Your bandwidth is too low (February/March/April 2023)

To be less intrusive, MS / Asobo should allow users to disable the messages about network connections that the user has no control over anyway, and which interrupt flight.

Instead, I wish they would use a more informative system for example: Use the GamerTag in the upper right to show the status of the various online services… If something goes offline it’s usually apparent visually anyway - we don’t need a giant pop up message, and can’t do anything anyway. Let us look at the status if we want.

Also, provide details, and most importantly, MSFS should be reporting connection issues to MS / Asobo first, so they can see patterns of problems and fix them. Telling the user just breaks immersion, and MS never knows their servers are an issue.

Mock up for suggestion / example purposes only:

5 Likes

I have really had it.
Every flight since a week I have the bandwidth error.
I am done with it…

2 Likes

I have really had it.
Every flight since a week I have the bandwidth error.
I am done with it…

Another topic already voted to 400 here.
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/low-bandwidth-message-connection-lost-switched-offline/464121/1061

3 Likes

Even better would be a Network Toolbar icon that would allow users to see the connection status of the various MSFS online services. Of course, MSFS should be reporting any connection issues to Asobo and Microsoft so that they can see patterns of server-related issues, in order to make improvements.

Sometimes a user’s internet connection is down - but sometimes it’s just one or another Microsoft server. Distinguishing between those two scenarios is not difficult, if Asobo just built in some network checking and a simple on screen window like this:

8 Likes

That is actually great idea and nice mockup you did there. Could also integrate a reconnection button into that window, so you can do that on the fly and not just in the pause menu.

Thanks - but I think the logic should just be designed better to automatically do a few things:

1. If there is a particular server connection issue, report it automatically to MS / Asobo
  2. For any service, have a graceful fallback so the user can keep flying
  3. Automatically handle connect / disconnect - it’s not the pilot’s job, it’s Asobo’s job
  4. Only if all services are unreachable, suggest troubleshooting steps to the user.
5 Likes
  • Whatever the Source of the Connection Issues -

YES - WE STEP AWAY SOMETIMES DURING THE SIM - ESPECIALLY WITH AP ACTIVATED.

THIS SIM FREEZING POPUP RUINED COUNTLESS SESSIONS FOR ME AND OTHERS.

PLEASE Asobo / DEVELOPERS - CHANGE THIS BACK TO NON-INTRUSIVE LITTLE NOTIFICATIONS THAT DO N O T F R E E Z E / STOP THE SIM.

You had it right Before the ‘Updates’. Connection reestablished - everything loading in again.

( AND ALSO do NOT Auto-Disable ‘BING DATA WORLD GRAPHICS’ and 'PHOTOGRAMMETRY as a Result of Connection Issues )

Thank You.

10 Likes

Leaving them enabled, but non-functional would be better. When the system recovers it would hopefully automatically enable those features, not leaving them disabled requiring manually turning them back on again.

6 Likes

I noticed something strange: FS does not only has a snailspeed download, but even when exited, it keeps ruining my download speed. I need to reboot to get my system in order again. Until … I start FS again.Soms detailks next:

As many other users, I have the same problem. My FS was messed up because throttle was strange and I could not get that straightened out. I saw that my internal SSD drive was at 90% full so I decided to do a complete reinstall on a fast usb ssd usb3 gen 2 2Tb device after asking a Lenova tech if that was a good option.

But downloading was extremely slow: 3-5 Mbps. Because I thought the usb ssd might be causing the trouble, I stopped downloading and installing after 24 hours or so and decided to install the sim op my 1 TB 7200rpm conventional internal hd. But soon found out thet the download was exactly as slow as on the usb device. So the device wasn’t the problem. So decided to install on the usb anyway. Took 3 days plus another day for the world updates and finally I could run the sim. Well: LOW BANDWITH message. Afer flying in the same area a coupple of times everything seemed to be ok finally.

But every change of departure airport got me in the same trouble. Tried several mentioned solutions, nothing helped. Finally I tried speedtest from my ISP seriously. I ran speedtest: all was fine, 600Mbps download. The moment I started FS however the download dropped to that 5 Mbps, even if the sim was fast enough because I was flying in previously downloaded areas. Even exiting FS did NOT bring back my download speed, checked by speed test. Strange: FS didn’t really download anything, wasn’t even running but killed the doenloadspeed anyway. Rebooting windows 11 gave and speedtest was fine again, But the moment I ran FS it all was back to snailspeed.

