What did you do in MSFS today? (Part 2)

Yesterday I finished the second leg of my “delivery flight” for Fokker 28 Mk. 1000 ZS-MYD from Amsterdam all the way to Johannesburg. I’ll write that trip up when I finish the whole route.

Today I looked to fly somewhere I’d never been before, and I found that place in scenic and rugged Papua New Guinea! After perusing available textures, scenery, and timetables, I settled on Fokker 28 Mk. 1000 P2-ANF and Air Niugini’s Flight 153 from the 1979 timetable, a two-leg segment between Madang (AYMD) and Port Moresby (AYPY) via Lae (AYNZ). In '79, ANF would have been only a few months into her tenure with Air Niugini, having arrived from Transair Canada in February. Scheduled departure was 1135 with arrival at Port Moresby at 1320. The weather along the route was typical for December in PNG, with broken cumulous and scattered heavy rain showers. I elected to forego MSFS ATC as, even with recent improvements, I find it less than accurate and more trouble than it’s worth.

Thanks to foxybr for the texture, and to Mountainair for all three upgraded airports. All are available at flightsim.to.

Here’s ANF standing at Madang, the capital of Madang Province and the largest city on PNG’s north coast. Air Niugini began operations in November 1973 as the national flag carrier. In that first year, the airline’s four Fokker 27s and twelve DC-3s carried 350,000 passengers, 85,000 more than forecast. Since then, Air Niugini has operated various types from the A300 to the 737 and the Dash 8, but as a child of the 1980s, it’s the Fokker 28s with the bird of paradise on the tail that I associate with this fine little carrier!

Lae, PNG’s second largest city and industrial center, lies at the mouth of the Markham River on the country’s east coast. Following airway H401 from Madang requires a rapid descent once past the central range of the New Guinea Highlands. Thanks to a convenient cloud clearing, I was able to maneuver overhead and south of the field and fly a visual approach to Runway 27. Here I am appreciating the Fokker’s brilliant speedbrake!

Planning a multi-segment flight like this is complicated, especially since I planned on fueling for the entire route at Madang. I turned to the actual F28 manual, crunched the numbers, and elected to use the high-speed, short-range profile: 320 knots/0.725 Mach during climb, cruise at 17,000 feet, and descent. I ended up under-burning on the first leg, but was still under maximum landing weight when I arrived at Lae two minutes ahead of schedule.

After filling the remaining seats, I departed to the west and turned around to rejoin H401 toward Port Moresby. The VORs in PNG are terminal class with a range of only approximately 40 nautical miles. Although I was able to navigate using dead reckoning and pilotage, I’ll finally admit defeat and begin using the GNS from now on!

Port Moresby was reporting low visibility in heavy rain as I started descending, so I sat the passengers and flight attendants early and planned for the ILS approach to Runway 32R. It’s a commonly known aviation fact that airports, and especially final approach fixes, somehow create thunderstorms! I self-vectored to a 15-mile base leg, avoiding the worst of the buildups along the way.

Luckily the rain moved off the field be the time I joined final. Having never tried it, I allowed the autopilot to continue flying the approach. Most autopilots fly like brand new instrument pilots, but besides a little porpoising after glideslope intercept, I wasn’t too put off by this one’s performance!

That’s Lolotoa Island and its beautiful 4-star resort underneath ANF, with Tubusereia and its offshore “stilt village” above the stabilizer.

Thanks for flying with Air Niugini today! (Or “New Jenny” as MSFS pronounces it. I have to find a spelling that works!) I arrived at the gate two minutes ahead of schedule again, pretty descent considering I had to fly nearly 30 air miles past the airport to join the ILS. ANF will be back out again to Madang shortly, but I’m heading out for a late lunch!

Air Niugini’s old paint scheme is based on the country’s flag. The colors are traditional to the native population and mimic the colors of the flag of Germany, the first European county to colonize PNG. The Southern Cross constellation is accompanied by a bird of paradise.

A tale of two tails! Air Niugini’s newest livery, seen in the background on 737-800 P2-PXC, introduced another stylized bird of paradise and softened the color pallette. It’s almost Eurowhite and too plane for my taste, but what do I know? :smirk:

This was a fun outing in a beautiful part of the world! I’m pretty sure I’ll be back again…this time in a suitable bush plane! :wave:

7 Likes

If you need more f28 routes US Air operated the Fokker 28 out of Pittsburgh after their merger with Allegheny airlines with their awesome fleet too bad no one’s doing a Mohawk 298 to fly more Allegheny Airlines routes

1 Like

I actually had to look that one up…

looks kinda like the Short 360’s prettier cousin :laughing:

2 Likes

First snowy flight (well on the ground anyway), Dornbirn to Innsbruck in my continuing ‘Sim-plane-I’ve-not-yet-flown-since-I-started-three-years-ago’ series. DV-20 proved a slow climber, maybe the weather, but I circled a bit to get over the mountains.

