What Controllers are you guys using?

I’ve just about had it with my Logitech Extreme Pro 3D. Never had an issue with it in XP11 but constantly having issues with MSFS. The latest is uncontrollable roll/takeoff with Textron 172. I mostly fly jet aircraft, so I would like your take on what you guys/gals are comfortable using. I had the X52 and did not like it. I am leaning towards the Airbus Thrustmaster.

2 Likes

I keep things pretty simple amd basic and use CH Products across the board for everything flyable. I fly the vast majority of the time GA but when I do dabble with tube liners for a screenshot or two everything works as it should.

Are you sure it’s not a software glitch and not the hardware itself? After one update my rudder peddles were acting very strange and come to find out the update switched around some settings for me.

Honeycomb Aplha and Bravo with Saitek Pro Pedals. You can set the Bravo up for both GA and Jets, single and multi engines. I love it.

7 Likes

Happy with my Thustmaster TCA sidestick Airbus edition. Hall effect sensors for the win!

Twist/rudder is a still potentiometer so I’m sure that will give me trouble eventually. Still I think the sidestick is a good value.

2 Likes

currently using logitech joystick extreme 3d pro cuz build in rudder function. atm having restricted table/floor area so proper rudders pedals would be always in way

2 Likes

My Old Logitech Attack 3 would not work well in MSFS, though I have managed with it for a few months. I now have a new Thrustmaster Airbus Edition controller which I have been very pleased with so far.

I also have but am not using at present a Saitek yoke, pedals and throttle quadrant which are getting very old and temperamental.

Accidentally replied to a reply, so deleted and here we go again…

All of my stuff is CH Products, old, but reliable. My pedals are finally failing after nearly 20 years, and I’m replacing with VIRPIL Ace Interceptor, but for the time being I’m keeping my CH stick and throttle.

The Honeycomb yoke is on my radar, but I’ve never really had good luck with sim yokes, so… for the time being my CH Fighterstick serves me well even if its not really ‘accurate’ for the types of planes I’m flying. it is precise tho, and comfortable. The CH Pro Throttle is starting to feel a little clunky after all these years, but remains my ‘go to’.

I only fly the Airbus, so my Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant Officer Pack with the addon feels amazing.

1 Like

What does “uncontrollable roll/takeoff” mean?
Are you using it for rudder control? (Personally, I can’t stand using the twist axis for rudder control)

I use the same joystick you are, and am perfectly happy with it, along with CH Products rudder pedals and Ch Products Throttle Quandrant.

The one thing I really like about the joystick is I repurposed the throttle on the joystick to the Trim -100% - +100% Axis, and flying is so much easier than trying to use buttons for trim. I don’t think people realize how important it is to properly set up trim at the various stages of flight, especially at takeoff.

Make sure if you are using rudder pedals that you’ve turned off the twist axis on the joystick. That was screwing me up for a while in FSX as I didn’t realize I hadn’t done it (First thing I did when I set up MSFS).

The one thing I still have trouble with is landing with a 30 knot cross-wind in a GA plane, as the plane transitions from flying to “taxiing” as it lands, all of a sudden the plane wants to weathervane and turn and get pushed into the wind. It took me a while to figure that one out, what was going on ("Wait, the windsock is blowing towards me, why am I being pushed into it). Makes it really hard to get cross-wind landing working properly. They really need to work on their wind/taxi dynamics. It’s really annoying.

I suppose I should stay away from landing in 30 knot cross-winds :roll_eyes:

1 Like

TM Warthog hotas, stick and throttle, and those posh TM rudder pedals… :slightly_smiling_face:

Logitech 3D Pro, like you. Never got issues with it. As well as a throttle quadrant, also by logitech

2 Likes

Saitek Yoke - upgraded from my old and sketchy CH yoke. Love it, very solid.

CH Pedals - ancient, but they work fine.

Honeycomb Bravo - changed my life! Makes me giggle every time I engage the thrust reversers!

I’ve been sim flying since 84/85 but it was always “sim” flying until I got the Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo. Now I have control. The emersion has been phenomenal. Cost a little more but well worth it.

1 Like

But that is realistic behaviour isn’t it? With Crosswind from the left, the plane will try and weathervane into the wind due to the forces on the horizontal stabiliser/tailplane/rudder. You have to compensate for this with right/opposite rudder and left aileron to compensate for the wind, which you will already be doing during the flare as you side slip into the wind.

I have been using The TM Airbus edition joystick but have got so fed up with the random rudder issues not to mention trying to cross controls for a crosswind landing is extremely unintuitive with the rudder in the same hand as the ailerons/elevator. For this reason, I have just ordered some CH products rudder pedals from ebay as I really want to nail proper rudder technique for those tricky crosswind landings.

1 Like

I wouldn’t be blown INTO the direction of the wind, and technically, I’d be blown away sideways before my plane would have a chance to turn into the wind. In other words, the wind is coming from the right, my plane would be forcefully blown towards the wind.

Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo. Best purchase I ever made.

2 Likes

I think you would. The nose of your plane will veer into the wind and you will end up on the grass on the LEFT side of the runway, if you don’t compensate. Your front wheels will grip and your tail wheel would steer in a taildragger but in a tricycle undercarriage scenario, your wheels grip the runway and your tail will be blown to the right and your plane will steer left

2 Likes

Original CH Flight Yoke and Pedals. Have used since FS 2004 and was working fine with FS 2020 till WU4. They still work fine but I have the Esc Key bug.

Still using my ancient X52. Might be time for new, because it has issues.

There are only two things I have to solve before I go for the new controllers. 1) What should I buy (if there is good quality with a pricetag no more than 150€. 2) Where to get that money?

Microsoft Sidewinder :blush: for sooooooo many years…