XPlane has Nothing to worry about

X-Plane is dead. They missed the opportunity to do the jump to the next generation of Flightsims when they had it.

5 years for a bad Vulcan implementation, Building-graphics that are made by a retard and never been redesigned, an org-store run by a moron and a general technical implementation which is outdated for years.

So nope. It was a nice to have neat flightsim, but they clearly missed any opportunity they had.

17 Likes

It all depends on your intended use. As an arcade game with pretty graphics, FS2020 is superb. But as an instructional flight simulator, XP11 is far superior, even without add-ons.

7 Likes

Hello,

I must now agree, perfect trick was G1000 good functionality from scratch but I must say as also XP11 user and HotStart TBM900 user for long time that XP11 is simulator but also with itā€™s own bugs that FS2020 hasnā€™t now. This is true. Iā€™ve never update XP higher than 11.36r2 because of tons of bugs and disfunctional of my owned addons. Is nice to have new functionality but with careful look to history. Also in this time I set my controls after some days carefuly (and had C182 in my hands) I can say that C172 and some other planes feel really ok to me but this is my own opinion of course.

2 Likes

Austin, shouldnā€™t you be working on your Vulkan release instead of trolling these forums under your secret account?

13 Likes

I like the words you used, ā€˜Operateā€™. What is a simulator for you? or Why is something called simulator?

Iā€™m not sure who you think I am. Iā€™m not Austin, nor do I know who that is. Iā€™m simply expressing my opinion as a flight instructor the usability of FS2020 as a flight simulator. Iā€™m enjoying FS2020 for what it is, a $59 game, and really hope it improves with time.

2 Likes

Troll. I can smell trolls.

9 Likes

Yeah, this thread is going to get heated real quick.

I want to love both MSFS2020 and X-plane, but unfortunately Microsoft/Asobo has made it extremely hard for me to love MSFS2020.

As I expected, MSFS2020 is an outstanding VFR flight sim when your priority is sight seeing and you are flying a general aviation aircraft. But if falls very short of expectations for any one that prioritizes airliners and/or IFR flight using real-world IFR procedures.

Also, even as a VFR sim, it has a lot of issues ā€“ like NYC not rendering for many people (including me) and the autogen/procedural airports have serious problems. Everything from runways that accidentally ā€œbumped upā€ to follow the autogen terrain contour, to parked cars and aircraft on the active runway. Sorry, but unless you are flying to/from the flagship airports, you are going to give x-plane the win for more complete modelling of real world airports. I am sure there are some, but I certainly havenā€™t run into any airports that are in x-plane and not usable.

But back to IFRā€¦ it is fine if you setup your flight and choose ā€œIFRā€ and choose your departing and arriving runways ā€“ and then fly the route that the system pre-populates. But being able to manage the flight plan, and specifically change arrival runway/procedures, is extremely problematic. According to news sources, Microsoft plans to partner with VATSIM. VATSIM will not be embracing this simulator any time soon. A simulator that doesnā€™t support true IFR has no place on VATSIM. You donā€™t pick your runway when you define your flight. That changes based on wind, local conditions, traffic, emergencies, etc.

Airliners are so bad they should have been omitted. The A320 isnā€™t too bad, except there doesnā€™t appear to even be a way to enter arrival/approaches. You can at leats do that on the garmin 1000 equipped aircraft, except it is extremely buggy (and will cause a crash, at least on the C172).

Once you get to normal cruise altitude for any aircraft, MSFS2020 turns into pretty much the equivalent of x-plane in terms of scenery. Well, I should say x-plane with forkboy orthos (free). And if your x-plane has Orbx scenery, well, then there is a lot less of a divide between scenery quality in x-plane vs MSFS2020.

But people will say, it is unfair to compare ā€œextrasā€ in x-plane and base package in MSFS. But Iā€™d say no ā€“ not free extras ā€“ and MSFS 2020 has ā€œextrasā€ to bring you the VFR scenery it amazes you with. It just happens to be included.

Now, I am not saying MSFS2020 is useless, or hopeless, But from my view, it has a lot more work to do to get where it needs to be to be a complete flight sim, and x-plane has a lot less work to do in XP12 to match or even beat MSFS2020.

The fact that XP has just gotten a rendering upgrade to ride on Vulkan puts it in a very strong position to compete with MSFS2020.

MSFS2020 does some neat tricks. You donā€™t have to spend time downloading and color correcting orthos. But, you pay for that in bandwidth consumption.

