What did you do in MSFS today? (Part 2)

Flew from TJSJ to KFLL in the PMDG 737 700 as Southwest Airlines

2 Likes

Had a CTD right after getting cleared to land in Dublin.

After a short break I decided to make a flight from Split Kastela (LDSP) to Innsbruck (LOWI), which ended up only halfway controlled by ATC, but still was fun. In the original ATIS based on which I mad my flight plan I expected to land runway 08, but as I was about to wrestle my way around the route loops which happen all too often with the G3000, an airplane reported on Unicom it is takiing off runway 26 and another one reported its intentions to land on 26, so I decided not th arrive heads on, so instead I got into the line.

This time I manged to start recording in the beginning, so once uploaded and processed, a full video will be available here:

3 Likes

Gorgeous screenshots! You are really giving the HondaJet a workout! Do the virtual air traffic people get mad if you ask them to repeat? I was thinking about trying it for practice, but I’m shy!

2 Likes

So far I have met only one kind of controller, the very very helpful kind :slight_smile: I still fly with “Vatsim newbie” in the remarks and I AM indeed one. I find myself in new situations almost every single flight, but not once was any of them arrogant, or even impatient. One guy even sent me tips in private, like when to ask for what.

3 Likes

Took the Vision Jet for a ride from Des Moines (KDSM) to Saint Louis (KSTL)

I guess there is a reason why the auto pilot shouldn’t be left without supervision, I got off from the computer for a few seconds while VNAV and NAV was doing the arrival just fine, then suddenly the autopilot decided to turn the plane upside down and pull on the stick, which of course overstressed the airframe and got a black screen of game over. Had to restart the arrival, hence that spike in the route…

5 Likes

Ouch! Unexpected autopilot behavior! Gorgeous shots on that flight, I really dig that “shuttle” livery on the Vision Jet.

1 Like

Indeed, I’d really like to see that livery on the HondaJet and the Albatros too, possibly even on the DA62 :smiley:

1 Like

I tried to take the Vision Jet from Catalina (KAVX) to Big Bear (L35), but three seconds before touchdown my cat jumped on the power button long enough to shut down the computer. :wink:

2 Likes

It’s snizzeling (snow drizzling) outside, but in the sim, it’s a balmy 81F and I’m headed down to Turks-Caicos!

6 Likes

A brief summary of the last couple of days:

LHBP EGHI
EGHI BIKF
EGHI BIKF
KORF CYQB
BIKF FLKK
LDDU LEBL
MKJS TFFR
TAPA TTPP
TTPP TNCA
SYCJ LIRF
SCEL SBPA
FACT LIRF

3 Likes

Completed Day 1 Leg 1 of a NatGeo inspired World Tour.

Washington DC (KDCA) to Lima (SPJC).

Ground Power needed to enter the long flight plan into the flight management computer.

Several aircraft queued up this early in the morning (5AM)

Looks like we are a little to close to that Delta flight.

Finally over Peru.

A bit of a hard landing (-212 fpm) but we made it in safely. But I still logged a note for maintenance. We got a trans pacific flight planned tomorrow. Can’t have any issues on that leg.

5 Likes

Tuesday flight: EasyJet A320 from Shannon (EINN) to Luxemburg (ELLX)

9 Likes

I had a really satisfying and yet terrifying flight to end the day: Saint Louis (KSTL) to Armstrong New Orleans (KMSY)

It was satisfying because I hat ATC for most of the flight and the guy acting as Houson control awe inspiring. He managed a constant stream of clearances, taxi and approach duties as well as doing his own job as control. I salute you!

And it was terrifying because as soon as I lifted off the runway at St Louis I started to have terrible stutters. Assuming it was some windows update downloading in the bacground or something I went on with the flight hoping it will end by the time I’m on approach. Of course it did not, I had to land with stutters as bad as 1fps, or even land. Miraculously I managed to put the HondaJet down without the game deciding I broke it. I parked, quit the game, restarted the computer, restarted MSFS and realised it was some MSFS update :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I quite often wish I had the money to buy better hardware, but I doubt the latest gamer CPU/GPU could withstand the game trying to change itself while running…

Once the update was complete I did a test flight at Telluride (KTEX) and it seemed normal.

4 Likes

Checking out the newly updated TBM, from Aspen to Denver.

Then, one last flight in the (terrible) Bell 407 before I pick up the 206 from Cowan Simulation in the morning. Denver to Centennial.

8 Likes

Flown UK

8 Likes

Took the Albatros further down in Mexico from Oaxaca (MMOX) to Teran (MMTB) navigating on VOR to VOR

Also I flew from Innsbruck (LOWI) to Graz (LOWG)

I was too quick to say last night that the stutters were temporary, it was back during the whole Austrian flight. Tried turning off photogrammetry and tweaking terrain level of detail, but neither helped :frowning_face:

8 Likes

Yesterday afternoon I redid my aborted flight from Catalina to Big Bear after figuring out how to protect my power button from the cats. :wink: Got some lovely sunset lighting!

The Vision jet climbs very nicely compared to a little old Cessna. :wink: Hopping over Orange County (and the KSNA and KLAX airspaces) at 10,500 ft; the old WWII-era blimp hangars at former MCAS Tustin are visible at center bottom:

The ‘Uluru’ livery is really pretty from this angle, looks like a bird. :slight_smile:

Approaching sunset as we approach the mountains. Somewhere over Riverside County, with Orange County and the Pacific Ocean behind us.

Coming in over Big Bear Lake towards L35…

And parked before nightfall. :smiley:

13 Likes

Gorgeous shots on those trips! The in-terminal one gives it such an air-travelly vibe. Also your use of the real liveries for AI traffic really makes a difference.

3 Likes

This is Bleriot’s mission of Calais to Dover. These latter two Bleriot’s fly half the speed of the Gnome I flew across in last week and a much more difficult to fly. Very difficult to keep any kind of a course. It is almost a war trying to hold a course, constant constant corrections, +/- 10 degrees at times. The rudder controls the direction. I can imagine Bleriot’s delight when he saw the white cliffs of Dover, 10-15 minutes of nothing but sea and the dread of flying up the North Sea having been slowly blown off course.

The first thing I thought of after the delight of seeing the white cliffs was where can I dump the plane…give me a nice green field - anywhere near!

The plane is rolling a lot of the time so landing is probably the most dangerous time.

Farewell Bleriot, I’m in the Curtiss Jenny next.

**It would appear, that in reality, Bleriot flew the ‘Anzani’ over the channel. This had a top speed of about 28-29 knots making it very susceptible to wind (lawnmower engine!). Chavez flew over the Alps in the ‘Gnome’ variant with an engine twice as powerful, top speed about 50 knots….so he could get some altitude. The engine was overpowered for the airframe and probably caused the disintegration of the aircraft on landing, killing him.

14 Likes

Day 2 Leg 2 of the NatGeo World Tour. Lima (SPJC) to Easter Island (SCIP).

Climbing out of Lima.

Nothing much out here over the pacific.

It’s so lush and green here on Easter Island. Winds were not a factor on the landing as anticipated.

This 787 is getting ready for the long haul back to the South American mainland.

10 Likes