Wings are now pink since su5

So I noticed a long time ago, that at higher LOD’s, when I’m further away, I’d see flipped textures until I got closer on the A320. The change to the texture.cfg was that they added the base livery to the list (and maybe a couple of others on some).

I’m thinking that, for performance reasons for AI, they’ve changed the textures they look for at higher LOD’s?

What is the resolution of the textures you are using for AI? Are they 10K? 8K? 4K? 2K? I wonder if your textures are higher in resolution, so the game is rejecting them at higher LOD’s? Maybe make a set of AI textures at 2K and see if you can see the texture from further away?

This is a total shot in the dark. I have zero idea if it will work.

The majority of my textures are 2K. BTW, I tried the texture.cfg mod on the 787’s and the wings are pink. I haven’t regenerated the layout.json. I wish there was a compiler that would do all of them at once. One by one is going to take so long that by the time I finish them there will probably be an easier fix. Besides it’s not worth it until the AI night lighting is fixed.

I am looking forward to see what the AIG team come up with :smiley:

1 Like

Like many others, I too spent hours optimizing the AI liveries and they worked fine till SU5 came up! Now the liveries do show up about 80% of the time, IF you get close, but then change to the pink color.

It must the the LOD draw distance and Asobo broke it while trying to increase the frame rate and impress everyone about their great effort to “re-write” the code!

They need to take ownership of this broken aspect of the SU5 and fix it for all of us to enjoy what we want. It is not just the addon planes, but the trees and buildings as well that regenerate every time you look at them again. That is part of the game(SIM) that should be fixed by Asobo. No one tells them to fix third party addons, but at the least they should fix what is theirs…

They could include a slider to select FPS vs visual quality.

I would rather have better visuals at 30fps than lousy graphics at 60fps . I am sure many would agree with that.

At least give us a white or grey plane instead of this pink toys!!

2 Likes

Here is a clip from today. The addon livery has no problem drawing when you get closer, so I believe it is the draw distance that is responsible.

How do you do that regenerate thing

I’m having similar issues.

it disappears when i zoom a little

I have got the same problem since sim update 5.but for me not the wings but the whole liveries turn pink when zoomed out/viewed from distance. It doesnt affect all liveries, or it doesnt everytime, for example I had one a320 lufthansa livery sowing correct and the same livery on another a320 was missing/pink. so I guess it has not only to do with LOD or resolution, which makes this even more difficult. I also tried the suggestions from above, but they didnt work for me. I guess we will have to wait for new updated liveries. this is very unfortunate, as I just had setup all my liveries for live traffic, it was awesome, now ive been thrown back 1 year :frowning:

I feel your pain, my friend.
Surprised why this is not an issue with everyone?

can you please post the link here?
thanks…

Quick update. I downloaded all of the SU5 compatible 747 liveries that have been posted so far on flightsim. I haven’t checked all of them yet but the ones I have do not flip…except one, and it has 8K textures. All of the other ones look great from a distance and I am happy with them. Please keep in mind I am using the liveries for AI. It’s very seldom I hop into an airliner. :smiley:

2 Likes

Texture fix for SU5. 747/787/A320/A32NX/CJ4 » Microsoft Flight Simulator

3 Likes

As has been noted, Asobo made a change to the code. There were advantages to these changes, and the changes were unanticipated. It is what it is and now it’s the responsibility of authors and/or users to modify their mods to match the new design.

There’s nothing for Asobo to do here, they did not write the mods and have no responsibility for the mods. It’s possible they could offer to write a tool which goes through liveries and modifies the texture.cfgs to match the new standard (I still don’t understand why layout.json’s were being rebuilt as well, that doesn’t make sense to me). But given there’s not much of a standard of how liveries are created, I wouldn’t expect them to spend time doing that.

Upshot… Asobo has nothing to fix. This is on us, and, given they are mods, we all should have been prepared to have to go through this process, and you can bet that it will likely happen again. If you want the system to improve over time anyway.

If they are all pink, then, for some reason, FS thinks there’s a livery for that airline in your system, but, at a distance, it can’t find the texture it wants to use for that LOD.

As I noted above, I think this has to do with:

1. Do you have AI specific liveries for every livery? If not, FS probably defaults to no texture available at higher (Lower resolution) LOD’s.

