WU6 is awesome for me so far, anyone happy like me?

Aside from the very frustrating and tedious update process (had to restart MSFS about 10 times to progress to the end because it kept hanging while downloading and extracting packages), the sim is the best it has ever been.

The performance is amazing, since SU5 I can finally run VR smoothly in all areas, and I don’t feel like visuals have been downgraded in any noticeable way. It’s actually the other way around, due to the performance boost SU5 gave I was able to push my settings from low/medium to high/ultra, which has massively improved visuals for me.

After SU5 the drawing distance was bugged, but that has been fixed and I can see details further to the horizon than I’ve ever seen. LOD Pop in when turning my head is fixed. Anti Aliasing is exactly the same as it has always been, aside from the UI elements. I’ve not seen any over exposure of clouds or sky yet, to me exposure looks perfectly fine.

The hand crafted POIs of WU6 are amazing. Additional Photogrammetry is great, finally I can see Wuppertal, the town where I grew up, in nice 3D. Generic towns in Germany also look amazing and if you don’t know them, it’s practically impossible to tell they’re not photogrammetry from more than about 3000ft altitude.

I would never want to back to the state that MSFS was before SU5/WU6. Remember when everyone raged about the tree draw distance bug before SU5? Yeah, those are the same people who now say: “give me back SU4”, “It’s not the sim I initially paid for anymore” or “They downgraded everything to make it work on a stupid console”. They just forgot that they’ve already moaned about SU4, 3, 2, 1 and the initial release version for various reasons. And once SU6 arrives, they will find new things to be angry about instead of just enjoying the state of MSFS as it is.

Also, there are quite a lot of people who say something like “stop adding content and fix the bugs”. Don’t they realize that the people who work on content aren’t the same that fix the bugs? Someone who’s a 3D artist and can create amazingly detailed aircraft and POI models will most likely not be able to fix the altitude bug, and a software developer who can fix the altitude bug would probably make a terrible job in modeling the cologne cathedral.

I’m not saying there aren’t severe bugs that need fixing, like the night lighting and ATC altitude which still seems to be an issue, or the messed up reflections in VR. Some bugs may even be game breaking or need major workarounds for a small amount of users (compared to the very large user base), and I feel sad for them, because I know how frustrating this can be if the software you liked doesn’t work for your specific use case anymore and you can’t to anything about it other than not using the software.

But personally, I do enjoy MSFS more than ever.

14 Likes

So far mostly please…got a couple of CTDs when starting a flight that had been saved …happened twice…after exiting the program twice…it worked the third time. Otherwise I am very pleased.

I checked Wuppertal, but it does not seem to be photogrammetric, all generic and neither does this Fernmeldeturm Wuppertal-Westfalenweg look like this…

Did you download WU6 from the market place? Is photogrammetry enabled? You can see how beautiful Uellendahl looks from the images in my post. The radio tower Westfalenweg in my screenshots is from the addon TV/Communications Towers Germany » Microsoft Flight Simulator

1 Like

Yes, I completely agree! This is the best update thus far. No CTDs where I used to have many, especially when loading an airport. And really little to no performance penalty despite the new pre-cache setting set to ultra! It makes a world of difference. And just as importantly, the clouds are BACK!

The one thing that I simply cannot ignore is the incredible amount of value and support for the sim. These scenery updates really do offer value, and I can’t think of another game where there’s such a constant influx of added content for free. Way to go Asobo. And there are so many third party add-ons as well that really make this such a vibrant platform to fly in.

Honestly, I feel that there’s already more content than I’ll ever be able to explore fully, and that feeling of choice is just awesome.

Way to go Asobo! At least for me, you’ve done it again and created something really special. One year into this platform, and I’m as hooked as I was on day one due to your tremendous support of the game and it’s community. :raised_hands:t2:

6 Likes

Just took the discovery tour in the Alps in VR. Flew around the matterhorn area. Gotta say this looked truely awesome!

2 Likes

yes, Marketplace, all enabled, but Xbox.
May be a server glitch like from time to time?

Checked Drachenfels as well, the castle/Ruine looks nice, but all the trees are f**ked and flat? strange.

Yes, great update for me too! The update process went smoothly, and the sim runs amazingly.

It’s good to see positive posts like this. When reading other comments here I sometimes wonder if we’re playing the same game. A particularly funny one was a guy talking about how big disaster this game is, and how everything is about to implode for Asobo. And here the rest of us are enjoying the hell out of this game with only few minor issues.

5 Likes

Also for me the update has fixed some problems and I think he looks much better again. It is fun to fly again. Thanks a lot!! :blush:

1 Like

Great update. One of the best so far.

2 Likes

The Frankfurt POI buildings sadly don’t blend well with the photogrammetry as they were designed to be used with the generic buildings. I wonder why they did not use the photogrammetry for these buildings? Right now it is not very enjoyable and distracting.

1 Like

I just did the update to WU6. All went smooth, took just 25 mins on a 250MBit connection.
Test flight will follow this evening!

Getting better.
No complaints so far…

Thanks Asobo

This is a new one…

Happy af. Impressed.

Played on both Xbox Series X, Series S and PC and happy on all the platforms.

after it was obviously a bit messy, I recreated that offline cache, FS2020 hung, restart, photogrammetry is now as it should be. only flight book entries from today were wiped :frowning:

now all trees are back, Wuppertal looks very authentic, even the deep “sees” from Kalkwerke Wülfrath are stunning now!

1 Like

Actually a good update for me, made 2 night flights last night, KDFW down to KTPL and then flew over to KIAH. No CTD’s, night lighting looked ok to me, I’ve got render scaling set at 100. ILS into KTPL and KIAH in the King Air with no problems at all. So far I’m very satisfied with the update. Oh this was on PC, haven’t tried Xbox yet :slight_smile:

Anyone else get hung on this screen while creating a manual cache?

Been about an hour now. Not sure if I should force quit, or let it keep rolling to see if it finishes…

yes, have seen this, went up to 100% then waiting forever. simply kill/restart it.

2 Likes