World Update United Kingdom

World Update United Kingdom

Desireables.

1/ Rural buildings. Ground floor and 1st upper storey maximum. NO office buildings in farmyards
Exceptions.
Cardington Airship Hangars.
Blenheim Palace.
Cooling towers and chimneys.
Blackpool Tower.

2/ Shorter trees. Less dense woodland.

3/ Rivers to scale.

4/ Canals to scale. No sloping canals. Canals not overflowing fields.

5/ More visible railway lines.

6/ Grass runways short grass.

7/ Provincial airfields. Tower ATC where Tower ATC is due.

8/ Church spires. They are a Nav Aid.

9/ British Telecom relay towers. Aerials. Radio telescopes and radar placements.

10/ We drive on the left.

26 Likes

I can really get behind that one.

19 Likes

They should add to their fauna list as well. Imagine all the sheep they could add in Wales.

12 Likes

Well you can have a few of my sheep for a start :wink: And yes I live in the Welsh hills

12 Likes

I’ll be right over with my wellington boots. Get 'em ready!

6 Likes

I’m hoping for a bit of an upgrade in general for the topology, specifically around the coast, we have some great coastline in the UK and the slightly melted look doesn’t do it justice.

As another resident of Wales a few sheep and cattle in our farms wouldn’t go a miss either.

6 Likes

I’m really happy to hear the UK is getting attention. I’m basing much of my upcoming FS Academy - VFR in the UK in anticipation of some great scenery.

4 Likes

Agree on all the points… the tree generation needs to reflect what types of trees we have…to me it all looks like fir trees. Definately need churches and farms. And definately need the cost lines fixed. Good shout on the Canals!

2 Likes

I agree with all that has been said so far. We need more detailed buildings in our city centres. Nottingham, for example, has a great centre with the Council House and colonnaded shop fronts around the Old Market Square. Some of our cities are also quite hilly not just flat.

1 Like

I’m ■■■■-a-hoop that we are getting a tailored Barton (EGCB), would love to see some attention to Oxford Kidlington, its a bit basic at the moment.

Could we have the static display aircraft at Wellsbourne Mountford (Vulcan) and all the ones at Duxford?

Blackpool tower and pleasure beach, spruce up the Lakedistrict and could Manchester have a tickle, would be great to see Beetham Tower (that big Hilton Building) as you come into land at MCR.

Other than that all the other things in the posts above… nothing too much lads. See what you can do!

Cheerio!

2 Likes

Really?? Its deleted a word - OK Cockahoop - is that better?

3 Likes

There’s a Oxford Kidlington here - https://flightsim.to/file/171/egtk-oxford-airport

And a Barton here - https://flightsim.to/file/3302/egcb-barton

And a very good Wellsbourne here - https://flightsim.to/file/1191/egbw-wellesbourne-mountford-airfield

I think people are expecting way too much myself. The US update had some nice models dumped in their usual sludgy surroundings with no more effort made.

Better autogen buildings will make a big difference. I’m interested to see how much effect new terrain data has. Beyond that I don’t expect that much of a transformation.

6 Likes

Not quite true. Unfortunately around the country lanes in Essex many people drive in the centre of the road. It would be nice if the sim could model the resultant crashes.

Speaking generally, the British Isles have got a surprisingly large variation for such a small land area, in terms of natural as well as man-made scenery. I hope they model this accurately for location as well as style - as many have pointed out, concrete monstrosities are not present in villages, nor are thatched cottages present in London town centre. Some towns (e.g. Lavenham or Stratford) are packed full of tudor houses, which would be decidedly out of place in the Scottish highlands, or amongst the mole-hills (:blush:) of Wales. Stone (rather than brick) buildings abound in the Cotswold hills, etc. Cathedrals (and churches) they have already referred to in the Q&A, and these really are a major feature of the landscape.

One thing I wouldn’t mind them leaving out, though, are the electricity pylons (even if they help in VFR). Ugly is not the word for them, so this is one place where realism can go out of the window.

5 Likes

Absolutely. The coastlines are truely horrible at the moment. White Cliffs of Dover, Beachy Head, Isle of Wight, Jurassic Coast, Lizard Peninsula, Lands End, Bedruthan Steps … all missing. And that’s just the highlights between Kent and Cornwall.

And sheep are a quintessential part of the British (and Irish) landscape. England, Wales or Scotland without sheep is like Bavaria without beer. :smiley:

5 Likes

Don’t forget the bridges, I’ve haven’t looked at the Humber/Severn but all three Forth Bridges are effectively missing. The two Road bridges exist as flat roads on supports and the Rail bridge is missing completely - one of the engineering wonders of the world!

3 Likes
4 Likes

Thanks! :slight_smile:

I am releasing Bush Trips that circumnavigate Scotland and just done up past Edinburgh. I’ll add notes to the release for people to go grab them!

3 Likes

I’m keeping my expectations low.

That’ll be good to see the natives in their natural habitat.

Rather than in England, I mean. :smirk:

Don’t forget hedges, lots of hedges and stone walls…

5 Likes