Working Title G1000 NXi Discussion Thread

Xbox – PFD and MFD screen white boxes
When the small light grey circular game pointer rests on either the PFD or MFD screens a white box appears around the screen and obscures some of the screen information on the periphery of the screen (see photo). This can be cleared by moving the mouse pointer but will reappear the next time the game pointer rests on either screen. This can be problematic if you are bouncing between views that involve the PFD or MFD screens as every time you return to the GPS screens you need to clear the white box.
IMG_20210919_202835714

So I did just that today, re-flying KMRY RWY 28L to KWVI RNAV RWY 2. (KMRY to KWVI is a good practice run because it only takes about 12 minutes, and RNAV RWY2 at KWVI has an LPV approach.) Activating the approach before takeoff worked up to a point. I started with a “direct” departure which took me out over the Monterey Bay to RISPE, the IAF. Taking off from KMRY, I turned toward the GPS track and armed NAV when I intersected it. The G36 turned onto the prescribed course. I also armed ALT and then VS. I was supposed to be at 4,000 ft. at RISPE, but there was no way I was going to get there in the short distance from KMRY, so I adjusted the ALT to 3,000 ft., the required approach altitude at IAFY, the IF (“intermediate approach fix,” as I’ve just learned) and commencement of final approach. When I reached 3,000 ft., I further reduced ALT to 1,000 ft., a thousand feet below the 2,000 ft. FAF ALT at FOXOV, to give the AP “permission” to follow the glidepath to the runway. I armed VNAV before IAFY. When I got there, the G36 commenced descending to 2,000 ft. without any intervention from me. (VPATH at the top of the PFD also turned green.) BUT, when the G36 reached 2,000 ft. at FOXOV, it stopped descending. The V with the diagonal slash under it disappeared from the PFD altitude strip; VPATH disappeared from the top of the PFD display. VNAV simply stopped working. I clicked it a couple of times trying to rearm it, but wasn’t able to. So I disengaged the the AP and hand flew the Bonanza the rest of the way. Once again, I got in some good manual landing practice, but that’s not what I was looking for. (Before the latest NXi update, this approach worked like a charm as VNAV guided the G36 down through a low cloud layer that obscured the runway until about 500 ft. AGL. Now, that was exciting.)

I’ve watched a couple of YouTube videos which seem mostly focused on all the nifty new features WT has added to the NXi. But the new features are not much use to me until I can figure out how to use VNAV, which is the NXi’s most important addition to the sim experience and the feature that’s most important to me right now.

I have tried several times to do the same procedure to YSSY ,my local AP, and have a similar experience as it sets a SUSP message to suspend the flight. I think this means SUSPEND waiting for manual intervention but I cannot figure out what kind of intervention, I hope you find the answer as it may help me.

My understanding is VNAV will descend to the altitude of the FAF (or selected altitude, whichever is higher). In order to descend below the FAF along the GP (glidepath), you also need to arm APR before reaching the FAF. Same sequence as if you were doing an ILS approach to follow the GS (glideslope) down past the FAF.

SUSP means that the automatic sequencing of waypoints is suspended. In order to proceed to the next waypoint, press the SUSP softkey (was OBS) on the PFD.

How to remove old navdata form expired Navigraph subscription? Thanks.

Uninstall using NavData NavCenter. Restart sim.

1 Like

Thanks. This thing is really finicky. If you don’t do the right things at the right times, it doesn’t seem to work. I managed to get it to work once this afternoon, but I wasn’t taking notes, and when I tried to replicate that flight again, I messed up and couldn’t get it to do its thing at FAF. I was arming APR at FAF, so maybe that was my mistake.

For those interested in support and other related and useful information, check out the Working Title Discord nxi-early-access.

It’s a far better channel to learn and discuss issues with the developers, instrument experts and even a few irl pilots onboard.

1 Like

Follow these instructions:

Dont’ forget to remove the content.xml file

You don’t need to remove it if you don’t want to. You can manually edit the line to remove the Navigraph entry. But removing I will work as the sim recreates it.

It’s probably way easier than your imagination is making it out to be.

Step 1- Get to your cruise altitude.
Step 2- If you know the approach you’re going to use/be assigned, load (but do not activate) it. If you don’t know, just put in a reasonable guess.
Step 3- On your MFD, press the FPL button, and you will see several waypoints towards the end of your flight with altitudes pre-selected. These are based on either the STAR, approach, or both that you have selected.
Step 4- In your altitude pre-selector (which will vary by aircraft, but it will usually be a dial in the Autopilot panel, or on the instrument panel itself), input the lowest altitude shown in the FPL view.
Step 5- Hit the VNAV button.
Step 6- Sit back and let your autopilot do the descent for you. Make sure you properly monitor your throttle so that you don’t overspeed during descent, or get to slow when leveling off for intermediate altitudes.

