Will MFS PC version from now be bottlenecked by the Console?

it’s obvious the market needs two different versions

• a pc simulator *

&

• a console game

(*) that’s my thing and will stay so

2 Likes

Console manufactures and fans can boast how powerful their systems are all they want. At the end of the day the fact remains that they are, at best, low-mid tier pre-built PCs. Those of us who have mid-top range systems will, always have been, and always will be, held back by games that get console releases because the game has to be built to that console standard.

1 Like

This makes no sense to me . . . because guess what? They have to design for the low end PCs too, at least the ones that meet the minimum requirements. But the low end PCs supposedly don’t hold back the games like consoles do . . . because reasons.

2 Likes

Look at what defines “low end” (and everyone’s idea of low end and high end will be different).

Prime example: Xbox Series X runs on an AMD Zen 2 APU. APU’s are integrated graphics processing chips and are considered the lowest of the low in terms of gaming PC capability. Using APUs on consoles is nothing new, in fact APUs owe a great deal of their advancement to the console market. But they cannot compete with the performance of an independent graphics processor, as a vast majority of gaming PC’s utilize.

In a more practical sense, games are designed to run minimum settings at acceptable frame rates with APU’s in mind. Bear in mind that key term there; MINIMUM settings. This is the balancing act that gamers (PC players in particular) have to contest with. If your PC meets minimum spec, you can run at minimum settings. If your PC exceeds minimum spec, you can run at higher settings.

From a hardware standpoint, consoles meet that MINIMUM spec and thus cannot give the same graphical fidelity and performance that higher end hardware can handle.

And this brings on a massive question that the PC community at large on this game have. Why is this game performing so poorly on our systems? Why, after looking great and performing reasonably well in SU4 is it performing like ■■■■ on SU5? Specifically why is it performing this way when we were assured that performance and fidelity wouldn’t take a hit?

That being said, console fans will constantly praise how powerful and “pc-like” their systems are. And not to take way with how far consoles have come in terms of performance, it makes zero logical sense that they are as powerful as mid-top tier PC’s considering that those very PC’s designed the games and software they run.

3 Likes

Not quite.

Its 16GB. 10GB is GPU optimized with bandwidth of 560GB. The remaining 6GB has bandwidth of 336GB. There’s no limitation on what part of that memory is used for frame-buffers but obviously, putting your frame-buffers in the ‘faster’ 10GB is recommended for performance.

And as Coppersens stated, its all GDDR6.

1 Like

I think you’re talking about sampler feedback streaming, which is also present on any DX12.1 Ultimate GPUs.

1 Like

hotfix in friday-monday August 6th, 2020 Development Update - Microsoft Flight Simulator

Why wouldn’t there be? This question has been raised throughout the last 20 years and yet PC is still a viable platform that caters for those who do not want a console experience or like myself, see the benefits (and negatives) of both. Many gamers prefer to play on PC. You only have to see how many PC players get banned for cheating in Warzone to see that!
PC simmers will still be here in 10 years time. The question I would ask is how many will still be simming on xbox? Sure there will be some just as serious as anyone on PC about their hobby, but I’ll wager that many will have lost interest and moved on to the next hyped up, shiny AAA game in the next two or three months.
I am not having a go at Xbox players here btw. You can get much better performance from an xbox for £500 than any pc for the same price. My point is that a high number of console gamers will more than likely just move on.

Is the PC version bottlenecked by the ability to run on PCs that are lower spec than the Xbox?

No. Obviously not. Scalability is part of the sim. Always has been.

3 Likes

The memory requirement was 16GB on PC, with Xbox the sim has to be able to run on less than 8GB.
So basically that will be the limit from now on.

So in 6 years when the Xbox is ancient hardware and we have PC’s with 128GB of RAM it will still have to run on hardware with 8GB. I think that could become a limitation.

So there is no chance that any PC uses more than that? And there’s “Nothing the devs” can do about it? Is that along the lines of what you’re saying? Why is it technically not possible for the PC to use more than that, and what’s the exact technical reason? (maybe a dev can chime in?)

Currently there isn’t. I have 32GB but it won’t use more than 7 it seems.
Probably there will be a slider for us, hopefully.

But either way it’s a possible limitation going forward in the coming 10 years of development. They will always have to keep that 8GB limit in mind.

But didn’t they just announce that we will be able to select ourselves how much lod we want to pre-load? Wouldn’t that also impact ram usage on a PC? Any idea? I’m glad that I went for 32gb instead of 64gb ram :smiley: Wanted 64 initially, but there’s no point really.

Yes they will add a cache slider (maybe WU5) and that will probably fix the LOD issue by using more memory and sacrificing performance.

1 Like

That’s good news. I can do with less frames and more smoothness.

My understanding of that cache slider is not to fix LOD, but the pop-in you get when moving your view around rapidly. It would allow you to control the amount of objects retained in memory even when not looking at them. The loss here would be increased memory usage, but for many people this was never an issue to begin with.

1 Like

There may not be enough PC gamers left in 10 years because PC components are too expensive for many people already thanks to data-mining, and more crypto-currencies are being created all the time. Consoles are already as powerful as most gaming PC’s, and those high-performance developments will continue. Consoles take up much less space than PC’s, they are much easier to use and they’re much cheaper than PC’s.
Times are changing fast. Ten years ago, skateboards and bmx’s were kid’s toys - now they’re Olympic sports. Anyone who predicted that ten years ago would have been considered crazy!

All I want is the game I had post SU5, which looked great, ran great with my setting in VR, SU5 looks garbage and runs like garbage>

I would also like an option not to update the game to patches that ASBO put out.

1 Like

Most maybe a stretch but certainly some. But that’s just because we are at the beginning of a new console generation. Give it a few years and consoles will be looking dated and slow again, it’s just the same thing every generation.

1 Like

As I said in my previous post, the high-performance developments for consoles will continue.