim and focus then on extra content.
Still no keybinds for all the G3000 buttons but yippee whe can race in planes… so you can also in The Crew if you like arcade.

This is what i get when meteoblue predict clouds and metar says something else. METAR is prioritized not blended with meteoblue. Hope they can atleast give us option to turn off METAR. It’s braking the weather system. Then they maybe can add only the important things from METAR as fog/haze. Not add everything from it and remove everything from meteoblue in those airports/metar circles.

3 Likes

This seems to be true, and it’s highly problematic when you fly at or near an airport, or a large number of airports such as in a densely populated area like Los Angeles.

I’ve definitely seen a lot of abrupt transitions of haze layers, and much-much-much-too-low-clouds at and around airports, which is problematic as I like to do VFR flights in that area and sometimes I can’t land even though the METAR says there’s plenty of ceiling. :slight_smile:

I’m sure they’ll work it out eventually, I just hope it’s sooner than later.

Yes, I have already noticed the “disappearing” clouds - you see a band of clouds in the distance (from these cumulus) and fly towards it and the closer you get the less clouds there are, plus there are “light jumps” from the city lighting !

1 Like

I cannot believe they released a Sim update in this condition (or can I?). The WX system needs to be rolled back to what we had in SU6. Experimenting with new WX interpolations/Metar injections, etc needs to be done behind the scenes and released when they actually work. Hope they can quickly resolve this issue and not wait until the next Sim update to correct it…

3 Likes