Working Title G1000 NXi Discussion Thread

Sure it might differ a bit from system to system (see @FlyingBear01 post below yours) but contrary to the TAWS / GPWS being inhibited on ground, the terrain display should remain active. At Innsbruck for example, on ground the display is completely black. I think its a MSFS thing, the default Airbus behaves the same for example. I’m also wondering how does the Cessna 172 G1000 know when on ground, as soon as you touch the tarmac or leave the ground the terrain appears or disappears but the C172 does not have an air ground logic like a weight on wheel sensor :sweat_smile:.

Something else I’ve noticed on the G1000, including the NXi is that the nose-up / nose-down buttons are reversed in FLC mode? Nose-up should select a lower speed and nose-down should select a higher speed. Don’t know if anybody can confirm.

Yup, that activating it before takeoff was my big mistake. I was doing it because I thought I had to because…not worth going into my misunderstanding other than to say I’d never done that previously but I was thrown off by the disjunction between the World Map-generated flight plan and the one in the NXi. Anyway, I just redid the flight before reading your reply, and I loaded the approach instead of activating it. Also because distance between cruise and TOD was too short on my short hop from KMRY to KWVI to go to the 4,000 ft. cruise alt. dictated by the FPL for the IAF at RISPE, I set cruise at 3,000 ft., the altitude for the IF “interim fix” at IAFY. I hand flew the G36 to 1,000-1,000 ft. while turning toward the GPS course, armed NAV and VS (the latter set to 1,000 fpm) when I intersected it, and ascended to 3,000 ft., which I’d selected in the PFD prior to takeoff. At this point I armed VNAV, and reset the preselected altitude to 2,000 ft., which was the lowest alt. in the FPL view. I didn’t activate approach at that point, because the course from the IAF at RISPE was 90 degrees off the heading at the IF at IAFY, which was really the start of final. Instead, I activated it just after IAFY. I had to fiddle around a bit to get VNAV going. Even though the VS button on my Logitech multi panel was dark, VS was somehow still active and holding the plane at 3,000 ft. I clicked once or twice on the VS button in the MFD and the G36 began descending to 2,000. Reaching 2,000 a couple of miles before the FAF at FOXOV (I’d studiously controlled my airspeed), I further reduced the PFD ALT preselect to 1,000 ft., and when I got to FOXOV, the G36 continued its descent to RWY 2 at KWVI. I let it go down to 300 ft. before I disengaged the AP and hand flew it the rest of the way–all very satisfying. I will replicate this trip a few more times tomorrow to strengthen my VNAV mental-muscle memory.

2 Likes

I am having the same issue in the C208. Flight plan loaded from world map (does not always load correctly) I take off and press the nav button and the AP does not follow the FP.

With a further test, I can say that for me the AP in the 208 won’t follow a world map loaded flight plan. But if the flight plan is created with the G1000 NXi it does.
There is another problem, after creating the flight plan the rest of the buttons in the cockpit do not respond to the mouse.

Hello! Can someone please help me understand how to enter altitudes for waypoints in order to get VNAV working? I load a flight plan but am unable to get over to the altitude settings.

Thanks!

This feature is not yet implemented.

1 Like

ok thanks that makes it easy then :wink:

1 Like

If your takeoff heading is significantly different from the initial flight plan heading, the AP will not engage the course. Make sure your aircraft heading is somewhat close to the FPL heading, and the NAV button should engage.

1 Like

Forgot to mention, this is on the Garmin 1000 Nxi. Even though it’s still in constant development, it works very well for me.

You should however get automated entries (including altitudes) for published approaches (and I assume departures, I’ve just never flown one with GA planes), so while you can’t add your own, VNAV is very much working.

When I use the MSFS World Map flight planner, the altitudes are entered automatically.

VNAV works a charm when you have an STAR or Approach loaded, where the flightplan shows the restrictions.
Hopefully it won’t be too long before we can add our own altitudes for waypoints.

1 Like

ah i use LittleNavMap for my route planning

All flight plan creators are not equal. LittleNavMap puts waypoint altitudes and speed restrictions in the flight plan notes, not in the flight plan file itself. The MSFS World Map flight planner puts waypoint altitudes and speed restrictions in the flight plan file itself.

OK thank you!! I’ll give this a try, yes the takeoff heading was more than 90 degrees from the FP heading.

Version 0.7.0 is available.

Chris (Z-6):

Hey @everyone, we are excited to announce v0.7.0 of the G1000NXi is launching in the Marketplace! This update includes some exciting new features, such as improved VNAV behavior, a brand new EIS system and upgrades to the Flight Plan pages. This update also addresses a long list of bugs – you can find all the details in the release notes. As always, this is an Early Access Opt-In Beta, so there may be bugs or missing features! Please give us feedback and reports on Discord in our nxi-early-access channel. Head to the sim Marketplace to grab the NXi, or go to Content Manager to download the update. You can find the release notes here: HERE

13 Likes

Heads Up!

• VNAV now deactivates upon reaching the last constraint (cyan altitude in FPL) prior to a VNAV ineligible leg, such as a MANSEQ, Procedure Turn or Hold. Be aware that if you have a MANSEQ leg at the end of your arrival procedure, without manual intervention, you can (and likely will) end up too high to reasonable descend for the approach. You have three options to navigate this: (1) Manually descend as is reasonable at your discretion; (2) delete the MANSEQ leg to allow VNAV to recalculate by directly connecting the end of the arrival with the beginning of the approach or (3) activate the approach (or proceed direct to the IAF) and VNAV will attempt to calculate a path up to 6 degrees from your current position to the next constraint.
  • GPS, LOC, and VOR modes now ARM! Be aware that you will need to be on an intercept course and within capture distance of the desired flight path before those modes will become active.
  • The GPS flight plan sequencing will enter SUSP under the following conditions: when reaching a manual termination leg (holds, manual sequence) and when reaching the final leg of the plan. This is actually correct behavior. To exit out of SUSP (for example, if you got to the end of a plan and then loaded more waypoints), hit the SUSP softkey in the middle of the PFD.
  • Changing the CDI source drops the autopilot into ROL mode. This is the correct behavior, intended to keep the airplane held in the same attitude until the pilot reselects appropriate guidance.
  • When exiting a hold, do not delete the HOLD as it will cause flight plan issues. Press the SUSP key to continue with the flight plan sequence or go direct to another fix.
  • The NXi’s traffic advisory system (TAS) will now start in STANDBY mode by default. While in this mode it will not issue any advisories nor will traffic be displayed on any maps. The system will automatically switch from STANDBY to OPERATING mode after takeoff (and back to STANDBY after landing). You can also manually switch TAS to OPERATING mode through the MFD Traffic Map page (use the MFD FMS knobs to change the open MFD page).
5 Likes

On 0.6 I had some instances, in the Caravan, where I could not disabled the Flight Director. All AP modes were disabled, and AP was off. The PFD showed ROL, and PIT. Pressing FD did nothing. But sometimes it did work, but I don’t know the circumstances in which it did work. Perhaps this will work better in 0.7.

I had considered that perhaps this happens because I drive the AP via my Logitech Multi-Panel, and perhaps some of the SimConnect events set things that the virtual cockpit switches do not. But I did try using the VC switches only to enable, then disable various modes to hopefully reset it to a “happy” state, but even that didn’t work.

Nice EIS system…yea!