[WIP] A380X | FlybyWire Simulations

Hi there,

We hope you liked our recent previews of the A380X exterior - now, as shown in our latest stream, here are some videos of our FMS in action.

This system is built entirely from the ground-up using common components from our new LNAV architecture. It will support complex procedures at the same level as the in-development A32NX FMS, tailored specifically to IRL A380 behavior.

36 Likes

Hi there,

We know you all have been patiently waiting for the FBW A380X. While you may have to wait a bit longer - we’d like to showcase the hard work of our A380X team.

We are unveiling a short cinematic development preview of textures, animations, and systems powered up for the first time. Please sit back, relax, and experience our iteration of the world’s largest passenger jet for MSFS 2020.

Join us on Discord with other members of the community, get started with contributing, or ask us a question!

Credits to our A380 Team for all the hard work!

41 Likes

Hi devs. What’s the progress so far? xx% wise?

I know this plane is free and beggers can’t be choosers, but is there any way we can get a monthly update on this plane? It has been 5 months since this video and a lot of people are excited.

Sorry guys. Due to the community-driven nature of our projects, we do not enforce delivery timelines on our volunteer developers. Hence we can’t tell how long something will take. We value high-quality, polished releases over frequent and quickly-released ones, which means some features might take time. Rest assured that our developers and contributors are working hard on making every FlyByWire project as bug-free and feature-complete as possible, but that we are not able to provide release dates or estimates.

In short terms: we do not know ourselves. And a developement % is hard to tell, cause even minor things can be pretty time consuming. If we have something meaningful, we will show it (our devs are eager to do so :slightly_smiling_face: )

10 Likes

Hi there,

Get ready for a detailed dive into the A380X Model and Textures featuring our lead texture artist Mike.

Our A380X continues to take shape with every aspect of the aircraft getting the attention it deserves. We hope you appreciate the more technical aspects of this preview and the concepts behind them.

Grab something to drink and put your feet up as the A380X takes to the virtual skies.

Credits to our A380 Team for all the hard work!

37 Likes

You FBW guys surely know how to tease!

just incredible …textures just wow, knocked out of the park

Looks great! I noticed the FMS in the A380 is not like the one in the A320… does that present issues getting the FMS to run remotely on a phone / tablet like you can do with the A320?

Really not much to be said, the video speaks for itself.

This is going to be a hot commodity.

INCREDIBLE!! Absolute awesome!
Also the cockpit screenshots posted a few weeks before this video look fantastique!

AAA-Project.

Some more pics recently (on FSElite):

4 Likes

I can’t wait for this.

Should we see this in 23?

2 Likes

The attention to detail is amazing and a new standard. This will be the only true competitor for Fenix-quality.
Here is the newest video with many detailed cockpit shots, zoomed in to half an inch away of the screws and panel scratches and knobs and buttons to check if every detail is perfect:

The technical attention to detail is also there, for example when only one of the two hydraulic pumps run per engine the hydraulic line has only 4800 or 4900 instead of 5000 or 5100 psi pressure.

Hi there,

The A380 is an uncommon, huge kind of a plane… One wing is around 50 tons alone, and full of fuel it can reach around 150 tons. Yes, that’s more than the weight of two A320s… for each wing…

For such an unusual mass of fuel and metal, we are experimenting with a new wing flex system from scratch, that can simulate the bending of the wing all along its length, with possible different resonance modes from the root to the tip. Each fuel tank has its own mass and position in the wing, and will drastically affect the wing physics, along with the position of each control surface.

There’s still a lot of work to do, and the wing model is being reworked for full immersion, but we believe it’s the only way to bring you something as close as we possibly can to the real mighty A380!

12 Likes

This looks perfect! Good to see that the project is doing good progress. This airplane is one more reason to completely build a new VR setup from scratch in late autumn.

I know it might be looking too far into the future, but what do people think about the likely best throttle quadrant for this beast?

The options I can think of are currently as follows and although none of them is perfect, IMHO, they should all do a reasonable job.

1. Carry on using my TM Warthog, complete with a 3d-printed insert, which provides detents, including the 2 reverse detents, that currently works great with the A320 and A330 aircraft in MSFS. Only 2 levers though, so might have to map the left engines to one lever and the right engines to the other lever, if that is going to be possible.

2. Buy 2 TM TCA Airbus throttle quadrants, which I think can have the forward-travelling detents, but rely on switches for reverse. Not cheap though, especially if you also choose to buy the spoiler and flaps addons.

3. Honeycomb Bravo. Although you can get a version of the Airbus levers, to include detents for 2 levers, a 4-lever detent version of that will probably be tough to produce. Again, as a compromise, you could use the 2-lever version, as per option 1, or simply get the standard Honeycomb Airbus pack and have all 4 levers, but limited detents.

For me, unless a 4-lever, fully detented option emerges between now and when the A380 is released and the A380 allows 1 lever to be mapped to 2 engines, I’d probably just save some cash and stick with option 1.

If anyone else has thought of this and arrived at a conclusion or knows of other options, I’d be grateful to hear what you think.

The Saitek X52 Pro can be recommended. It has many illuminated buttons and a huge illuminated display, and the spring of the stick is very smooth and easygoing with not much resistance:

It has only one throttle with no reverse thrust, that´s the only negative point.

The A380 systems slowly become functional in absolute attention to detail. This is the Airbus GPS the OANS (Onboard Airport Navigation System).

5 Likes

I´m so glad seeing this aircraft coming to life…

Actually, It´s not the the Airbus i´m looking for, but all this systems already modelled are such a good starting point for a great A350…