What did you do in MSFS today? (Part 2)

Christ the Redeemer at Rio de Janeiro (Brazil) with turbulence and problems with the engine and altimeter. It was supposed to be an easy flight back to to the Cessna 152 after some months, departing from Nova Iguaçu (Ushuaya Air Club, SDNY) and landing at the Jacarepaguá Airport at Rio de Janeiro (SBJR), with a low flight by the famous statue of Christ the Redeemer.

Instead, after 10 minutes of flight, when I was passing by the Tom Jobim International Airport (SBGL, aka Galeão), suddenly a loud, rough sound started. All gauges were Ok, no difference in engine power, but I decided to land at the nearest airport – which was already the Santos Dumont Airport (SBRJ). Almost reaching the downwind leg, but still too high, the strange sound stopped and I decided to continue the flight as planned. Near the famous statue, I reached a tough mountain turbulence, but managed to fly according to the plan (in real life, I would have to fly 400 feet above the simulated flight and require specific authorization). Getting to the destination, I realized that I was approaching the airport from the East and the sun was almost at the horizon in front of me: I had a very poor vision of the airport and turned to the downwind leg too early. Already at the final I noticed the altimeter was marking 200 ft below sea level! I turned around and adjusted it adequately. I have no clue on what happened to the engine and the altimeter.

Once again, I noticed that there is no emergency on MSFS! No “mayday” on radio, no effect on changing the transponder code, nothing! I changed the transponder to 7700 anyway, but it was not an easy task with a Samsung Gear VR controller.

I’ve already posted a shorts on YouTube (passing by the Christ statue):

Screenshots:

Passing by the Galeão Airport (Tom Jobim, SBGL), when the engine problem started.

Rio-Niterói Bridge at the Guanabara Bay.

Santos Dumont Airport.

Approaching the Corcovado with the Christ the Redeemer on top of it.

Christ the Redeemer.

Pedra da Gávea and the Tijuca Lagoon.

Do you see the airport?

220 feet below sea level? Turn around!

The flight path.

6 Likes