Will MFS PC version from now be bottlenecked by the Console?

That’s why they hired working title to create fully functioning avionics…

Correct, although largely under construction.

Fair enough. It’s an opinion.

Matter of opinion and use case. It’s infinitely more realistic than Xplane and P3D at recreating the flying Environment (Earth, water, Atmosphere). Third party content is obviously a different story, given the maturity of the platform.

Which means: you wait until launch, check the general feedback(youtube, flightsim magazines, blogs, reddit, twitter and then take a decision, like a any rational human being would.

Since your very first post.

We can go back and forth for hours, won’t change anything about the situation. Let’s agree to disagree and accept that everybody has a different point of view/reasons to feel offended.

Will MFS PC version from now be bottlenecked by the Console?

No.

This is a myth perpetrated by people who don’t understand how these systems, and software development in general, works.

As a developer, I can certainly tell the compiler “turn these features on on PC, leave them off on consoles.”

The way in which consoles “hold back” PC development is largely based on some developers developing for console first, but not adding features to take full advantage of the PC.

However, this really isn’t the case here. MSFS 2020 was designed for PC first, then optimized for consoles later.

. . . and we’re not talking about weak consoles here. These are the latest generation! They are higher specs than the minimum requirements for running on PC! This is not archaic old hardware that should be holding back the game.

Microsoft’s goal was really to make the game look closer to High or Ultra settings on systems that would normally require you to go down to Medium or Low settings.

The Xbox Series S, the weaker of the consoles, has 10 GB of total RAM - that’s combining both RAM and VRAM.

The minimum spec system that FS2020 supports is 2 GB VRAM + 8 GB RAM = 10 GB total.

So here’s the deal: The Series S has enough total RAM to equal a minimum spec system. Which means that if they just straight ported it, some settings would need to be at their lowest.

. . . but they don’t want that. They want closer parity to high end PCs, not the budget PCs.

. . . so they have to make extensive optimizations to memory usage.

They can certainly make available “above Ultra” settings that use more memory to make the game look better, and I think that’s a good compromise.

I also think that all the new code introduced some bugs, which is normal, and I think will be ironed out over time.

4 Likes

Uploading: Microsoft Flight Simulator Screenshot 2021.08.04 - 17.26.22.29.png…

There is a problem with the RAM, right?

I think I have a PC and not an xbox.

1 Like

The console versions will not hold back the PC version as they currently don’t do it either. On a sufficiently powerful PC you can achieve better graphics and framerate. The developers have also said there will be even higher graphics settings available on PC, as well as raytracing, which is also impossible on consoles in this case. So I wouldn’t worry, especially that MSFS is a long-term project. Developing all these will take time obviously.

2 Likes

Raytracing is confirmed? If so, good news! Time to put those RT cores to use.

XBox Series X uses GDDR6 RAM, so don’t compare it to simple DDR4 system memory that you have in regular PCs (especially not those with an APU).
It’s actually pretty fast.

Also they have an algorithm in reserving space for textures which results in only a third of the space needed than in the old fashioned way (don’t know the exact details though, probably compared to XBox One, not to PCs). So it’s not Apples to Apples.

3 Likes

What you circled is a partially loaded building, not fully streamed in.

. . . and the point of the update was to rely a bit less on RAM, which appears to be the case.

I see nothing contradictory here.

Yes, they do need to tweak the game to prioritize closer buildings a bit more.

Interesting, I didn’t know that. It may not even be noticeable in that case, as main memory is utilised.

Here’s some more details. It’s pretty interesting and shows that the XBox Series X is a quite capable little box…

2 Likes

Cool. Apologies for being worked up. Agee to disagree.

1 Like

No need to apologize, my friend. I have no personal issues with you and I understand your concerns. Check the update btw! Good news

1 Like

The answer is no option will be added and LOD will be higher then previous SU4 as well.
Regarding Your Feedback + Upcoming Hotfix

By this downgrade Asobo allowed the BEST looking volumetric clouds and weather at the moment, specially when flying in VR to become that of DCS 2.7. Anyone can install it for free and get the default airplane that comes installed for a ride. Check the graphics quality. Then look at your fps. Don’t forget to inspect the cpu utilization to see how most cores receive load. Then think about SU5 again. It won’t matter that much.

Yeah, it’s got great streaming capabilities, which definitely explains why they optimized for that.

However, many PCs do not match that memory bandwidth - which is a problem for PC users. I’m optimistic they can make adjustments, but it’s not the greatest look for the graphical quality of the game on PCs with this particular patch.

Regarding Your Feedback + Upcoming Hotfix

The PC will be higher then xbox with option not available on Xbox, and if we are talking next year and after, will be even greater, xbox is limited with fixed memory.

2 Likes

I really think alot of frustration can be avoided if they reschedule the road map. Release updates that are stable instead of by a timeline.

I remember back when I had my 386 in 92’ that I rebooted the computer with a different boot disc to set up for the different games I wanted to play. If I used Windows 3.1 I would reboot so it was optimized.

We don’t want to do that anymore. Hopefully Asobo/MS will give us an update to separate the XBox limited game from the PC unlimited possiblities. Then we can all tune our graphics to what we can live with based on our own personal desires/system capabilities.

1 Like

The average Xbox gamer/simmer has other needs than a average PC gamer/simmer. And therefore should not have the same version of the sim. But be careful with speaking about the Xbox, several topics have just been closed.

1 Like

Yes be careful

Btw that was my point all I was saying was that pc issues will be different to Console ones and what crashes a pc will be fine on Xbox.

So pc owners adding their issues should be given a voice.

Yup it will.