What did you do in MSFS today? (Part 1)

Pulled up the Los Angeles terminal area chart from the FAA’s PDF downloads and tried one of the designated LAX VFR corridors through the class B. Managed to misread the chart and entered the airspace earlier than I thought (whoops), better luck next time!

Took the “Colosseum” route, which goes through the SLI (Los Alamitos) and VNY (Van Nuys) VORs and requires cruising at 8500’ (westbound) or 9500’ (eastbound). Starting from John Wayne should have done a winding ascend around to the south, then back up. Landed Burbank.

For a Cessna 172 on that short a route this is a lot of wasted time climbing and descending; I’d be better off going north from John Wayne and staying underneath the LAX class B. :slight_smile: But if I were coming from San Diego and landing at Santa Barbara, say, it might not be a bad option.

6 Likes

Man, I miss the Twin Otter. I should really take it to the skies again soon. Even if the sounds aren’t the best (the german guy yelling when shutting down the engines is hilarious though) it’s still very enjoyable to fly.

1 Like

This:

8 Likes

Flew back to Sydney from Melbourne.

YMML RWY34 DCT DOSEL Y59 RIVET YSSY RWY34L

Melbourne at dawn:

Sydney early in the morning:

Landing was very, very smooth. :slightly_smiling_face: I always seem to get that gate. :wink:

4 Likes

It feels awkward seeing an airliner that close to the Pentagon.

If there’s one plane that can get that flight plan approved, it’s air force one. :wink:

1 Like

Thats it Im reporting this whole thread to the NSA…obviously some subversives in here! Bwhahahahahhahha

2 Likes

Isola d’Elba-Lucca.

Elba

Leaving Portoferraio

Very hot summer days well spent at the beach, Cecina

Pisa

Before the final right turn to land at Capannori/Tassignano

8 Likes

The best route to fly is the SFRA in my opinion - flown it several times IRL. Super easy and you don’t even need to talk to anyone. Just squawk 1201, fly at 4500’ northwestbound or 3500’ southeastbound, and track the SMO 132° radial, which takes you right over LAX.

3 Likes

are the beach accessoires an addon?

Factory Butte, Utah color and gray scale

7 Likes

The best route to fly is the SFRA in my opinion - flown it several times IRL. Super easy and you don’t even need to talk to anyone. Just squawk 1201, fly at 4500’ northwestbound or 3500’ southeastbound, and track the SMO 132° radial, which takes you right over LAX.

Nice! It feels “wrong” to fly straight over midfield of a major airport, but that’s exactly where the big planes aren’t. :wink:

2 Likes

Unless they are going around, no?

1 Like

They should still be well below 3000’ over midfield if doing a go-around – hence the minimum VFR altitude for the special flight rules area. :wink:

Ah, there we go, found the chart:

3 Likes

That’s where I got my start too… This version of the Sim is so amazing compared to what we had only a few short years ago… I think a lot of people forget that.

4 Likes

Nice, I had the Atari 8-bit version of SubLogic Flight Simulator II; pretty much the same but slightly worse graphics than C64 IIRC. :wink:

I miss that it came with a manual back in the day! I learned how VOR navigation worked and stuff, it was almost as much fun to read as to fly the sim. :wink:

3 Likes

No, just photogrammetry.

1 Like

I started in 1960 with this.
deluxe-reading-jimmy-jet-airplane_1_666c91f8340aed48846485aa51e2985f

Then 38 yrs later started again with yearly versions of mfs and pro pilot on a Compaq computer and a Microsoft joystick. All the way to fsx. Now using msfs on a Xbox because I really can’t buy a souped up pc to run the sim. Between 2010 and 2016 I owned and flew a c150 in real life.

13 Likes

Pulling G’s over the Bahamas

6 Likes

I loved the sim on the C64!

With frame rates that were in the single digits and graphics that were so minimal that the instruments were almost unreadable, one required a certain amount of imagination power to complete the illusion of flight, lol!

1 Like