I thought I’d mention this here, though I do not know what is causing the trouble. I think is must be FS.

One more thought: I don’t think it is a server capacity problem. I think it is a serious FS software problem in connection to strange windows behaviour A problem that should not be possible since Windows (11 22H2) should not let apps destroy a running system.

Gerard

2 Likes

I had no problems for about a week (no matter what time of the day I flew). And now it’s starting all over again.

(btw my connection is always fine, even with msfs running)

It not the right way to pseudo fix something buggy (the assumed bad connection message) by disabling the reason a message could appear (the online mode)…

PLS DONT DISABLE ONLINE BING DATA … is ruins everything… thats how the sim looks like when asobo auto-fixing disables it… and you cant turn it back on because it forces a CTD… it sooooo f*****

1 Like

I suspect it disabled bing imagery because it genuinely did lose contact. But when I have seen this happen myself, rarely, turning it back on again has worked. Even a tiny outage will turn it off sometimes.

I have no chance to turn it on… it CTD instantly.

Fehlerbucket 2285944949597019760, Typ 5
Ereignisname: MoAppCrash
Antwort: Nicht verfügbar
CAB-Datei-ID: 0

Problemsignatur:
P1: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.30.12.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
P2: praid:App
P3: 1.30.12.0
P4: 63c56d8f
P5: FlightSimulator.exe
P6: 1.30.12.0
P7: 63c56d8f
P8: c0000005
P9: 00000000027c8466
P10:

This Bandwidth Issue is back again, it totally kills my FS experience. Please fix it, Asobo. It is definitely not related to my actual bandwidth which is very good. The priority on Asobo should be the creation of a robust simulation platform rather than introducing one world update followed by another, that‘s nice but not important. I wait for the next sim update before I start flying again… sadly.

6 Likes

Please, not such amount of big letters in a posts, there are rules.

Related to your point , and what other users mentioned before, exist a wish topic:

The Voting System in the forum is much better, than big letters :wink:

This topic here is for the problem “that the connection is lost” , at least msfs determined it as that. The situation can still can happen, also if a possible problem in determination of connection issues exist and a fix will be implemented. The improvement of the handling in such a “valid connection lost” case is then the wish topic.

There are four separate problems here:

1. We get low bandwidth messages because the servers are overloaded. For goodness sake, can’t Microsoft provide a scalable cloud service?

2. When the sim thinks bandwidth is low, it tells the user through a modal dialog that prevents the user controlling the aircraft. There’s nothing the user can do about it anyway: it’s a server issue.

3. It doesn’t appear to tell Microsoft that their server is inadequate. OK, that might be hard at a time when they’ve lost contact, but the system could make a note of the problem and report it when possible.

4. A brief disconnection disables online functionality, even after the connection is restored. Though I suspect this might have been fixed recently. Or maybe I’ve just been lucky.

2 Likes

MSFS communicates with many different servers at the same time:

• Xbox Live for authentication
  • Bing Maps
  • Photogrammetry
  • ATC
  • Traffic
  • Weather
  • … others

They can solve this with better logic for monitoring and handling the status of each of these services. For example if one service is slow or goes offline, but the others are fine, report that to Microsoft / Azure / Asobo automatically so they can see patterns of problems automatically and fix them. And if any service is offline, MSFS should have graceful fallback to allow the use to just keep flying, uninterrupted.

The current behaviour is what a programmer would use in “debug” mode. But debugging server issues is Microsoft’s job, not the Pilot’s job.

4 Likes

Yes can confirm it is happening again. Was flying the Fenix yesterday, went to answer the door and came back to the message. After pressing the ok button, the plane lost speed fell in to the coffin corner speed, disconnected Auto Pilot and had a lot of issues. I was able to recover it, but it wasn’t great.

The issue is definitely back.

Here we go again, another flight having the experience ruined

4 Likes

I have tried to make an official request, for a top-down, high-level review of how MSFS behaves in handling the whole range of Network / Connection / Server issues.

MSFS depends on many connections, and because it is the internet, and global, they have to expect connection slow downs and interruptions. But currently the MSFS logic breaks the moment there is the slightest pothole on the superhighway, and it shouldn’t. So I’m asking they actually review the overall logic: connection errors should go to Microsoft, and more should be done to NOT interrupt flight.

1 Like