10 Likes

Today I helped Santa… :rofl:

12 Likes

You should have just given him this:

4 Likes

Picked up the Ant’s Airplanes Winjeel, and wow, just wow. Where do I even begin? Well, how about in Darwin, Australia?

Super nice handling characteristics, and different modes of difficulty for operation (I’ll move up from “easy” later, I promise).

You can keep the canopy open if you like the virtual wind in your hair (and if you ignore the placard instructing you to lock the canopy and keep it closed during flight). Great fun doing touch and go’s at nearby Emkaytee, I especially liked the ground handling upon takeoff and landing, very good feeling.

Winjeel offers 9 cylinders, for your propelling pleasure.

All in all a really superb offering from Ant’s Airplanes, I will be spending lots of quality time in this plane. She offers a superb vibe, really natural and fun handling characteristics like her cousin the Tiger Moth. Kicked off one of the most incredible spins I’ve ever experienced in a sim. Absolutely amazing sound effects. Welp, back to down under. Cheers!!

7 Likes

I gave a nice wash to the Vision Jet from Innsbruck (LOWI) to Salzburg (LOWS):

I might have activated approach mode too late and the plane did not capture the glideslope, I realised it too late and needed a pretty steep dive to compensate. But in the end I managed to put her down quite allright.

Full video later here:

6 Likes

an impromptu group flight just for the hell of it

10 Likes

Had a nice and steady approach into Sumburgh but suddenly the ILS went all over the place…

-Bram
SkyLane

9 Likes

Just tweaked my VR settings to get a silky smooth simulator.

1 Like

The Cub X is a nice GA sightseer/commuter. Another craft in my ‘Sim-plane-I’ve-not-yet-flown-since-I-started-three-years-ago’ series. This is actually a redo as the day before I flew it in monster rain and overcast, so not much to see of Paris. This was just a quick loop from Toussus-le-Noble to Le Bourget and back again.

11 Likes

Eurowings A320-214 D-ABDT from Sylt (EDXW) to Ljubljana (LJLJ)

11 Likes

Leaving Peru (SPTN)

8 Likes

Nice livery: which one is it? I can’t find it on Flightsim.to :thinking:

Two flights today, again in the Fokker 28 (nope, not tired of her yet :heart_eyes:). I’ll preface this tale by saying that these flights have the potential to ignite arguments, so let’s all agree to keep politics out of my sightseeing. Thanks! :+1:

I downloaded three scenery packs from flightsim.to: Argentina Airports Pack by Brainshot, Ushuaia airport by Ckah991, and Port Stanley airport by SuperSpud. While I was there, I grabbed the fantastic low-visibility FAA F-28C repaints by DelPlataDesign, although I didn’t end up using them today.

Instead I loaded up F-28-1000 T-50, one of the aircraft included in the Just Flight package, and headed for Ushuaia, the capital of Argentina’s Tierra del Fuego and the southernmost city in the world. All around this beautiful airport, majestic snowcapped peaks overlook deep, narrow waterways. I had no idea scenery like this existed outside Austria, Alaska, or possibly Norway!

Our mission today is to transport environmental and wildlife researchers and their equipment from Ushuaia to Port Stanley. Flight time will be approximately 90 minutes. While F-28s flew into Port Stanley before the war, the runway there has decayed considerably since then, and it’s PCN limit is now unsuitable for sustained operations by the Fokker. Thankfully, with some greasing of wheels and exchanging of appropriately alcoholic “gift baskets,” we received permission to land at Stanley, as long as our weight is limitied to 55,000 pounds (25,000 kilograms), we remain on the strengthened pavement portions only and do not execute any “locked wheel” turns. (The fact that the runway is barely 2,400 feet/1,100 meters long and 60 feet/18 meters wide may be the least of my worries!)

(Blimey! The weather moved in while I was sitting here talking! We’d better go :smirk:)

T-50 (msn 11048) first flew in March 1972 and spent a few years as the Fairchild demonstrator in North America before starting her working life in 1974 with Aviateca and Aerolineas Argentinas. She was purchased by the Argentine government in 1977 and eventually joined the FAA in the mid-2000s. She’s retired now, but still flies in MSFS!

I flew this flight with ATC, and it worked much better than before. The weather over the Falklands/Malvinas was supposed to be mostly clear, but as I approached West Falkland at FL310, an overcast layer obscured much of the archipelago. Worse, a greater-than-expected tailwind meant I would arrive at Stanley significantly overweight. I elected to descend early and do some sightseeing around the island. (This was really the whole purpose of this flight. Bear with me :wink:)

I broke out a few thousand feet over the waters of Falkland Sound, the waterway separating the two major landmasses that form the Falklands/Malvinas. Seeing “Bomb Alley” ahead was like seeing the battlegrounds of Gettysburg or the Normandy beachheads. West Falkland is on the left, with East Falkland, Goose Green, and San Carlos ahead.

