Which is the better Pilot2ATC or PF3 for MSFS 2020?

Checked timing…15 mins…it works with X Plane 11…just not MSFS…
Appreciate your help.

I was looking into Pilot2ATC for a while now. Need your help guys. I’m only flying C172 G1000. I’m doing world tour visiting every capital city. I’m trying to do short flights and usually using small airports. I have navigraph sub (not sure if I keep it) and fly SIDS and STARS where possible. MSFS ATC is rubbish at handling slow and low C172 on SIDS and STARS. I’m not sure how Pilot2ATC handling it. I also should mention that I’m only using 1 monitor. Do you think its worth it?

Never used P2A with smaller plains like the C712 (I fly mainly CJ4), but I’m sure it’ll handle it just fine (you configure the avg ascend/descend rate, ground speed etc). The best part is - just try it out and see for yourself, P2A has a fully functional 10 day trial.

For me personally, P2A is light years better than the built-in MSFS, especially if you fly IFR with procedures. I am not doing any flights without P2A any more.

2 Likes

I started using P2A a few weeks ago and cannot ever see myself going back to default. Adds a ton of immersion and there are voicepacks to take care of the default robotic voices. I wish I would have used it years ago.

1 Like

What you guys said. There is absolutely no way to go back to the default ATC once you’ve tried Pilot2ATC or VATSIM online (or similar). The default ATC isn’t even an improvement over the original ATC of FSX which was developed 15+ years ago. Only the voices are better but that’s the end of it.

I’m usually flying in VATSIM, most of the time in uncontrolled airspace but even so I’d rather have no ATC at all rather than the murderous inconsistent in-game ATC.

2 Likes

Can you get Polly to work consistently? It seems to be hit or miss for me as it will work fine some days and will not work on others. Best voices in my opinion though when they work!

I have used both PF3 and Pilot2ATC, and I use Pilot2ATC now with MSFS2920. Pilot2atc works very well with the sim, and does what I would expect it to do, without much fuss o my part. It handles communication very well, has a good speech recognition ability, and with free added voices, makes the experience a pleasant one. I must say, Pilot2ATC works technically much better than PF3, I believe, because I had problems with PF3 recognizing my requests, and I basically gave up trying to figure it out.
You can try out Pilot2ATC for two weeks for free, then decide for yourself.

1 Like

I noticed the us English and uk English work best. Sometimes P2ATC doesn’t work, but after 2 or 3 restarts it works. Always starting in admin to be sure.
Sometimes ‘waking’ the voices and the API workers by opening Polly Player and sending a message to the voices you’re going to use

Thanks for the tip! Just to confirm, are you only using the standard voices?

Yes! Main reason is the neural and conversational voices will bring bigger costs eventually. Right now I only have (I believe) Matthew (UK English - Conversational) assigned as copilot because I like his calm voice when talking to atc during flight :slight_smile:

If you install more (english) language speech packs to Windows you will have more voices with P2A and if you add a free vst plugin (like Vinyl) you can add a (kinda) radio effect to them which makes it an even better option to replace the standard AI (for now)

Few more question guys. Does Pilot2ATC automatically assign active runway or do you have to select it preflight? How big is ATC window. Is it roughly the size of MSFS ATC window? I only have one monitor. Thanks for your help.

Runway selection is configurable. You can have P2ATC assign it based on winds, preferred runway or based on your selection.

The Pilot2ATC window is configurable and I believe you can have it minimized. I just bought a $95 Amazon Fire 10 HD tablet and use Spacedesk to use it as a second screen. I strictly use that for Pilot2ATC and it fits the screen perfectly.

Really enjoying P2ATC.

1 Like

Thank you for very useful info guys. Really appreciated it.

Yeah of course! Glad to help out. Take advantage of Pilot2ATC’s free 10 day trial. From what I have seen and read on other forums, their tech support is really good if you were to ever need it.

That’s actually very useful advice, I was searching for a cheap 10" tablet to use as a separate screen where I can display stuff such as Vpilot, Pilot2ATC, Little Navmap and generally everything that I have to switch back and forth between MSFS and the external apps. But I hadn’t thought of Amazon Fire which is priced ridiculously low for what it offers. I’m off to order one asap.

Yeah, the Fire 10 HD works perfectly. Just remember to go to your display settings in Windows and adjust the screen resolution on the Fire. Mine defaulted to 1024 x 768 I believe.

1 Like

Does P2ATC do a good job at assigning a runway based on wind. I wonder does it take in consideration the wind from sim or world map as it seems there is a difference between them.
I’m aware of free trail, but I want to get as much info as possible before I try it out. I always fly with my brother (not in MP, we both in SP fly the same time and chat on discord) so it’s difficult to find the time when we both can do it. So I’m gathering all the info to see if P2ATC worth it so we both can set it up and try it out in our limited time. So far it looks like it’s a nice addon.

P2A is quite configurable. You can select for P2A to chose your runways and SIDS/STARS for you based off of what weather source you are using (MS Weather, REX, Active Sky, NOAA, etc.). You can also force P2A to use whichever runway or SID/STAR you have in your flight plan.

See attached pictures below!

1 Like