Wishlist for features of built-in replay functionality

MODERATOR EDIT:
This post merged into this topic.

Hi all, hope all of you are doing well!

On the last Q&A Jurgen asked for feedback on the replay system - I’ve been holding it for a while since I’m the type of person that just holds back assuming that the same issues have already been reported by other users. However the fact they said they have not received enough feedback has made me deviate from my normal behaviour :slight_smile:

Obviously I think the main issue is - a lot of MSFS users are new to the platform and simming in general hence have not experienced what other sim’s on the market offer in terms of the replay system, and I also think many of them don’t even know that it’s there…

In my opinion (and ofc the topic is open to discussion to all of us, so please share your thoughts) the x-plane replay system is the best out there - I’ve never had an issue using it, and it does exactly what you expect - which is also everything that MSFS replay doesn’t do. In X-plane it’s simply a bar with an arrow wherever on the timeline you are, and it’s quick & smooth and reports all the systems exactly as they were at that point in time - if you move on the bar, it does what you expect it to do… Well in MSFS it kinda does, but… you’re stuck to the view that you were seeing, if you’ve already switched off the plane batteries, you’ll get tone of warnings and what not? and the most annoying thing is that if you want it to do what X-plane does, you have to fiddle around with another bar, and another pause button and another stop button that honestly it’s just overwhelming and too difficult.

Ideally, just have a bar with a timeline, let us the pick us where on that timeline we want to be and let us choose the view, if we want to see what happened on the cockpit well, you can still choose to be on the cockpit! Also simulate all the system as they were (sometimes spoilers are not up,etc) , it’s annoying to secure the aircraft and then just get tones of warnings when watching the replay… Don’t overcomplicate! :slight_smile: keep it simple!

In Summary → A bar with a timeline and at a view of your choice! Nothing else!

Please share your thoughts,
zun

2 Likes

I disagree. Please retain “Camera Track Recording”. Please retain the ability to record drone flying only without the plane in motion. Please retain the smooth playback that doesn’t affect FPS. No other “Replay” software can do these things. Thanks.

p.s. Please restore “Camera Track Recording” ASAP.

1 Like

My vote goes with a sliding timeline and the ability to use all of the views and camera tools as if it was live.

Asobo: Please also retain the ability of MSFS Replay to record just drone view with the airplane not in motion. I use this feature in videos. Neither FSR nor FlightRecorder will record if the airplane is not in motion. Thanks.

I would love it if they fixed the replay so you can actually record new camera tracks to watch different views because it was working fine, and then SU8 came along and it is broken

How about just having to the replay always recording and then just click replay without having to click on record? Just like FSX.
Also, would be nice if they can provide an easier way to change the views without having to record the camera track which is sometimes annoying.

The bug with not being able to change camera view still not fixed in most recent update/patch

Yes, an actual replay functionality, not just a recorder. It would be an amazing tool, and if it can properly replay animations and AI traffic, that would be a great bonus!

1 Like

Hi All -

The Asobo Dev Team asked for feedback on the replay functionality on the last Q&A call, so I wanted to provide some!

Bottom line, it’s not very good - having to enable the setting in Dev mode and the way you have to capture the replay is cumbersome and not user friendly. I honestly just want the old FSX replay mode back, where we can get a replay at any moment (for the last couple minutes) at any time, without having to enable any setting each time. Tower view was great as well, would be nice if they could reincorporate that.

Thanks!

3 Likes

I agree that the best solution would be a Replay tool like in X-Plane 11.
The beta replay tool is not really a replay tool, it is more a moviemaker tool.
MSFS can have this in addition to a replay tool, but we need a real replay tool.
I use the freeware tool flight-recorder. This is much more practical than the MSFS beta replay tool.
But it is easy to forget to start recording, and after landing you can not replay, because you have forgotten to start replay.
So my feedback:
Beta replay tool is not really a replay tool, and it is unpractical.
I would prefer a tool with time slider, which can be started anytime,
like described by users above.
And Systems like Flaps setting, thrust setting, lights… should also be replayed.

And to have a tower view is very important.
One likes to review his landing from a view like one would be standing at the airport and watch the aircraft landing.
It can be done with drone view, but it is not practical to follow the aircraft manually.

Wishlist for features of built-in replay functionality

Simple. Features that were already available in past versions of MSFS. Also flyby views.

