Why FS2020 replay feature is not active on Xbox

Does Asobo intend to take a step in this regard? Xbox users should also take advantage of the replay feature as in the PC version.

2 Likes

The replay mode is still in development (some would say it’s in a beta) so it’s still being worked on. Therefore that is why it’s probably not on Xbox.

You can contribute here: Wishlist for features of built-in replay functionality

2 Likes

Didn’t Mathias mentioned during the last Live Dev Q/A that it’s a limitation of the console hardware/memory ?

Martial mentioned here in the March 2023 Q&A (Developer Stream):
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/march-2023-developer-stream/584333#currently-we-have-the-replay-beta-functionality-on-pc-what-technical-details-are-holding-it-back-to-say-be-on-xbox-for-xbox-users-to-try-42

6 Likes

There are reasons xboxs cost a fraction of similar specced PC’s, a lack of such versatility is just one of them.

3 Likes

But you can record a HD 1080 video for 30 Secs or a 4 minute SD 720 video which I do on a regular basis and watch that, so what’s the difference?

The difference is with replay it is not a screen grab of the last 30 seconds… it is a new rendering that you can capture other camera positions from. For instance you can land the plane in pilot view… then go back and capture a video of your landing from the ground.

2 Likes

Yeah mate, I totally understand how the replay function works, I was questioning the statement above from the developers.

The dev is telling you that your Xbox’s shared memory just isn’t big enough to make it work, surely being limited to only 30 second’s of simple 2D video should tell you that much?

1 Like

The Xbox replay feature is active in some a320 missions on the marketplace. It works quite successfully. So how can this happen?

I would think those missions are heavily sandboxed with just enough spare vram for a rudimentary replay feature (can you pan etc. or is it just fixed angles?). Also it would be interesting to see what happens when you fly the aircraft off the map etc. I don’t have xbox so can’t really test this.

Edit … having now actually watched the video it seems to work ok on his presumably series X although he does mention turning off traffic etc. to keep memory usage to a minimum. I’m not sure Asobo/MS would be too happy with such limitations especially if the S can’t manage it but it does seem to leave some room for a dedicated 3rd party app if it can get approval.

While that will work if you set it up precisely it is a just a screen recording.

It is not a true flight-state recording. The best example of such a thing is in X-Plane 11 & 12. If theres a feature MSFS needs to copy from XP - its that one.

With a true in-game recorder you can replay your flight and do things like watch your landing from the tower, runway edge, pax wing view, overhead, spotter-plane, cockpit, pretty much anywhere you want. The XP system features a simple timeline and you can drag the slider anywhere - all the way back to start of your flight if you desire.

The tragedy (!) of so many of us doing great approaches and landings in amazing-looking MSFS and the game has no baked-in replay!

2 Likes

No need to copy from XP if you realize this was a feature of MSFS as far back as 25 years ago.

1 Like

True, good memories of doing that in FSX & FS9!

What I like about XP is YouTube-style timeline. In FSX you had to type in the mins to replay. XP allows you to drag the marker anywhere from flight start-finish. It is this feature that would be nice to have in MSFS. Even if they design it to capture just the last 15mins.

^^^^^
This…
There are a lot of issues already with folks using 3rd party planes + sceneries causing things like avionics screens to shut down precisely because of this lack of memory on the console. And like you said in another post, there’s a reason the Xbox costs a fraction of what a PC does. Asobo are doing everything they can to fit the sim into that limited memory footprint. But there’s only so much that they can do with what they have to work with.

I understand that people love their consoles, and in no way am I putting them down. But people are expecting PC levels of features in a console. Realistically, that’s not going to happen with the current generation of hardware. You can’t buy a budget car and expect it to have the same level of features and performance as a Bentley. If you want the complete experience, you need the hardware to run it.

Has anybody here tried the flight control replay third party add on for Xbox controller? I just want to know if it works well before getting it.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.