Who wants a Zeppelin?

No there were many Zeppelins. Zeppelin is the name of the inventor. There were more than one.

A blimp and a Zeppelin are very different.

You can have a blimp or a zeppelin using hydrogen or helium.

And the ‘original’ Zeppelin was Z-1 built in 1900

Anyway, Redwing are making the LZ 129 Hindenburg. On their discord they’ve posted some WIP pics. Here’s 3 of them

3 Likes

Zeppelin airships are known as ‘rigid’ types because the shape of their hull was kept from a complex grid structure that contained the gas cells, typically inflated with hydrogen

Count Zeppelin was indeed the inventor and founded the firm in Friedrichshafen on Constance Lake that build 130 rigid airship types from 1900 to 1938

The designer of the very first one, the LZ-1, was Dr. Theodor Kober, assisted by the young Dr. Ing. Ludwig Durr that designed and perfected the rigid type from the LZ-2 until the last model

Another notable type was the semi-rigid, invented by italian aviation pioneer Arturo Crocco and perfected by Gen. Umberto Nobile that explored the Arctic regions onboard the Norge and ill-fated Italia

1 Like

Awesome, although the main hull looks wired. It is missing the flat aluminum-like color and all the glued on covers over the tied fastenings.
Well WIP I guess :grin:

Some sneak peaks from my current project, the LZ130 GZ2 - textures are as yet not done as I want to get the models right first

Now the question is if MSFS 24 balloon physics can be applied to these gas cells :heart_eyes:

Either way, I am progressing nicely as of recent

I have a few surprises to come :wink:

11 Likes

Really awesome! Thank you for sharing! Having myself a long-time interest in Zeppelin airships now I will impatiently wait for your release of this beauty :smile:

By the way, I have several books on Zeppelins at home, should you need some information or photography detail I would gladly look for that

Out fo curiosity, I always thought the information on LZ130 Graf Zeppelin II is rather sparse, are you going to model the LZ130 details interiors with reference to the much more documented LZ129 Hindemburg ?

Cheers

Okay but i want to be able to launch single engine fighters from it…

1 Like

A modern day Crimson Skies would be awesome, but they did also have flying aircraft carriers IRL:

4 Likes

Most people don’t know CS started as a TTRPG. I don’t even want a remake of the originals we need Crimson Skies 3.

Can you imagine Nathan James going legit before being called back to the wonderful life or air piracy? Yknow like Rambo: He keep tryna give up the life but the life keeps coming back triggering Rambo’s PTSD…

2 Likes

Definately! Big zeps are a must in the golden age of air travel! They were the ocean liners of the skies. Talk about managing something that’s lighter than air with that much wind resistance battle all types of winds yet managing to stay on course would most definately be a challenge - let alone getting near the morning mast.

Bring on the LZ-129, the Graf Zeppelin II and the Graf herself! The morning areas at least could have period dress people and vehicles to add to the immersion. Weather would be extremely important during those trips!

mooring mast

Like in the movie UP ?

close

Concerning lighter than air vehicles…the really BIG stuff, not these little balloons currently available but the once proud zeppelins of the skies such as the Graf Zeppelin, Hindenburg, Graf Zeppelin II…has anyone heard any further word on the one that was being developed for MSFS via third party? My searches came up zilch - which might be my answer I suppose.

I always found the airships very fascinating. They ran in an age before commercial airliners became the norm - sort of the passenger liners of the sky. Always thought it would be a challenge to pull off the routes they ran successfully in all kinds of weather to Europe, America and South America.

2 Likes

Hello @BornToBattle100,
There is also a wish on blimps if you wish to contribute:

You are in luck. Red Wing, the people who created the Constellation and the 1935 modifications amongst others is closing in on the Hindenburg

3 Likes

As far as I know the same guy/team that introduced the L-1049 to MSFS is also working on a Zeppelin. That is a rigid airship not a blimp or baloon :smiley:
No idea exactly on how far along this is at this stage.

1 Like

Yeah that’s Red Wing mentioned above and in the thread I also linked.

Literally scroll up

I have been working on the Hindenburg class for a while now

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/flight-model-bending-the-graf-zeppelin-ii.451872/page-6

1 Like

Sorry I missed that post. Did not mean to steal your credits.