What did you do in MSFS today? (Part 1)

Fun 39 minute flight from Kona, HI Onizuka Intl (PHKO) to Lihue, HI (PHLI) in the Longitude. Full flight video link below!

FULL FLIGHT! Kona, HI (PHKO) to Lihue, Kauai (PHLI) in the Longitude! - YouTube

3 Likes

Keep coming back here… the Quiberon LFEQ addon has something magic… and it has a lovely little coast village to fly around…

6 Likes

… and tried my new taildragger toy today… taking off is a challenge but when it’s up… I love it… took me 3-4 crashes to take off the first time (left swing… gyro ? pick your airport, check weather for sidewinds and keep the elevator up, seems to be the only recipe. so it’s a challenge to keep her on the runway, but the control of this thing once it’s up flying… keeping the visor halfway on a target, you just fly into someone’s back yard from 3000 Ft up… first taildragger with some speed for me… new experience !

i

5 Likes

I’ve been making note of unusual places in CONUS to visit. One of them is Point Roberts, literally a piece of Washington State USA, cut off from the contiguous mainland by British Columbia.

Long story short is they ended up this way because of the 49th Parallel and the Oregon Treaty. Strange little spot; after third grade the kids in town have to take a 45 minute bus ride to Washington State to attend school. One doctor in town, everyone else needs to drive back into WA or pay out of pocket to Canadian providers (if they can).

The airstrip is a well-maintained grass field south of the town’s main Golf Course, last I heard the original owners are trying to get a GPS approach established and published. I launched out of Orca Island, and it was a 00:09:00 ride enroute.

Orca Island Departure:

Checkpoint Sucia Island - turn to the NNW:

Tankers, Ferries and even a Royal Canadian Navy frigate in the waters around Vancouver:

Roosevelt Road is the main boundary line between US and Canada sides; the T-shaped building in the lower left with blue-gray roofing is the US Customs checkpoint. The smaller cross-shaped building directly in back of it closer to the horizon is the Canadian Customs side:

This frame clearly shows how Point Roberts is bounded on three sides by water and the only accessible land entry/exit is to the North through British Columbia:

Point Roberts sole airfield is on the SouthWest part of the peninsula, in the first frame it’s just past the tadpole shaped marina and the smaller saltwater pond:

On approach to RWY16, just under 2,500’ long:

5 Likes

Today, I downloaded a whole load of New York addons and flew from La Guardia over the city at 20 FPS. Sone of those addons are going to have to go.

NYC is pretty demanding in its standard format TBF.

Tomorrow, I plan to review my Switzerland addons and give the Swiss Alps a go.

2 Likes

KSNA - my home airport. Cool.

1 Like

trying out some flying iron

oh that puppy sounds sweet starting up. It’s almost a shame to close the canopy

4 Likes

My canopy is opened 97% of the time !! Plus, I fly in VR and love to peak my head outside the cockpit from time to time :sunglasses:

4 Likes

a vid of my first flight around scenic Queenstown, NZ. Just familiarizing with the plane, crashed on landing and should have taken out the high tension power lines while closing the canopy. Or rather they should have taken me out.

This thing is much harder to take off than I expected (yes that is a ‘yip’ edit)

I see a Grand Canyon run in my future

3 Likes

After reading this in a Pilot Magazine Flight Test on the Ryan…

" Later that evening Jean explains that the ST-A is fitted with what he describes as a “salesman’s static”. Basically, the position of the static port is such that it under-reads at the slow end of the speed spectrum (and thus the aircraft seems to stall at a very low speed) but overreads at high speed. Consequently the indicated airspeeds are both slower and faster than they actually are?a salesman’s static indeed!" .

We decided to take the Ryan to a safe altitude and explore it’s Stall characteristics and these Screens were taken seconds before the Port Wing drops away. ( Check Speedo ).

High above the Clouds flying over Wiltshire in the Sad Old Dis United Kingdom.

2 Likes

Just throwing this out there, but I’m totally the type of friend that if you were flying with VR and stood up from your chair, you’d hit your head on a book that I would be holding over your head to mimic you bumping your head on the canopy! lol You’ve got to close that thing man! ha ha

3 Likes

We’re certain that someone on the Forum suggested setting up an electric fan in front of your Monitor to replicate Slipstream and blow Wind in your face.
We’re enjoying the Breeze as i write this. Cool ! (literally).

ps. It’s 9-30 pm and 18 centigrade in the UK.

2 Likes

Never!!! Hahaha :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

These are brilliant tips and thanks. I have been stuck on 495 airports and after about 10 short hops thins evening it moved to 497. Looks like i am going to have to turm real weather off as well.

All this explains while after landing at over 900 airports its not recording nearly 50% of them.

Thanks to you @Zathrus63 Now only the Decathlon Acheievment to do

Here are some tips i found for Jack of All Planes

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/jack-of-all-planes-achievement/370631

Found some paying passengers to join me from Yakutat to Juneau. As the weather started getting worse closer to our destination, dodging between mountains and low clouds, I began to wonder if they had any regrets flying with me. But we got there safely in the end.

2 Likes

Flew some river valley in Northwest Idaho out of Boise…:

Looks like a bit of weather is setting in:

7 Likes

everyone needs a Penny https://youtu.be/zx4KoZV9fBw?t=248

1 Like

You can Smell that Alpine air,… Nice Movie. Thanks !

I’m taking a spontaneous trip around the world in the Turbo Arrow. I did a few test flights in and out of my local airport before heading down the eastern seaboard of the US. Currently on my way to the Florida Keys before hopping down to the Caribbean and further into South America. I don’t have a firm plan, just where ever is within range. Not such a good day to go to the Keys, though.

4 Likes

Did another VOR practice, in a plane with modern avionics (DA62 with DA62X mod). Portland-Hillsboro (KHIO) to Walla Walla (KALW), via BTG LTJ PSC.

This is a relatively straightforward route that mostly follows the Columbia River, meaning you have a VFR fallback for navigation if weather is good.

After takeoff going north from Hillsboro I climbed up to 8500 MSL to sail over the KPDX class C airspace going to BTG. On my way I dialed in the frequency for LTJ on NAV2, and set up the heading bugs to help confirm where everything was.

At BTG I switched over to NAV2, centered, and re-activated nav mode; everything went well. But at LTJ, I found that I couldn’t receive the signal from PSC yet – so I looked up the proper course on the VFR sectional and rode the radial out of LTJ until PSC was close enough to come in clear. (It’s important to stay north of the river for this segment, because there’s a large military restricted zone down on the Oregon side!)

Hit PSC and headed down towards ALW, and set in a 500 fpm descent that wasn’t quite enough to reach pattern height, so I sped up the descent a bit toward the end. :wink:

Tower assigned me landing on runway 20 with left pattern, and everything came together pretty well. Parked, and engines off. Another successful navigation! :slight_smile:

4 Likes