Now, if you are under ATC control, you can’t do that, otherwise the plane may decide to descend before you have been cleared to do so. Instead, when given a descent, put that altitude into the pre-selector, use flight level change or vertical speed mode to achieve greater than about 1,000 fpm descent, and after making your original choice, then hit VNAV. The plane will descend on your selected mode until reaching the VPATH, at which it will change over.

You may have to do that several times if ATC lets you sit at an altitude for too long.

When your next waypoint is the iaf, then you can activate the approach. Doing so sooner will cause all intermediate waypoints to be skipped and the plane with fly direct to the iaf. I generally wait until I’m on a rough intercept course for an ILS to hit approach mode, but for a GPS approach, really anytime after loading the approach will work.

I’m writing this from memory, so if you try it and it doesn’t work, I’ll actually fly one to figure out where I made a mistake and update from there.

Good luck!

Kev

3 Likes

I noticed the relative terrain display disappears when on ground. I think this is the same bug which plagues every MSFS aircraft. The TAWS / GPWS system should be inhibited on ground, the terrain display system should remain active however.

The G1000 NXi, like all default MSFS aircraft suffers from this weird autopilot roll axis bug where the AP steers opposite when giving manual roll input e.g. when steering to the left the in-sim yoke can be seen moving to the right by the autopilot. The ailerons are following the joystick however so the in-sim yoke which is driven in opposite direction to the control input is a dumm.y with nothing attached to it.

So you should be surrounded by red?

Depending on the terrain yes. Took this one from Google, its relatively standard for most terrain displays. The C172 for example isn’t even able to determine if its on ground or not due to the lack of a weight-on-wheel system and radio altimeter.

Disclaimer, I’m not 100% familiar with the G1000NXi, flew early G1000 some 10 years ago but pretty sure the terrain display is not supposed to disappear on ground. At least I have never flown an aircraft where this was standard behavior.

1 Like

That picture certainly doesn’t reflect the terrain colours in the Garmins.
In the garmins only red terrain is terrain you will fly into. You can still clear yellow terrain, but you will be mowing the grass, so to speak.

It depends on if we are in the air or on the ground. These are the terrain legends for the C172 G1000Nxi (some particular SW revision). On the ground red is anything more than 400 ft above you. In the air red is anything from 100 ft below and up. Several other functions also depend on whether the aircraft is on the ground or in the air, but I could not quickly find a description for how its air/ground mode sensing works.

Corollary: If there is no terrain more than 400 ft AFL the terrain display will indeed go black upon landing… But that is a special case, not a general behavior.

1 Like

I appreciate your posting of flight plans and your results. It helps me to try the flight plan myself comparing my results with yours, learning a lot about the G1000Nxi and RNAV approaches.

ATC clears me for the approach via RISPE and has me descend to 3,000 ft. I activate the approach and I fly towards RISPE from wherever I am at. When I turn at IFAFY, I press APPR on the autopilot. The glidepath is captured and the approach is successfully flown to DA.

I am starting to understand VNAV. I was having a problem creating a vertical path during descent using VS. The airspeed would drop to meet the VS I entered, but it would drop below stall speed resulting in an unsuccessful approach. I am now using FLC to control descent. I can get to the target airspeed for landing without stalling.

You’re welcome. I use my Logitech multi panel to descend when I’m on AP and the Logitech throttle quadrant to control airspeed. I’ve never actually messed around with FLC. I’ve been spending a lot of time on the Discord NXi discussion thread. Some really expert people always seem to be available over there to respond to questions in real time. I just joined Discord this week. If you go to the Working Title “packages” page and scroll down, you’ll see an “invitation” to join the discussions there relating to Working Title mods, and so forth. It’s really worth it to join.

I don’t know if I’m missing something but I loaded a flight today (first time since SU5, first time using the NXi) and the waypoints don’t load in order. It loads the destination first then waypoints. Am I missing something?
Also I deleted the G1000 NXi from the content manager so I could complete the flight with the autopilot actually following the FP, loaded the flight and had a CTD. I saw in another post someone had a similar issue after deleting the NXi, anyone else had issues?