My wish is for the record/replay is it be a powerful, friendly, versatile tool, and why shouldn’t it be, to meet the various wants of all the commentators in this thread. It is the second part of the enjoyment equation for simmers. As a curious bunch (that could be taken two ways), I believe more MSFSers will begin to explore and utilize the features beyond just reviewing takeoffs and landings. As we know the current tool has lost most of it’s functionality since SU8, except in VR (see camera not moving in popular links), but it wasn’t too terrible a start when it was working.
Improvements I wish to see on that initial release of the tool are:

1.The ability to change views in replay on track 1 which is currently and surprisingly doable in VR (see “camera not moving” under popular links) and still retain the additional track record feature.
2. Retaining all aircraft settings, conditions and changes from the beginning of the flight and as they happen through the flight including cockpit VR head movement, rather than from the end of the flight. It’s a bit humorous to see the tires smoking on taxi for takeoff because I set the chocks after landing.
3. The addition of a movable tower view ala FSX.
4. The addition of a following flyby camera view and a flyover view which are more dramatic than either the external or drone views as it would show the power and speed of the aircraft.
Lastly:
5. The ability to set multiple custom ground camera locations along the flight path that would automatically switch in the replay to show a flyover or flyby view. Perhaps similar to or even utilizing the World Map in the way you can add waypoints to your inputted departure and arrival flight path. Imagine setting a camera inside a stadium and doing a flyover with 3 ghost planes. Outstanding! Did I mention Ghost Planes?

Camera is not moving with the plane in the built-in replay tool in SU8 when clicking on “Record camera Track”

:+1:
I agree with your comments!

I think this was previously mentioned, but to be sure, the ability to set up your camera type and direction without having to press record on the camera track. Currently you have to record a camera track before you can position your camera for that track (somewhat backwards).

BTW: Has anybody gotten Jorg to read this thread yet?

Hey thanks!
I’m advocating for the building out and refinement of the dev mode recorder as I believe you are. I can see the potential.

To those who might not agree, just by enabling the base recording (track 1) to change views and adding a scrub bar would introduce the much requested simplification factor. Keeping the additional track recording would enable those who wish to be more creative in producing custom videos.

By adding the ability to preset custom camera locations and views along the flight path in the flight planning stage would add the piloting challenge of flying a precise route, drama to the recording and I feel be a great time saver by streamlining the creative process of making a custom video. However the current lack of both a following flyby view and a flyover view are huge misses and it’s imperative that they be added. Those are camera feature issues but they are obviously integral to the record/replay feature. Eventually adding saved recordings as AI traffic and we will really have something!

Your previous points highlighting the benefits of using the in sim tool are well taken. On a personal note, I would add that since I do all my “flying” in VR the third party options are a bit inconvenient.

As to whether Jorg has seen this thread, I noticed this at the end of a related thread that was closed 4 days ago;

CLOSED 4 DAYS AGO

Closing this so that it does not split an
active topic:
****Wishlist for features of built-in replay functionality

"This above wishlist topic has been brought up to the developers "**

Also one of the Moderators recently mentioned their team have raised the issue to whomever they raise issues to.
It’s been a year since the initial request for feedback for the team working on the replay tool.
Not quite sure what they are working on. Since that request they have released the dev mode tool (“never intended for release”) and then broke it within months with SU8. Not a lot of progress there. Thankfully there is the bug fix in beta SU9.
Many have taken the time to offer their opinions over the past year, including the author of one of the third party options. We are all very much invested in this MSFS 2020 project.

Asobo isn’t it about time? How about a status update on the direction you’re taking with the feature. Thanks in advance.

Several posts have been removed. Please stay on-topic of requesting features for a replay system. Since last Q&A, this topic has been pushed up to the developers. Thank you.

1 Like

That truly is the wish. Thank you Moderator Team!

I’ve just read through the walkthrough guide. Some things are listed as “Known Issues”, some things are listed as “Good to Know”. One of the “Good to know” items is that you need to buy an Xbox controller to move the camera.

Is that really the case? If so, as it’s a “Good to know”, does that mean there are no plans to make it possible to move the camera without an Xbox controller?

I have no idea why the team still need more input from us about this, it’s quite simple.

• Allow us to record a flight or part of it, then we can replay it, and start to play the the cameras / slow motion, lens effect, etc… with a nice UI. If possible a function that will save the video with our own setting, codec, resolution, fram rate, etc. For older computer, render each frame separately, so everyone can get a fluid video, that’s a trick I used in FSX

• Like in the Forza series, you can add a rewind function, so we can start an approach again for exemple

Do that and 99% of the people will be happy

1 Like

I saw or read somewhere that an XBox controller was the best way to move the camera but it is possible to map to your mouse, joystick hat button and/or keyboard. I use a combination of all three to change views and move the camera that works pretty well. It is a bit fussy to set up. Sorry I don’t remember the steps but it is possible. I’m hoping the Devs retain this ability for future releases.

1 Like

Can I also suggest better camera control and views. For example when I set up a stationary camera aside the runway. And set the drone camera to track the aircraft, as I roll or fly past my position the camera tends to annoying rotate. And the using space bar to reset the roll shoots the camera position in the air about 10-15 ft. It’s very frustrating, and trying to get a good angle just for it to mess up and your camera track to be ruined…. Please get rid of the track system and adopt something like flight recorder or sky dolly.