What did you do in MSFS today? (Part 2)

Yesterday I spawned 5,000 ft. above the Sahara, heading north at 280 kts about an hour before sunset. No destination.

I was working on getting the autopilot working in my Vertigo. The sun went down and I thought, “I’ll program a destination airport into the GPS and land.”

Came in on approach, only to find out it was a dirt runway with no lights. Bounced a couple of times, but the sand eventually slowed me to a stop. :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

San Diego to Santa Barbara again. Shadows up to 4096, 2048. Reflection probe at 512. Going to try higher. Keeping a TLOD 5.00 Olod 6.00 at decent enough frames for a 9900k. It hit my frame cap of 30fps at 3000ft. It was around 29fps on the runway. But its smooth.

Wow!!! The reflections!!! Smooth shadows

You can see the clouds on the plane!!

Wow!!

frames took a dip here but jumped back up. No stutters though

I still see San Diego

7 Likes

Distance flown: 2 572 NM // Travel time: 5 h 43 m

8 Likes

SCUD RUNNING IN SOUTH FLORIDA

Set out this morning from KLNA Lantana to go check out the dirt strip I’ve been working on in the SDK. ATIS reported visibility 10, clouds 1800 feet, with only a strong wind to worry about. Looking out the canopy told a little different story going on.

Since “its only a sim” (I’m only VFR licensed) I set the autopilot for 1000 feet and let it fly straight into the soup hoping for a hole near my destination. Sure enough a hole appeared and I dumped the AP and decided to set up for the nearby FD38 Wellington Aero Club airport in the hole (long asphalt instead of short dirt).

After a nasty crosswind landing that I somehow managed to keep on the runway, I back taxied and programmed the GTN 510 direct to go back home to Lantana.

The hole persisted for me to take off but looking in the direction of the route looked dark as night with frequent blinding flashes. Off to the south I could see another hole with blue sky, so south I went a “scud running”

From inside that hole, I could see Lantana under the cloud layer, so I turned toward the airport and checked ATIS for the winds. Even though there are six runway headings to choose, another strong crosswind landing was the best I could set up. I had good visibility under the clouds for a long straight in to rwy 4 and again managed to keep the ground roll on the runway with the wings level.

The #indiafoxtecho LongEZ is a bit of a challenge to land because (of the limitations of MSFS) the canard stalls just below 80kts causing a loss of elevator authority. I should be able to cut the power, and hold the nose off down to around 35-40 kts, but anything less than 80 kts will not allow lifting the nose in the descent. Luckily Lantana has long runways so I maintain the 80 kts, fly it all the way down and let it roll out the inertia, except MSFS turns crosswind ground rolls into blood pressure events.

This is the hole I came in through:

and the fireworks display I was avoiding:

#live-weather #flight-planning

8 Likes

I’ve been doing a lot of night flying on my XBX – mostly in Florida because PG looks great with HDR on. LVFR did some touchups around Miami that are included when you buy KMIA but I really don’t know how much of what I saw is default and how much is LVFR’s work. All I can say is that it looks amazing.
There are effects that I’m seeing on my XBX that I thought had been removed but now I wonder if maybe I had just disabled them on my PC. I’m seeing light glow over cities, my landing lights light up surrounding clouds, and some very dynamic lighting on the clouds. I do have banding issues with HDR on that I didn’t have on my PC – not sure whats up with that. But I have found settings I can very much live with and I’m so glad I got the XBX because the thought of trying to build a new PC right now was daunting. I could have spent three times as much on a gaming laptop and it probably would have worked fine but the XBX is really quite an amazing little device.

3 Likes

Charleston-Miami, American Airlines route

Downtown Miami in sight

on final, rwy 9

Night night

12 Likes

Wednesday flight: EasyJet A320 from Frankfurt-Hahn (EDFH) to Glasgow (EGPF)

Distance: 642 nm
Flight time: 1:38 Hours

12 Likes

Florida, South of Lake Okeechobee. Live weather treated me. :slight_smile:

I grow to love the DA40. Prefer it over the C172 G1000 now. I love the view, low wings, and some steam gauges at the top, e.g. airspeed.

15 Likes

Hop from Nellis to Edwards, by way of Yuma, Borrego, and Victorville

8 Likes

Some fun over Maui in the Bulldog autogyro! The free Maui scenery makes it even nicer, from Kapalua, Kaanapali, Kihei and Kahului all represented. It’s like a mini-vacation!

9 Likes

Demo Reel for Vision 2.0, Coupled Visual Approach at sunset into CTYZ RWY 08:

6 Likes

Did a short but nice flight with the PMDG 737-800

8 Likes

waking up, I will give a try to this one !!! I was waiting for it :heart_eyes:

after putting all my saved cash I m finally airborn ! (in fact, it isn’t that hard to start… :man_facepalming: just require 1 sec)

what I m supposed to do with that ? so many secrets in this aircraft :laughing: I will try to discover them all without opening the manual

probably will I be part of the group flight this evening

7 Likes

Regarding the fries: you can eat them :wink: … And as soon as you are on the ground, you can stock another drawer just before take off.

But the interaction areas are not obvious (due to MSFS limitations), so I’d suggest you take a look at the manual, at least for this :slight_smile:

4 Likes
4 Likes

Leaving SoFlo at sunrise headed to Marsh Harbour, Bahamas

Vancouver, after a short flight from Port Hardy

14 Likes

After the second leg from post #2738 I flew from Westport (NZWS) to Christchurch (NZCH) with Live Weather again.

I did a little detour over Lake Sumner and Lake Coleridge and enjoyed the scenery.

Departed RWY 04 and left the circuit after the left downwind to the south:

My first waypoint Lake Sumner with the Hurunui River inlet is in sight:

I flew an orbit over the smaller lakes near Lake Sumner. On the left Lake Taylor and on the right Lake Sheppard and Lake Sumner behind the ridge line:

On my way to Lake Coleridge. Chest Peak and the Waimakariri River are visible under the left wing:

Wilberforce River and the snow-covered mountains like Mt. Williams and Urquhart Peak:

Lake Coleridge:

Flying south to follow the Rakaia River leaving Lake Coleridge behind:

Following the Waimakariri River to enter the Coringa VFR Arrival at NZCH 1500ft or below:

On final RWY 02 at NZCH with required airspeed not less than 90kt IAS above 400ft AMSL:

Welcome to Christchurch. I parked the Kodiak at the Western Apron near the Canterbury Aero Club:

Note: All pictures come directly from the VR-Headset. They are only trimmed but no post processing is added. Sometimes the edges look a bit blurry, that’s because of the Fixed Foveated Rendering option of the OpenXR Toolkit and isn’t visible in the headset.

I’m not a real pilot and all my knowledge I learned by myself, but I try my best to follow all real procedures as good as possible. So, if you have tips or found some errors in my flights or procedures please let me know so I can get better.

13 Likes

Thursday flight: Air France A320 from Glasgow (EGPF) to Biarritz (LFBZ)

Distance: 842 nm
Flight time: 2:01 Hours

15 Likes

Flying with the ATR in Finland, this time Helsinki (EFHK) to EFJO (Joensuu)

12 Likes

Followed a friend’s flight from KGEG to KDFW. Easy work…

8 Likes