What did you do in MSFS today? (Part 1)

Nothing says Halloween like a jack-o’-lantern and a spooky graveyard, so I did a couple launches in this balloon from the Tucson aircraft boneyard.

Light that candle for the full effect!

The winds were great for some endurance, altitude and distance test flights, light at the surface and strong unidirectional flow aloft. Got it up to 50,000 feet and was cruising in the jetstream winds.

I had to leave and didn’t want the kids destroying my flight so I locked my computer. Unfortunately Flight Simulator decides it has to be paused when the computer is locked, instead of simply running in the background. Not a problem in itself, however, the balloon envelope continues to cool as I’m guessing the code calculating that is running independently. When I returned, the balloon had cooled to the ambient outside air temp, the envelope collapsed and I was now a lawn dart in free fall with a giant orange streamer. It’s a long drop from 50,000’.

I redid the flight, but it was too late to do a full endurance run. I left the sim to run overnight with the balloon at 60,000 drifting east southeast from Arizona into Mexico, expecting to find a black screen in the morning. Miraculously the balloon self landed in a tiny forest clearing west of San Antonio, having crossed the border back into the US. No crash detected.

7 Likes

The long-awaited welfare vehicle arrived.
I flew to Sendai with my son in it.

6 Likes

Flying in the HJet from PASD (Sand Point), Alaska, to PADU (Unalaska)

8 Likes

I’ve been spending the half term holidays flying the Apennine’s bush trip modified for a glider (asw33). Only thing I have changed besides the glider is a tweak to the weather. I’ve managed to setup some fairly limp thermals alongside an ok wind to drift the odd ridge soaring fun.

Today was from Aviosuperficie Olivola to Aviosuperficie Grumento nova.

https://fly.volanta.app/flights/c7351826-05d8-47f1-ac2e-9dc75dd41b01

Handy ridge.

Naples in the distance.

6 Likes

On my tour over Oceania I found pitch black perfect shaped islands

discovered the land of 1001 horrible spikes

see beautiful sunrises

(… a perfect fog layer early morning over the flat south of papua, best I have seen in two years, superb!)

and find awesome places like this crater lake

I enjoy my flying there much despite of the poor aerials and the horrible mesh.

4 Likes

Flew CYOW to CYUL in the dc6 late last night

3 Likes

How can you “pan” arround your aircraft inside the hangar ??? since one of the updates ( looong time ago), I haven’t been able to do that anymore, and i’d love to sometimes, while undecided which livery to choose.
In the very beginnign, i was able to do it, now not anymore :thinking:

Flew the DC6 from CYUL to CYQB there’s three islands I have to stop at before going north back to my starting point

2 Likes

This looks more complicated than it really is! This is the method I use, maybe someone knows another quicker trick.

• Go the airplane folder
  • Open the camera.cfg file in Notepad
  • You will see this:

[VIEWS]
eyepoint = 43.72074,

Change it to:

[VIEWS]
eyepoint = 13.72074,

Save the file

• Start the game. Your cockpit view will be strange as you are now in a funny viewpoint - this is intentional
  • Using arrow keys set a wingview like this:
    FlightSimulator 2022-06-07 18-05-48
  1. Bind the view to a numpad key using CTRL + numpad key of your choice
  2. Save the camera.cfg file
  3. Open the camera.cfg again in Notepad
  4. Reverse the changes - change it back to eyepoint = 43.72074
  5. Save the file
  6. Start the game, load the plane
  7. Press the numpad key corresponding to your wingview
  8. Now press the arrow keys and you can go outside the plane and anywhere in the cabin

Notes

• You can of course set multiple wingviews
  • If your main cockpit view (straight ahead) is strange AFTER you restore original values in cameras.cfg file then just use arrow keys while in cockpit and once you have it at the right place bind it to the numpad (I recommend numpad 8)
  • Do the same for any other views that are odd
3 Likes

1: Arriving at CYMT at sunset

2. Departing CYMT.

7 Likes

Flew the dc6 from CYQB to CYPN

1 Like

Flew the dc6 from CYPN to CYGR

1 Like

And then flew the DC6 from CYGR to CYHZ

1 Like

Flight from PHNL to SAN, my arrival into SAN overlapped with the event at STL and also had a CTD (my fault) as I exited at SAN, did some studying and then since fingers crossed ATC was on thought I’d hop up to SFO.

1 Like

Nighttime IFR from Norfolk Regional (KOFK) to Rapid City Regional (KRAP)

Had some trouble with the approach: Even though at the procedures page the right transition point was shown, the map tried to lead me to a different one. In the end I added the transition point manually as a waypoint.

Landed a bit rough at about 400fpm, but as the saying goes: if you can walk away from it…

2 Likes

A nice 1.5 hour flight from KSFO to KSEA in the 787. Running super smooth :call_me_hand:

5 Likes

thank you very much for that xplicite answer…and fast. But i was refering to the views in the hangar. Not during the “game”

1 Like

Welcome, I forgot to clarify - yes, to get those hangar views you will still need to follow those steps.

Unless theres another way.

I initially did all that just to make wingviews…and then discovered that a side effect of doing that was being able to exit the plane in the hangar :slight_smile:

1 Like

thanks a lot

Wooo that was an intense Photoshop week with the 737 and the Fenix! - Taking a break from the sim (or to be more precise from Photoshop) to celebrate the Halloween weekend with my other passion: good movies and horror games :smiley:

1 Like