Then there is what I call ā€œtessellation on steroidsā€ ā€“ the procedural ā€œbumping upā€ of the othro scenery. At about 3000 feet down to 1000 feet, it looks really good. Below that, it looks like minecraft.

Then there is photogrammetry, where they have taken photos of many (but not all) cities and algorithmicly build the buildings.

Then there is the autogen ā€“ which should not be surprising to say, MSFS 2020 does a better job at this than x-plane. Especially when you consider that MSFS will autogen buildings, then trees on top of that, so that it ends up looking real. The trees are of species that are appropriate for the locale, and are appropriately dense, high resolutions, and can over hang streets and buildings. Iā€™d say that autogen is the lowest hanging fruit area where XP12 should focus.

As far as weather and clouds, I havenā€™t seen anything yet in MSFS2020 that is significantly better than built-in weather/clouds in x-plane. But Iā€™d guess that seasonal support is built in.

In terms of flight model, while MSFS2020 is not that far off, I give the win to x-plane.

Then there is VR ā€“ in x-plane now and stable. ā€œOn the roadmapā€ in MSFS.

Built-in ATC, the win goes to MSFS2020 even though the ATC in MSFS is extremely limited and buggy. It is still way above the joke that the x-plane built-in ATC is.

I should say, I have been flying simulators since about 1986 with most of that time in some form of Microsoft flight sim. I long to be back ā€œhomeā€ too. But it was their issue that they shut down their sim operations for a decade plus, and that something else carried the genre forward ā€“ and did a really good job at it ā€“ and now the bar is set fairly high.

They did a good job seeing the bar for VFR and general aircraft was ā€œbeatableā€ and did that fairly well. But they pretty much ignored a lot of aspects of flight simulation which, in my view, bring it into serious question as to whether or not it is a truly a flight simulator.

If they had called it Microsoft VFR Flight Simulator, that would have been very appropriate.

19 Likes

If you use a shallow and narrow description of MSFS 2020 being a $59.00 game to you then I get your point. However, stating that will have many people disregarding the point you are trying to make.

2 Likes

heh Iā€™ll give to FS2020 same time as XP11 had from itā€™s start to this time. I can compare that from 2018 to this time and I hope that FS2020 beat XP11 visually without doubts. Simply XP11ā€™s strong feature is flight model and huge amount of flight refs which logically wins but also after spend 2 years with XP11 Iā€™ll be carefully with excellent flight feeling. Again, my advantage is that also can compare real with sim.

Dont have to much hope about xplane 12. See what new features we got besides bug fixes in the entire xp11 run in updates, let me sum it up.
1.Vulkan
2.VR
3.Particle system
4.some fmod sounds
5.Autogen

5 things in 5 years.

Xplane will never reach the fidelity of ms2020.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve loved X Planeā€™s third party aircraft and airports, but even at this early stage of MSFS20ā€™s launch, I find it difficult to go back to XPā€“even the Toliss Airbus. I think by December/January when the high-quality tubeliners hit MS20, it will require a great improvement in XP12ā€™s atmosphere/WX and ortho to tempt me back.

2 Likes

Honestly they feel better than X-Plane. The dynamic camera may change how they appear though

3 Likes

I feel sad about XP guys which are very strong developers and did perfect support to their product but FS2020 is here. I remember that ideas wenn first pictures came, that was very dificult to be quit. simply development of Xp must continue and if this product can fight with oposition, it must have also visual quality. termins like perfect for IFR do not that trick, people also want visual feeling As real as it gets, also mean with flight dynamics. For me really sad for them and good luck with hard work. Simply if I saw that they want implement what they want and first beta releases started with bugs, I set over. Flew on 11.36r2 and only update via Navigraph all what I need but with still existing bugs which then canā€™t be solved. Thatā€™s trueā€¦

2 Likes

People need to stop trying to justify the thousands of dollars they put in X-Plane or FSX, you had a good time itā€™s time to move on, theyā€™re both dead sims, not even close to MFS.

Once Asobo give us a better AP, improved G1000 and better airliners it will be better in all aspects.

17 Likes

Alright, back to DCS. I really tried but this sight seeing simulator is not for me.

2 Likes

You should never call anyone a ā€œretardā€. That was very disrespectful.

13 Likes

Cant improve perfection

:joy::joy::joy: love the sarcasm

Both have benefits and drawbacks.

I know that having a strong angry opinion about everything is popular these days but here we are.

4 Likes