Will MFS PC version from now be bottlenecked by the Console?

I think this alleviated much of the problem. I set both to 7.0. The result is below (in 4K). Not sure if there’s a better setting or if a higher setting is possible…

FL230

FL280…some pixilation around the arrow.

EDIT: I should add…I didn’t notice any effect on performance with this setting. RTX 2070 8GB

I don’t think anyone wants a setting above Ultra, but rather restore Ultra to what it was before without having to resort to text file edits.

As a rule of thumb, perhaps increase Ultra defaults till people complain about performance issues again, then we’ve restored things. :joy:

6 Likes

Very nice for the people who can play it now on a console. But people who paid for this a year ago aren’t getting what they were getting then. That isn’t fair.

6 Likes

When it comes to flight sims? Absolutely. This isn’t like trying to debate weather or not Call of Duty is better suited on the PC or a console. Flight simulation will always be better on the PC for a number of reasons.

1 Like

I only can speak for myself, but I do now have a LOT more than I had when the sim released.
Funny how perception can be so different.

A console like the XBox Series X with 12,5 Teraflops of power is not exactly a “bottleneck” but in fact more powerful than my current midrange-PC. (My current graphics card for example only has only 9,4 Teraflops of rendering power.)

But the Series S with 4 Teraflops indeed is a bottleneck and I really hope that the focus is not into downgrading this precious sim for the next months “until it runs good enough on the Series S” but bring the graphics standard to the absolute next level almost like the Alpha version was for the strong XBox and stronger PC!

Yes that’s true, i’m not talking about content but about functionality.

If the clouds look worse, and the scenery pops in when you look around because the sim has to work on Xbox, it think it’s not very fair for the customers who bought the sim last year.

You can have all the content but if the base sim is worse more content doesn’t fix the problem.

5 Likes

Just as vinyl is better than CD. The question is still: Will there be enough PC gamers in the next 10 years to sustain a gaming PC market?

I’m talking about the by far most voted issue in the whole forum being bad performance which has been addressed.

I’m talking about the base sim (weather, flight model, performance, systems,…) having seen improvements over the past year.
And now we’re having a slight degradation of graphics that mostly affects people with high-end PCs and some people are predicting the end of the sim…
It’ll be fixed again, just give them time.

1 Like

Flight simulation is niche, catering almost exclusively to the console crowd will mean the demise of this hobby.

The bad performance has been adressed by doing the thing that caused the scenery pop in when you look around outside. That is the problem, if you have VR or TrackIR and you look around there are buildings popping in which makes these (expensive) peripherals very annoying to use.

You can improve a lot of things by removing fidelity. That is not optimization, that’s just making another compromise. Optimization is making something work better without removing functionality.

5 Likes

Nobody is doing that, you’d know if you watched Q&As.

It’s pretty evident it is though given the latest sim update.

There is no PC version anymore this is now a pure console port.

4 Likes

Well, niche means small in this context so a small number of PC gamers are going to pay extortionate amounts for PC components and peripherals while Microsoft get nothing in the next 10 years for providing them with everything they demand in a flight simulator?

I know, it does. And they’ll find a way to address this. Vote for the corresponding threads to get visibility.

Clearly the popping in LOD change was not the only optimization they did. Check your CPU usage.
They reworked the engine and will now have to adapt to get highend PCs back to where they were or further.

No it isn’t. Many PC players/simmers are happy about the gains in performance. Suggesting that they cater exclusively for console is plain wrong, and you know it.

2 Likes

For now it seems that way, yet PC version has no DX12 functionality either right now. The Graphical fedelity i think will be restored in time.

Can I use my VR headset and all my peripherals (stick, ridder, throttle) on the Xbox?

I really hope you are right.

But the culling also helps CPU usage because it removes a lot of draw calls. They did remove the glass cockpit from the main thread but that probably isn’t the main reason why i got an extra 10 fps. And the clouds look terrible somehow on Ultra.

2 Likes

Mobile gaming market is even more profitable, how about it turns in ports from android?

1 Like