What did you do in MSFS today? (Part 2)

After the preparations from post #2579, today it was time for the first VFR flight from Wellington (NZWN) to Nelson (NZNS).

The Live Weather was pretty bad with low visibility and rain, so I decided to use the “NZ Weather – Wellington Strong Northerly” preset from @zkd0s .

It was a short flight and everything went fine except when I reached the coastline of the South Island near Blenheim and the clouds prevented me to follow my planed route over higher terrain and under airspaces with a higher bottom shelf to fly under it.

I decided quickly to follow the Wairau River to be able to stay clear of the clouds and under the charlie airspace (from 3500 - 9500ft) of Woodbourne Airport.

Unfortunately, in the rush I didn’t realized that the delta airspace is from ground to 3500ft and so I flew in it unintentionally and was not cleared to do so.

Looking at the terminal building nicknamed “The Rock” while taxiing on A to RWY 34:

Holding short RWY 34 for the Sounds Air Pilatus on final:

Leaving Wellington behind via the Kelburn VFR departure route to the northwest:

Bye bye North Island:

The described detour via the Wairau River and shortly after the accidental airspace violation as you can see on the tablet:

On the way to join left downwind RWY 02 at NZNS over the Tasman Bay:

Time to turn base over the Waimea Inlet:

On final RWY 02 but a little bit slow:

Welcome to Nelson Airport:

I was invited in the tower and enjoyed the view on the apron and landscape from the tower:

Note: All pictures come directly from the VR-Headset. They are only trimmed but no post processing is added. Sometimes the edges look a bit blurry, that’s because of the Fixed Foveated Rendering option of the OpenXR Toolkit and isn’t visible in the headset.

I’m not a real pilot and all my knowledge I learned by myself, but I try my best to follow all real procedures as good as possible. So, if you have tips or found some errors in my flights or procedures please let me know so I can get better.

11 Likes