Working Title G1000 NXi Discussion Thread

Are others finding that the NXi (in the C172 for me) is turning slightly too late and then having to correct to get back on the next leg of a flightplan.

Say on a right turn, the NXi turns right too late, overshoots the next leg, has to over turn to get back to the leg, then does a left turn to finally line up with the leg.

Don’t remember it doing this in previous builds, but it seems to be every time, regardless of speed in v0.12.0

3 Likes

There are two types of waypoints, fly-through and fly-by. Fly-through means the aircraft is going to go through the waypoint before it begins the turn to remain on course. There is overshoot depending on the speed of the aircraft and the course angle. The fly-by means the aircraft will start the turn early to remain on course without going through the waypoint. There is no overshoot. The aircraft will start the turn before the waypoint depending on the aircraft speed and angle of the course. Generally, I have seen the fly-through waypoints mostly on instrument approaches initial fixes where the course angle is mostly straight.

Does the pilot choose for the waypoint to be FB or FT waypoint during flight planning? Rather is it just how the waypoint is … either a FB or FT?

1 Like

Here’s one - is there a way to use the NXi to plan your IFR flight BUT not choose your landing runway until realistically feasible (closer to approach)? I know this addon doesn’t play nice with filing a plan with ATC, and I know ATC mostly sucks but it does add some immersion for me. I know you can set up flight following and “choose a different runway for landing” once you’re communicating with approach, but at that point you’ve already likely passed whatever STAR is appropriate for the designated operating runway. Maybe I’m overcomplicating this?

Yes, I am well aware of that. I should have mentioned that I am only dealing with Fly-By.

And it still slightly overshoots and has to correct now. It didn’t before. Something has changed.

It’s not a big overshoot, but it is there and it is ugly, and shouldn’t be doing it.

Lateral tracking code has not changed for several versions. The autopilot does the best it can to avoid overshoot but it’s a very general purpose control loop due to the wide range of plane performance for installs. As such there may a a few degrees of overshoot or undershoot as the plane settles into the track. To be fair, this is also the case with many real world autopilots.

If you have a video of what feels to you to be a severe case, we can take a look at it.

1 Like

NXi version 0.12.1 is now available in the Marketplace:

G1000 NXI 0.12.1

Issues Fixed

• On RNAV approaches, VNAV overriding GP and preventing or canceling a GP capture.
  • VNAV occasionally not switching to VPTH at TOD, especially after flat path segments.
  • ILS issues:
    • Fixed failure to auto-change the CDI source when appropriate.
    • Fixed APPR failing to arm when GPS is the CDI source and FAF leg is active.
  • Fixed an issue that would occasionally cause flight plan changes to not properly update the PFD.
16 Likes

Thanks fro the reply. It’s not ‘serious’, but I just don’t remember it doing it like it is now - I would have noticed before.

Next time I’m in the sim, I will try to capture a video for you and stick it on here.

Thanks.

Thank you for this very quick fix, very much appreciated! :blush:

1 Like

With the new CFD simulation pilots in early beta complained that the autopilot would not stabilise so Asobo tweaked the C172 autopilot to fix it, as listed in the release notes. Just a hunch but maybe this has affected the turning rate?

Thank you very much for this fix and the quick response.

2 Likes

@Bishop398 Thanking you and the rest of the WT Team for update !!
You are the BEST !!.
Have a great weekend.

6 Likes

YES!

Really can’t imagine fly without NXI and WT products! Thank You!

4 Likes

When the G1000NXi first came out, I was a little scared after I switched. Sure, it was a G1000, but to that point in time I wasn’t aware of just how much it SHOULD do vs the stock one.

Glad I jumped into the pool and tried. Absolutely superb work by the WT crew!

6 Likes

If I have an ILS approach loaded, not activated, and I have the correct ILS frequency in NAV1 and it is active freq and I fly it via GPS, is the NXi supposed to switch the CDI automatically to LOC1 as I come in range to the localizer?

I could have sworn it used to.

About 8 posts above yours, those are listed in the 0.12.1 release note fixes.

I am on 0.12.1

Didn’t work in the Baron. Have uninstalled NXi and reinstalled it. Testing now.

Everything working excellent now! Never noticed the soft keys at e bottom! It’s a whole new world now! I’m really starting to figure this thing out now! That just blew my mind!

Totally worked thank you! Sorry if I’m double posting! Forums are confusing in my phone!

What I noticed is that sometimes there is no “primary frequency” listed for the ILS approach (that will automatically set the frequency for you). If you enter the correct ILS frequency by hand it will not automatically switch to LOC1. When you test, verify if the “primary frequency” is present, this could explain why sometimes the switch does or does not occur automatically.

1 Like