World Update II: USA incoming

Sorry @EvidencePlz, it’s not created in this pack it seems. Here’s a pic of what I see.

1 Like

I think you have this reversed.

1 Like

CBCDES… there are more airport ID’s in the US than the rest of the world COMBINED. There are also the most pilots, aircraft and aviation infrastructure in the US than anywhere else on the planet. In other words, despite Europe having more people, more currancy, time, and manufactoring is spent on aviation by the Americans than anyone else.

Also, the US is the single richest country in the world, based on GDP. Not bad for a country which has less people than Europe.

2 Likes

No, not bad at all but not really relevant in terns of market share and where customers are based for FS.

1 Like

Really? Irrelevant?? that’s your reply? I hope to god you don’t make corporate business decisions.

I mean, why market your product to the people most interested in it, and the most able to buy it?

better watch out, you might make some money.

I think people need to manage their expectations with this update, if it’s anything like Japan you’ll get a few new buildings and bridges and a better scenery mesh.

Its a cheap product and plenty of people in lots of other countries with far bigger populations can afford to buy it and probably have. Direct me to an official statistic from MS that shows that more sales have been made in the USA for the product than any other trading region including the EU if you can but I suspect as if often the case, sales outside the US are probably significantly higher.

Can be but if most of the fruits of that high GDP are mainly in the hands of a happy few, as is the case with the US, then I am very happy to be in Europe. And there are probably a lot more people in Europe who simply can afford to buy a product like this AND spend time on it due to more normal working hours and holidays.

2 Likes

I thought this interview was very reassuring. They are obviously listening to everyone’s feedback and fully committed to making the sim great. I think they should have an interview like this every month around the time of each update, so that they can go through the new features / bugs that were improved, and then acknowledge some of the other things that have been brought up in the forums and that they are working on. The more transparency and communication, the better. I think people will be more than willing to be patient as long as they know their feedback is being heard and acted on.

2 Likes

Many users from the USA and Europe would love to fly in Asia or Africa. The point is that in previous versions there were not many addons and the default scnery always looked like ■■■■. Users like me are looking for adventure and would love to fly VFR in scenic environment to tiny bush strips in Tanzania and Indonesia.

1 Like

Microsoft wants to grow their market in Japan. Their biggest markets are in the USA, Europe, and Australia. So I imagine those will get the early focus, just to please and grow their user base. Just good business.

I too want Hawaii to get some work. Especially water masking as it looks so good from the sky IRL, and also hopefully Honolulu will get the photogrammetry treatment (cool if they could get some smaller towns too but…). The land detail for Hawaii is already pretty impressive but the elevation mesh could get a little more specific like Japan.

The reason the USA gets so much photogrammetry is simple. Microsoft is a US company, and Bing himself was from the States. That’s where their whole map thing started. They spent a lot more time and money on mapping that area before this sim even came out.

3 Likes

When I see Bing maps, I notice also references to TomTom which is a Dutch company…

1 Like

I have to agree with @mattdsoares. This is a guesstimate, but I’d bet 80% of the buyers of this product are US based, of course that’s going to be the geography that gets the most attention.

For example, the Japan update is absolutely spectacular, but after the intro flight, I may never fly there again, at least until I get a real long haul study-level airliner and start doing trans-Pacific flights. Of course, I usually just let those run in the background for the hours and hours it takes to cross the pond anyway.

Having said that, I might do some more flying there just BECAUSE they did such a spectacular job on it.

KevyKevTPA
PP, ASEL, IA

I reckon maybe 50% are US users, there are a lot of people in Europe on MSFS - I mean you only have to look at how much scenery has already been created for Europe to see that there’s a fairly substantial user base.

1 Like

Meh. No matter where they choose there are going to be butthurt fans. Everyone thinks their little corner of the world that they live in or are interested in is the most important. Lots of players in the US, lots of available data to scoop up and implement. Understandable.

1 Like

True. And Japan makes sense, too, when you consider the impending release of the new Xbox, and the potential user base there because of that. But I’m not doing consoles anymore for anything, so that’s not on the list of things I personally care about, or really even think about.

World update 3 --> Australia (must be). Just saying.

The Xbox release will generate a huge revenue for Microsoft, no doubt substantially dwarfing what they made from the PC community. However, I imagine PC users will stick with it for longer than Xbox users and are more likely to buy third party add-ons.

Oh, for sure. I don’t see your average Xbox user sitting on the couch surrounded by nav maps and approach plates, or spending any time at all with such minituia as flight planning and other “pointless” stuff. But I’m OK with all of that, the money keeps the devs fed and working on improvements and updates for years to come, I’m hoping!

I just hope there’s some way to segregate serious simmers from 12-year-olds who think it’s funny to make their reg nr “FARRTS” in multiplayer environments. Maybe even completely separate PC and Xbox MP worlds entirely.

1 Like

The Xbox angle is probably why they have limited the marketplace so much. On PC, there’s precedence in doing something more like steam workshop rather than what we have now. A slow moving marketplace with developers they hand pick.

1 Like