World map no longer gives distance or time estimates between arrival/departure locations?

So lately the world map has stopped showing any info on distance or travel time between arrival/departure locations. Not terribly convenient for flight planning. Anyone else seeing this?

Thank you for your post! Your topic has been moved to a subcategory of General Discussion & Community Support. The General Discussion category is meant for discussions that fall outside of our other sub-categories.

Please check out these other categories for your future posts:

• Aircraft
    is where you discuss current or future planes coming to MSFS.
  • World
    is where you discuss scenery, airports, and weather.
  • Aviate, Navigate, Communicate
    is where you ask for help with flying.
  • Tech Talk
    is where you discuss graphics, drivers, performance, CTDs, and hardware.
  • Menus & Activities
    is where you discuss activities (landing challenges, bush trips, etc), plus anything accessed by the menus including the Marketplace, settings, logbook, cameras, etc.

I feel like this has always been an issue, of inconsistency. Sometimes it shows it, sometimes it doesn’t. Makes no sense.

2 Likes

Whenever you can see that information on the World map, could you please take a screenshot and post it here so that we can see where that information is shown ?, I don’t remember having seen that functionality but I don’t use too much the flight planner so I may have missed it.

I found a related topic reporting the issue for the flight time only:

1 Like

I’ll try to remember!

1 Like

I usually see it, but normally have to zoom out slightly & scroll the map to about the center point of the flight plan. Time and distance shown.
I grab a shot when I can(maybe try for a vid clip).

1 Like

Sometimes it shows, sometimes it doesn’t, it makes its own mind up and I’ve not found any way to flip it, other than restart. Just another very annoying minor UX bug. If there isn’t already a bug topic for it then one should be created.

2 Likes

I don’t see that bug reported in the bug\ User Interface & Online Activities section. Someone should report it there as a Flight Planner issue.

I get this regularly. Not a major issue if using Simbrief but it’s annoying when planning VFR flights.

Yes, this is an ongoing bug. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn’t!

1 Like

Yeah, it’s just as inconsistent as the freezing that happens about half the time after setting a new waypoint. Where you also need to wait and click various things and at some point it becomes unfrozen again. I can’t wait to see this bug again in 2024 :smiley:

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve noticed lately that it doesn’t show that info, most of the time…

Yes the map freezing is also really annoying, but if you press ESC to exit the map and then select world map again it will be unstuck, so at least that has a workaround.

These things have been broken for as long as I can remember, they were broken on xbox and they are still broken on PC. There’s many of these small bugs that are just never fixed but really affect the quality of the experience.

Someone asked for a screenshot of how it’s supposed to look. Here’s two. When you select low or high altitude you’ll get three choices to select from.

2 Likes

Tried a few times today. Different locations. Always showed Distance/Time.
Also can’t remember the world map ever being stuck.

For those having issues, Have you ever installed any world map mods or anything similar?

1 Like

And here it is when it doesn’t show any time/distance info. So great for flight planning :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I’ve never heard of a world map mod, and as I said I had the world map issues on xbox as well. Certainly the freezing one happened very regularly, I think the labelling one happened as well.

So I’ve finally figured out what seems to be a reliable workaround to make the the flight distance and time reappear on the world map.

1. Arrange the flight and sometimes I get the distance marker and sometimes not.
  2. ESC to go back to exit world map.
  3. Re-enter world map, flight is still there, marker still missing.
  4. Change to a different aircraft, then change back to the original aircraft.
  5. Distance marker has now reappeared.

I’ve had this a bunch of times now and it seems to consistently work. You need to exit the world map before switching the aircraft or it doesn’t reliably work.

This is annoying, but the workaround takes less than 10 seconds so it’s not a big problem.

1 Like

Oh wow thanks!

It’s not affected me ever until recently and I think almost always outside of the US (Europe is where I first experienced this).

Anyway, I haven’t tried it but will keep this. Looks like it’s the workaround. :+1:

I finally found a related bug report, you can contribute there:

1 Like