3,500 feet over Goose Green, turning north. The turf airfield from which Argentine Pucaras operated is visible behind T-50 betwen the two roadways. Elements of British 2 Para assaulted the town from the left on May 28, 1982. After a night of terrible fighting, the Argentine garrison surrendered. The grave of Lt. Col. Herbert Jones, commander of 2 Para and posthumous recipient of the Victoria Cross, is unfortunately just out of the bottom of the frame, but is visible in the sim. Also, if you want to read about an outstanding platoon leader, look up Lt. Roberto Estevez, who was posthumously awarded the La Nación Argentina Al Heroico Valor En Combate (Argentine Nation to the Heroic Valour in Combat Cross) after bravely leading his troops here.

North of Goose Green, overhead the Cementerio de Darwin (Darwin Cemetary) in which 236 Argentine soldiers rest. You can read more about it at Wikipedia. The 2 Para memorial is on the opposite shore, out of view to the left, and is unfortunately barely discernable in the sim.

Here we’re approaching San Carlos from the southeast. This is where the British fleet landed elements of the Royal Army and Marines, and fought a pitched battle with the Fuerza Aérea Argentina (FAA - Argentine Air Force) and Comando de la Aviación Naval Argentina (COAN - Argentine Naval Aviation Command), the first sustained combat between ships and aircraft since World War II. San Carlos lies across the low ridgeline at right. To our left is Grantham Sound, where HMS Ardent was sunk by FAA and COAN Skyhawks on May 22. The fleet would have been moored in Falkland Sound ahead, outside of San Carlos, with aircraft attacking from over the hills along West Falkland’s eastern shore, visible in the distance. HMS Ardent and Antelope, and numerous FAA, COAN, and Royal Army aircraft were lost here.

Overhead Port San Carlos where the British landed in late May 1982, and nearby where FAA Lieutenant Owen Crippa single-handedly attacked the arriving British fleet in his Aermacchi MB.339 combat trainer. Nobody can possibly say the Argentine pilots weren’t equally capable and brave! There’s a brief account with an excellent painting of the moment at maritimeprints.com.

(Edit: I had a photo of Fitzroy and Bluff Cove here before, with a discussion of the attack on RFAs Sir Tristram and Sir Galahad. Unfortunately, I realized afterwards that my photo was of the incorrect location. I’ll try and fix it another time. Sorry for the confusion! :flushed:)

Having now burned enough fuel to land at Stanley (while keeping enough to reach my alternate at Rio Grande), we’ve turned to the east to join the downwind leg to Runway 27. Port Stanley is in the distance above T-50 near the long sandy strip in the top right of the photo. The ruggged hills to the left are where the Argentine forces made their last stand against the approaching British, where the names Harriet, Longdon, and Tumbledown became notorious, and where the Gurkhas, Scots, and 3 Para rose to fame.

On short final to Runway 27 at Stanley. The original runway has been narrowed and shortened…significantly! This is the exact type of work for which the F-28 was designed. Getting in shouldn’t be a problem. Getting back out? Well, that’s another story (literally)!

Unloading at Stanley’s small terminal. Detailed information covering foreign airspace and airports, including operational information, limitations, and instrument approach charts, is usually available in the appropriate nation’s Aeronautical Information Publication (AIP), which can be located via Google Search. Here’s the links to Argentina and the Falklands/Malvinas for anyone who’s interested! If you need help deciphering any information, feel free to PM me! :blush:

Falkland Islands Government Air Service (FIGAS) is the major (only?) commercial passenger carrier in the Falklands/Malvinas. The airline began operations in 1948 with two Austers, and has operated Norsemen, Beavers, Islanders, and even a former Argentinian UH-1! You can read about this fascinating and vital airline at their website. Before the war, Argentine government-owned Líneas Aéreas del Estado (State Air Line) flew F-27s and F-28s between Stanley and the Argentine mainland.

In the distance is Stanley, the capital of the Falklands/Malvinas. Just offshore from the airport in Whalebone Cove lies the wreck of Lady Elizabeth, a merchant tall ship that broke her moorings and ran aground back in 1936, and from which SAS teams monitored the airfield and town during the war. SuperSpud included many great details in his scenery!

The gusting crosswind and narrow, short runway made this one of my most challenging landings ever. The Just Flight F-28 flies both well and realistically, making crosswind landings that much easier.

Well, this post is too long, so I’ll save the return flight for tomorrow. Thanks for sticking with me until the end. Hopefully you found this diatribe interesting and educational. There’s many good Internet sites that cover the Falklands War/Guerra de las Malvinas, both from the British and Argentinian viewpoints.
I encourage you to read both sides. Anyway, that’s all for now. Good night! :love_you_gesture:

11 Likes

An On-Air flight from KDFW to KSTL

6 Likes

Default livery

1 Like

5 Likes

Enjoying a moment of clarity today, realising just how far the sim and simming experience has come for me since the initial release of MSFS in August 2020. It happened whilst on descent in the SWS PC-12 in SU14 with the smooth performance, the updated lighting palette at dusk, realistic real world weather turbulence off the mountains coupled with the PMS50 GTN750 navigation… just sublime :ok_hand:

8 Likes