What’s your “that’s it, I’m done with this plane” experience?

Will probably try to think of a few more long winded examples when I’m not on mobile, but the general spirit of this question is: have you gotten intimately familiar with any type of aircraft in MSFS, learned it and loved it, and had any type of experience that made you decide to never load it up again?

Could be the release of a higher fidelity plane of a similar type, could be a frustrating series of CTD experiences, maybe your ex just got their type rating on this plane and you’ve vowed to never flip the battery switch on one of these ever again.

What planes did you used to love flying and decide one day it would remain in your hangar indefinitely?

2 Likes

The stock PC6, when the Milviz PC6 was released.

8 Likes

The Flysimware G44a Widgeon. I thought it was a cute little sibling of the Goose, which I loved, so I bought the model, bought it in FSEconomy, and ferried it across the US. The model quality is really lacking to the point it really bothered me, and I had such a hard time getting the mixture leaning done because they were behind my point of view and I only had an entry level peripheral with just a throttle axis. It also suffered in performance around the Great Plains to the point it can’t even take off from Laramie due to altitude.

At some point, after dragging it to Alaska where I wanted to fly it, after 50 hours of flying, I was just like…man, screw this, I have other planes I can fly with my time that look much better and fly just as well. I also finally got the Goose in FSE, and the model for that is way prettier and feels better to fly, so the Widgeon is now mothballed indefinitely.

(also for any FSE-ers out there, buy my widgeon please, it’s at a good price! it’s not a bad plane, just not my thing)

5 Likes

Love this reply. Exactly what I’m after!

1 Like

numerous aicraft that are not on top standard graphically.
I don’t touch aircraft anymore that are below the visual fidelity that Asobo, Microsoft or Carenado provide.

other than that, faulty autopilots or incomplete autopilots make me put an aicraft in the hangar. Usually not forever though.

4 Likes

Probably once I grabbed the Tomcats after having flown the Bredok Eurofighter, my standards went up like crazy, will never touch that other thing again or buy anything I suspect will be like that.

I had a similar experience with the Widgeon to, once I got the BR Goose, baby got put in the corner. It’s a real shame it’s not even in the same ball park as their 414, incredible job and hard to believe it’s from the same developer.

With the direction some devs are going, I suspect many planes are going to be made obsolete. The standards we are reaching will make it impossible to make us wanna return to something that hasn’t kept up with the times, fidelity, system and feature wise.

2 Likes

That drone thing that’s included in the sim. It’s just so incredibly boring to fly that I’d rather turn the sim off and stare at a black screen for two hours.

11 Likes

Interesting that several people mention the widgeon.
It’s on of those hangared for me as well.

I looked at the textures with a graphic program and i.e. the 2D Image of the Garmin has shadows in it, so of course the thing looks completely weird in the cockpit. Shadows should be made by the game according to the light reflecting on 3D objects.

It’s really a FS2004 visual experience.

Shame though, as the aircraft flies very well.

They would need to make a completely new 3D model for it to be fitting for MSFS nowadays. I have my doubts this will ever happen.

2 Likes

Weird reply, Milviz Pc6 was released BEFORE asobo’s one

9 Likes

Being unable to see over the dashboard and bouncing and face planting on landing when flying a tail dragger… Not for me!!!

4 Likes

I haven’t had this exact experience, but it came close with the CJ4 after they forced the AAU1 update on us and offered basically no transitional help to casual fliers that weren’t interested in the WT version in the first place. All we got was a complex manual that made me feel like I needed to go to a real ground school just to begin to understand it. It was only due to another member here willing to dumb things down for me that I was able to learn and keep flying it.

3 Likes

I abandomned several planes when I found out that the keybindings dont work for them or are simply not there.

4 Likes

Fenix A320 because of no copilot, which I have handle comms. and near undeciphrable FMS.
Aerosoft CRJ because of tiny instruments–had to fly with them popped out in order to see.

3 Likes

This is me with the ATR right now.

4 Likes

I’m pretty close to making the same call, unfortunately.

2 Likes

The BRSim Ipanema. I really, really wanted to love it. But even after half a dozen updates, I can’t fly it without getting almost immediately annoyed. For the first few updates it was that you couldn’t NOT overspeed it. A trend with other BRSim aircraft, actually, including their latest which was impossible to keep from rolling without the parking brake until they updated it. But overall, it’s just the flight model which doesn’t feel believable at all. After I think 7 updates, I finally realized that the Ipanema will ever be an addon I enjoy, and it’s been relinquished to the scrap yard (uninstalled.)

1 Like

reading answers by Mathis Kok here and in the Aerosoft forums to criticism on the shortcomings of the Twotter.
Done with the Twotter (and done with Aerosoft)

10 Likes

Yeah, it really is a shame. I do agree it flies really well and the systems depth is there for folks who want it (hydraulic simulation is great). Just…it’s such a competitive field nowadays with so many super high quality addons we could only have dreamed of in the FSX days, and there only are so many hours we can spend flying (saying as someone who has quite a good amount of sim time).

2 Likes

I heard that it has that issue. Thats why I didnt buy it (and wont buy any other plane unless there is a demo or a trial version).

2 Likes

For me it was the engine sounds of the Wing 42 Boeing 247D. They are so low bitrate and are clipping so much that they ruined my enjoyment of the aircraft. I have over 70 aircraft in my hangar, but that one has the worst engine sounds.

I want to give that bird another chance at some point but I got to look into the possibilty of swapping out the sounds.

1 Like