2. Do you have any liveries bigger than 2K that you are using for AI? If so, again, these are likely thrown out at higher LOD’s. It sounds like @WaterLattice34 has shown fixing liveries works if they are 2K, and it may be true that larger liveries are ignored for AI for performance reasons. Just a guess on my part, but, it makes sense. I could be wrong. But, personally, I’d want to do the work to keep them at 2K anyway.

I know that for most liveries I’ve downloaded, I’ve had to create the AI specific version if I wanted to use it as an AI livery. (It was so much work I gave up for the moment, haha).

1 Like

Appreciate your feedback.
The point is that before SU %, the same liveries worked just fine! Even 8k liveries had no problem rendering.
You are right that Asobo does not own any of the addons, so they are not responsible, BUT they should take some ownership of things that DID work before the update but dont work AFTER the update. No one is going to hold them responsible and things that are positive about the update have been narrated numerous times by many people.
I am sure our community will figure out how to being that functionality back. The debate is not about how broke what and how, it is about how to make FS enjoyable once again by bringing back the same functionality as before. that’s all…

1 Like

What bugs me the most is there was nothing in the release notes about liveries. I think Asobo could be a little more proactive when major changes like this take place.

I have tried the fix I linked to and used it on all of the 787’s I have from project megapack. The pink is gone but the flips are still there and I think they are all 2K liveries.

I am going to try some 320’s next. I have a ton of them…lol Mostly from project megapack.

I replaced the texture.cfg fix on apx. fifty A320’s and I am not seeing any pink or flipping textures on the 320’s. They all look great up close or from a distance.

It’s probably not necessary to regenerate the layout.json for the 320’s. It was for the 787’s.

1 Like

So, this change was on purpose. They knew they were going to affect liveries. They made the change on purpose, because in their minds, they screwed up the first time you could say by being lax about LOD’s and liveries. And they have paid the price in “Oh, Asobo stinks at optimizing their graphics” blah, blah, blah (from people who wouldn’t know what optimized graphics are in the first place, but, that’s beside the point).

Point is, this was a change they had to make. So now we all have to deal with it. There is nothing to own up to here, and nothing to do. Think about it like your CEO just changed, and now things are going to be run differently. It’s time to stop being lazy and run a tight ship. Think about it like one of your teammate’s just red carded out and now you’re going to have to play with the team you’ve got.

It doesn’t matter if they worked before. Not at all. Not one little bit. The performance to be gained is well beyond what pain we all will feel with having to edit a few files, and actually bringing some order to AI Liveries.

In fact, I imagine this is just the first step to AI finally starting to work correctly. I’ll put money on there will be further changes we’ll have to deal with as they optimize the system.

I totally agree with you here. They know what they did (not in a “I saw what you did!” way, but in a "we did this, and this, etc. way). They know we all make and use liveries. Why can’t they just tell us up front when they make a change, and how to go about fixing it? Why do we have to discover in roundabout ways what’s going on, and sometimes make problems worse because we didn’t understand how it worked but were forced to make guesses.

This has always been there. It would be nice if we understood why, and if there was anything we could do about it. I think it’s because they take the livery and cut it in half so to say and release the memory of the other half, so that half flips when it gets applied to the other side. It is a way of managing memory by releasing half of it, but, you know, if we knew what was going, and they know what’s going on, you’d think when they cut it in half, they’d at least create a new transformation for the texture as they reapply it. I dunno. Seems like a possible idea to me.

Did you happen to do a diff between the before and after layout.json?

Thinking about it, I wonder if deleting the content.xml would have done the same thing as recreating the layout.json. I can’t figure out what’s different. Other than the 787 I think is a Premium plane, and maybe some drm got in the way that gets fixed by regenerating the layout.json?

To summarize:

The updated 747’s I downloaded from flightsim.to are perfect, at least the ones I have seen so far. No pink and no flipping textures.

The 787’s do flip…I wonder if it has anything to do with the mirrored textures.? When I replaced the texture files I still had pink wings until I regenerated the layout.json. The pink is gone on all of 787’s but the textures still flip.

All I did with the 320’s was install the fixed texture.cfg file. There is no flipping and all the pink is gone.

No, not yet. But I did delete the content.xml even though I didn’t see anything in that file that’s related to liveries. It did not help.

Anyways I am content with what I have done. It’s far from perfect but better than having to look at the default liveries all the time. Liveries are working like they did before SU5 except the aircraft lights. The work around for that is better than nothing for now.

2 Likes

Thank you for that answer. Will give it a try after work with only updated 2k liveries. It’s just not much fun on an airport with only Xbox or aviators club liveries

1 Like